Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2008 LNF: Service ESC/ Service Traction

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 LNF: Service ESC/ Service Traction

Been having a funky problem with my LNF for about a year now that's gradually gotten worse.

Symptoms:
- The car will frequently stumble under throttle, which is most noticeable going up hill. I feel it constantly as the throttle cuts in and out. Seems to do it more when the car is warmed up as it doesn't happen right after firing up the car. At first I thought this was a misfire, but now I'm thinking otherwise.
- I constantly feel the ABS kicking in with the brake pedal when it has no business doing so. Even when coming to a gentle stop.

Warning Lights & Follow Up Behavior:
- These issues will progressively get worse the longer the drive. Until eventually I'll get a 'Service ESC & Service traction message come up on the display. The Traction and ABS lights will come on with these warnings. When this happens the issues are RESOLVED. There are no more throttle cut outs and the ABS stops acting up. The car feels like it drives great after this. I'm leaning toward this being some kind of faulty sensor or something in the car.
- When the car is turned off and turned back on the issue comes back. The warning lights are gone and the car with stumble and brake improperly until I either reach my destination or the warning lights come back.

Does anyone have any experience or insight as to what this might be? Input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited by nobody2u; 07-05-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
You might be on the right track with a faulty sensor, without a scanner that can check bcm codes it's hard to guess. One temporary fix would be to pull the ABS fuse to prevent the car from even attempting abs control the same as when the service esc & service traction message occurs.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
You might be on the right track with a faulty sensor, without a scanner that can check bcm codes it's hard to guess. One temporary fix would be to pull the ABS fuse to prevent the car from even attempting abs control the same as when the service esc & service traction message occurs.
Thank you for the input. Yeah not having a code scanner is definitely part of the issue- I can't always replicate the error code and it's never there when the car first comes on. Unless it's being stored then I can't guarantee a shop would be able to see it. Sometimes the ABS light will linger after engine restart briefly but will go away after about 20 seconds. Makes taking it to a shop difficult. I'd have to bring it to them still running or something. I'll try pulling the ABS fuse and see if that changes anything.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:42 PM

Just a small update on this one: tried manually shutting off the ESC and going for a drive. Did not change anything with the ABS or the stuttering. Was reading some other threads as well trying to pinpoint this issue. While I haven't yet found someone to describe the exact same problem things to do with the wheel speed sensor seemed to come up.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
So this worked when the ABS fuse was pulled- it’s definitely the ABS kicking on under throttle. When I pulled the fuse it was like the code had come on by itself at there is no longer an issue. Will have to see where this leads me now.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:20 AM

To whom this may concern in the future. The mechanic replaced the front right wheel hub and the wheel speed sensor and the problem is now fixed.
The following 2 users liked this post by nobody2u:
DeanSsspsh (08-09-2019), Tylink720 (02-23-2021)
Old 10-28-2020, 06:43 PM

Received 84 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by nobody2u
To whom this may concern in the future. The mechanic replaced the front right wheel hub and the wheel speed sensor and the problem is now fixed.
Bro i'm having the exact same problem all week with my car. Its a 2007 Pontiac g5 GT. I got reduced engine power and T/C light on and service traction message. Tried turning the car off and back on to clear the code but it came back on again. Might have to take to shop soon to see whats up with this problem. How much did it cost you to fix the problem? I already replaced my passenger side hub assembly last year so it might be the drivers side now and or the speed sensor .