Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Alternator/Water pump/AC Comp Bearings Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator/Water pump/AC Comp Bearings Bad?

My 06 SS/SC with 58,xxx miles on it starting getting a squeaking sound from the front of the engine. It just started one day (the day after driving in heavy snow) and got progressively louder and louder and the days went on. It only does it when the car is cold. After 5 or 10 minutes of driving, it quiets up. It doesn't seem to rpm match, meaning it doesn't seem to speed up when I rev the engine, at least not that I can tell. I can't see anything out of the ordinary. My belt is clean and tight.

I thought maybe the timing chain tensioner after reading lots of posts about people replacing them. I pulled the valve cover off and inspected it. The timing chain seemed good and tight, the tensioner seemed fine. I thought maybe it was a worn blower snout coupler or low oil, but the noise isn't coming from the blower. I did the old screwdriver handle to the ear trick. I'm pretty convinced that it is either the alternator or A/C pump bearings going bad, or maybe the water pump. Everything seems to work ok, but it is definitely getting worse and is very noticeable, even inside the car.

The reason that I mentioned the snow was because I thought maybe I got water inside something that shouldn't have gotten water in it. I was driving in about 6" of snow for a few hours.

I'm about ready to start throwing parts at it and see if I can figure it out. I don't want it to finally crap out on the side of the road somewhere.

Also, it is most definitely a squeak, not grinding or metal on metal or anything like that. It does it regardless of clutch or transmission position.

Anybody have any similar problems?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I searched a few times, but couldn't find anything exactly like my problem.