Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Bled all new clutch parts, still an issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bled all new clutch parts, still an issue

I installed the GMPP clutch kit, LUK flywheel, flywheel bolts. GM master cylinder, clutch pipe and distribution elbow. The only thing not new was the hard line from master to distribution elbow.

I did not fill the master or slave before installing or some call this bench bleeding. i vacuum bled the system from master at 15hg as stated from procedure and even did the 2-man method. I have no leaks and my clutch pedal has good pressure. Now the problem I’m running into is notchy shifting now which I didn’t have the past 15k miles. Mainly happens when I am taking off and shifting from 1st to 2nd. It can be cold or even warm after driving for some time. The feel is almost like something is catching when I’m shifting “out of first gear”.

If I roll to a stop, I can shift out of first without that catching feel. I’m not having to use a lot of force when I shift out of first while rolling but it is catching.

Things I have tried/checked:

Trans fluid is GM fluid from CED and is new and full. No leaks

Brake fluid is full in master cylinder and new with DOT3. Brake pedal is firm. Did an ABS bleed with a snap-on tool just to make sure.

Checked shift cables and adjusted my OTTP billet clamps to spec to make sure it isn’t hanging up or binding.

Shifting is great when car is off.

The new clutch isn’t slipping or dragging. I did the clutch drag test. Shifts great in all gears. And even from 1st reverse and the other way around without issues. The only issue is how first gear catches when shifting to 2nd or even neutral while rolling.

My only other options is maybe change the top trans mount because there was some slight cracking on the rubber or even buying the Motive pressure bleeder to try pressure bleeding. I have read numerous posts from this forum, hhr forum, and even the Saab forums about how the f35 trans is a pain to remove air from system if I didn’t prefil the slave/TOB before installing.

i need advice!

Last edited by Keith-SS; 02-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:14 AM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
What happens to your shifter feel if you open the clamp and shift the stick slightly more to the right?

I know adjustment of the aftermarket sts setups can be a pain at times (I've had a TWM for years). It took some time for me to get it in a spot where it felt perfect both off and running. Felt great and started it up, couldn't get 5th/reverse. Slight adjustment, lost 1st/2nd.

PS, glad the LuK worked for you. We recently found some have issues with the GMPP and LuK combo.

​​​​

Last edited by Tdubbs; 02-14-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:46 AM

I messed with the shifter clamps yesterday and tried different adjustments and drove for a bit. The leaving first gear catch is still there. I even followed the cables to see if they were binding or bent. I’m gonna try bleeding again with a pressure bleeder when it comes in.

I just can’t figure out what is catching when shifting out of first

I followed the LUK flywheel thread and seen how several people had an issue with dragging. So far mine doesn’t.

anyone ever tried back bleeding with a large syringe? Here is a link. https://www.saabcentral.com/threads/...clutch.148214/

Last edited by Keith-SS; 02-14-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:45 PM

Well I think I found my issue on my shifting problem. I bled the clutch again using the 2-person method. 7 more manual bleeds and was getting good fluid so I must of had air trapped. Also I went back through and followed Powell’s procedure on tightening all 4 mounts and noticed when I loosened the bottom mounts the tension was released and motor moved about 1/2”-1” .

All bolts tightened with ease but I removed the mounts to inspect except my powell front mount and my upper trans mount looks pretty worn with heavy cracks but the material hasn’t separated. I’m thinking of replacing with OEM or maybe the OTTP upper trans mount for F35. Any suggestions would help on the OTTP.