Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2.2 transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 transmission problem?

It has been happening for about 2 months now and I really haven't had time to go to the dealer because of school. In 2 weeks I will definitely be bringing the cobalt in but here's a list off the tidbits. I just want to make sure the car won't leave me stranded anytime soon.

downshift Neutral blip throttle ~3k @ 45mph to 2nd gear and the sync grind up. This happens from here and there, there is only so far the clutch can be pressed.

downshift Neutral blip ~3k @ 15 mph to 1st gear its really stubborn. Without forcing it into 1st it makes a faint clank sound that doesn't sound too kosher.

here and there after 2 minute warm up I try reversing but it only activates the reverse light. I have to course through all of the gears then it locks in.

Gears 3-5 are pretty solid. This car is never raced (lol 2.2 and race?). And driven normally.

Any insight would be helpful.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:28 PM

your transmission's synchros are either bad from the factory or you're not disengaging the clutch all the way which is chewing up the synchros. try double clutch downshifting into first at 15 mph and if that doesn't solve the problem take the car to the crusher. if you don't know how to double clutch downshift just ask and i'll tell you how
Old 12-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by girl loves cars
your transmission's synchros are either bad from the factory or you're not disengaging the clutch all the way which is chewing up the synchros. try double clutch downshifting into first at 15 mph and if that doesn't solve the problem take the car to the crusher. if you don't know how to double clutch downshift just ask and i'll tell you how
wow, that post rocked my world...

double clutching this trans will do absolutely nothing. I pray to god your trying to be funny. all gears are synchronized except reverse if I recall correctly. I would try downshifting normal and see what happens. why are you blipping the throttle? and are you clutchless shifting a lot? (only reason for blipping really...) obviously it sounds like the blocker rings on the syncro are worn out. I'd drain the fluid and check for blocker ring material in the oil.(either brass or clutch type material.) I'd also check for proper clutch pedal travel, as in make sure nothing is stopping it from going to the floor. sounds simple and dumb, but it happens.. do you rest your hand on the shifter a lot? you could be wearing your shift fork out a bit which explains not locking into gear fully.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:27 PM

Double clutch? That's like a dim sun...

Anyways the reason for the throttle blip was to make the clutch engagement much easier, less wear on the clutch. I don't think I ever no-clutched it . I do rest my hand on the shifter but no jiggle. The gear locks aren't loose it's more so doesn't let me into reverse or first. The gear doesn't pop out or anything.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First of all, stop trying to downshift into second gear at 45mph, your car isnt happy about that.

Secondly if with the clutch fully depressed you cant shift into a gear without excessive force or grinding then you have an issue. It could be clutch but its highly unlikely since 3-5 are ok. Youre either rougher than you know on your trans (I vote this due to your 45mph downshifts in 2nd) or you got some of the mediocre synchros. Either way you most likely need then to be replaced
Old 12-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
First of all, stop trying to downshift into second gear at 45mph, your car isnt happy about that.

Secondly if with the clutch fully depressed you cant shift into a gear without excessive force or grinding then you have an issue. It could be clutch but its highly unlikely since 3-5 are ok. Youre either rougher than you know on your trans (I vote this due to your 45mph downshifts in 2nd) or you got some of the mediocre synchros. Either way you most likely need then to be replaced
hot damn that's sig worthy.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 AM

The downshifting is done for braking purposes really, it's kinda sensless to course through 3 gears from 45 - 20 in a matter of 5 seconds while the brakes are applied. I'd kinda look retarded riding around town at 4.5 rpm...
Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cougar
The downshifting is done for braking purposes really, it's kinda sensless to course through 3 gears from 45 - 20 in a matter of 5 seconds while the brakes are applied. I'd kinda look retarded riding around town at 4.5 rpm...
Your brakes are for stopping the car, clutches and synchros are a lot more expensive than pads and rotors, and I have a feeling youre gonna find that out the hard way.

There is zero reason to be downshifting into 2nd at 45mph.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM

The F23 is notoriously weak on the synchros. A number of members on G5club have had theirs replaced.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
Your brakes are for stopping the car, clutches and synchros are a lot more expensive than pads and rotors, and I have a feeling youre gonna find that out the hard way.

There is zero reason to be downshifting into 2nd at 45mph.
Alright thanks for the input, hey its something learned and to be corrected. So just for the record, blipping throttle and downshifting still hurts the clutch and syncros? I'll make sure not to mention any downshifting when they ask.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cougar
Alright thanks for the input, hey its something learned and to be corrected. So just for the record, blipping throttle and downshifting still hurts the clutch and syncros? I'll make sure not to mention any downshifting when they ask.
Blipping the throttle when downshifting SAVES your clutch and sychros. I constantly rev-match when I downshift and have been doing it for 80,000 miles and my clutch and sychros work perfectly.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:11 PM

why would giving a little throttle hurt the syncros? by raising the rpms when downshifting your actually taking a lot of work off of them. . .
Old 12-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by exiged
why would giving a little throttle hurt the syncros? by raising the rpms when downshifting your actually taking a lot of work off of them. . .
Exactly...
Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM

no,blipping the throttle doesnt hurt the synchros, rev matching is helpful to the trans, it means less work for the synchros and so long as you arent rev crazy and are doing it properly its actually less load on the clutch as well. Rev matching is actually the key part of a proper double declutch shift, and just as it is required to properly do a DC shift it can make life on your trans a bit easier if done properly even a synchro box like ours, the issue is that even though its less load on the clutch, it is actually more wear since youre revving the engine with the clutch plate spinning.

Double clutching is more steps and more work,and more wear on the clutch hydraulics and pressure plate(twice as much work) and doesnt help if you do it wrong.

Rev matching on a normal shift can help if you do it right, it reduces load on the synchros and clutch when done properly, however it can actulay cause increased wear when done improperly.(by forcing them to spin faster and then abruptly slow down, remember synchros are little clutches, anything that you do that makes a clutch unhappy makes a synchro unhappy usually)

Short throw shifters exaggerate all these synchro issues, so does worn or improper fluid.