Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2006 SS Sedan "No Disk" "Disk Error"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SS Sedan "No Disk" "Disk Error"

Hello everyone!

I hope you're well... doing well! hehe First off, I just want to say that I love my Cobalt. It's been a great car in the 9 months I've had it now. I got it for a great price at a dealership, thanks to an advertised price that they accidentally put far too low, plus they had to match it due to California State Law... haha, just about the only time the law has ever been to my advantage.

Either way, about 4 months into owning this used vehicle, the CD player just up and quit on me.

Unfortunately I didn't get a warranty on this vehicle as the reason I got it was the price and I couldn't afford to upgrade to a good warranty... I know, dumb of me...

Either way, one day I get in the car and all of a sudden the cd player says "No Disk" and then "Disk Error"... now here's the thing, I don't know if there's a disk in there already. It won't play it, if there is.

Anyone else had this problem? If so, would mind helping out a fellow Cobalt owner? Thanks!!

Last edited by el wiseguy; 09-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

sorry we dont help people on this site, period! im kidding man welcome, pm emporerj he is the electronic guru here
Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 AM

yeah welcome to the site man and there are two ways to fix this either try and get the dealer to reprogram your radio sometimes that works but most of the time no or get a radio off ebay or here and have the dealer program it or aftermarket
Old 09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

if you NEED to buy one i have the oem radio 05-06 non ss
Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The no disc error is usually caused by the same thing as you get from dvd players.
Some one shoves the tray or cd into hard or to fast and the tray or the automatic feeder skips a tooth and the laser now doesnt line up to the disc.
This is a easy fix normally on a dvd player but on a car stereo you will need to remove it from ther car
and tear it apart.
I say just get another one to replace it.

One other thing is you could try cleaning the laser with some rubbing alcohol if you can get in there with a Q-tip.
This might also solve your problem
Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks for all of the responses.

sorry we dont help people on this site, period! im kidding man welcome, pm emporerj he is the electronic guru here
Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

yeah welcome to the site man and there are two ways to fix this either try and get the dealer to reprogram your radio sometimes that works but most of the time no or get a radio off ebay or here and have the dealer program it or aftermarket
I've looked on ebay and found a few. One thing I was going to try was to get the program code from the dealership and then pull the fuse for the stereo and try to reprogram it myself. Then again, I don't want to jack up a working stereo when that part still at least works.

if you NEED to buy one i have the oem radio 05-06 non ss
Thank you so much. I'll take that into consideration as I figure out what I do next. Will a non SS work the same as an SS stereo? I do have the Pioneer Bass sub that came with the car in the trunk.

The no disc error is usually caused by the same thing as you get from dvd players.
Some one shoves the tray or cd into hard or to fast and the tray or the automatic feeder skips a tooth and the laser now doesnt line up to the disc.
This is a easy fix normally on a dvd player but on a car stereo you will need to remove it from ther car
and tear it apart.
I say just get another one to replace it.

One other thing is you could try cleaning the laser with some rubbing alcohol if you can get in there with a Q-tip.
This might also solve your problem
Yeah, I've considered this but it's hard to get into a slot loaded cd player like the Cobalt (and most cars) have. I've been a manager at an Electronics/Computer Repair store for years and have fixed plenty of dvd players... but, breaking into my car's dash makes me hesitant. lol

I really was hoping that the issue would be as easy as replacing a fuse, a program button combination, or something simple. But, you know how hoping for something simple goes.

Thank you all for your replies... I've gotta figure this out, it's drivin' me nuts.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 PM

i have the same problem, cant get the cd out of the player. every time i start the car it says "disc error" then when hit eject button it says no disc.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM

give it a shot then hit eject (i did this every time the stock deck ate my cds). take out radio and toss in the garbage. buy an aftermarket one and you're set.

a non pioneer (stock) deck wont work for you.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 AM

I killed my battery fixing a misfire issue (bad coil resistor) jumped the same type of balt you have (`06 ss/na sedan auto w/pioneer audio in my case) and the CD player was again alive! It was random as all heck I know, but try disconnecting the battery for a LOOOOOONNNGGGG time when you can, and see if you can bring "Frankenstein" to life too! Good luck, and if no go there search for a xm to aux input mod - saved me the torment of having to listening to local radio programming, and it was easy too! As I said - good luck!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM

Heeeeyyy, anyone else find a solution to this? My radio started doing this to me yesterday. I can't remember if there's a CD in it or not.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad I can finally help ! I just had this problem. For over 2 years I was to lazy to fix this and I just did fix it the other week. Buy a cd player off of someone on here. Take it apart and take the whole cd part out of the radio. Take your apart and exchange them. It's about 25 screws but it's not important if they get mixed up or if you loose 2 or 10. Just be careful take your time. Just need a little screw driver. Prob fix your problem for 20 bucks. That's what I did and it works fine. Didn't have to reprogram or anything. All I did was exchange cd players. Not the whole radio
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
or just pull the radio fuse, wait a few minutes put fuse back in and hit eject. It will spit the CD out, but wont fix the CD eating issue. That you'll have to swap out the entire radio or the cd unit like turboecotec02 said
Old 05-12-2015, 12:14 AM

Wicked! I'll definitely hit up a junkyard and grab a cd deck. Thanks for the help!