Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

'05 LSJ, intermittent no crank no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 LSJ, intermittent no crank no start problem

Hi folks. I recently bought an 05 LSJ. Did some much needed maintenance and the car has been great. Recently however it has been temperamental. Sorry for the lengthy post but I want to be fully thorough in explanation.

The issue, it lately will not start early in the morning ( 4:30am ). To be specific, sitting out all night dew and moisture everywhere, I can go out & insert the key to ignition with door still open and there isn't a dinger bell chime. Turn the key to on, no cluster illumination, no automatic lights, nothing. Will not crank at all. I check the battery with my multi-meter and it reads 12.5/12.6 volts usually. I can beep the horn and manually turn the headlamps on. It's as if the computer will not even try to wake up. So I take my other car to work. I come home in the afternoon and try to start the car, dinger chime works, mileage is illuminated in the cluster, security light is blinking like normal, the car cranks and starts fine.

This has happened for the past two weeks. Now just this past week it has started to work, but dies mid-crank. I can see the security light blinking when I look in the window, unlock ( door handle key lock, no RKE ). Open the door and the dome works. Key in ignition chime is working, turn to on and automatic lamps come on, hit the clutch and turn the key, it tries cranking for 1 second and then black out dead. I go to check the battery, 12.68v. So in short it tries to but then it quits.

Now today and yesterday, it has still been dead after coming home. Same thing, multi-meter reads 12.55, I can turn the headllights on, nothing that seems computer related will operate. It wont even remotely turn on right now. The security light is not blinking, it is completely out. They key in the ON position the cluster is completely dead. PCM connections look inserted and snug, relays are all in, no blown fuses. I am at a complete loss.

Under the hood in the fuse box the RUN/CRANK relay had a black X on it. I called the previous owner questioning it and he said turn the key to on, pull that relay, and put it back in. Yesterday that worked, today it did not. I bought a new relay, did not fix it. Rubbed the battery posts and terminals with sand paper, checked for any loose wiring under the hood and around the starter, not a thing. It's pretty much out of my hands at this point, any suggestions?

To add notes, the P.O. had some cheap poly motor and trans mounts in the car, I replaced the motor mount back to stock so far ( I hate the vibration ) and the engine didn't sag down bad so I don't think anything could have came loose. I just had the ignition recall done as the P.O. never took it in for it. The dealer is my next step but I don't want them finding out it isn't their recall work and charging me for the work especially if its something small and foolish like a sensor somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is a quick video I recorded earlier.

And a pic of my car for kicks.
Name:  20160816_195020_zpshtqmatyo.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  223.0 KB
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM

It worked yesterday and I drove it around. Now today it's not anywhere near alive. Battery is at 12.7 and I got the same testing the jump start lead at fuse panel to a ground. I'm about ready to push the car off a bridge.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:50 PM

Fixed it. I suspect an aftermarket moonroof is in the car. It shakes and has a mesh shade, these wires run up the passenger side A-pillar towards the moonroof.. Anyway in the console fuse panel section I discovered a wire tap with two 10amp fuses. Moving it around caused the computer to come on and off. So I chalked it up to a poor install. I secured the connection pin and taped it to the wire loom so it does not flex around again.

Name:  20160914_205943_zpsy0amebrh.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  201.7 KB