Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch problem, maybe even the tranny?

so my 05 cobalt ls seems to have a problem, i almost need to force my shifter into the first gear. and its not every time, so whats on the go, it seems it happends when im least expecting it, and then when i try to recreate the problem, as in the way it happend i just cant do it, it seems its happening when i drive, then go straight to neutral and coast, i know i know, i just dont downshift when theres snow on the road, and its -10, so i dont think heat is a problem,and when i do go from neutral to first and the problem occurs, you can almost feel it getting into gear, im assuming i got the clutch messed up somehow, and my 3rd gear grinds quite a bit.
sometimes even when im at a light, if i hold in the clutch and just mess with the shifter and go from neutral to second or first to second (im not moving now) the gear dosent go completly in, and i dont move it when that happends because im afraid itll grind like mad.
anyone else have this problem? and i dont mess with the gears, its only started to happen recently, anyone know if the warrenty covers? i just ran over 28000 10 minutes ago.

Last edited by louiefan; 02-07-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM

bump...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be synchros. I would have them look at it, the worst they can tell you is it's a clutch and it's not covered, but if it's synchros you DEFINITELY want that fixed under warranty. My SS/SC is hard to get into first, I don't know how the gearing is in the base models, but I know in the SS/SC it's very difficult to put the car into first, as well it should be. You really shouldn't be using first while moving unless it's < about 5 mph or so. But from a stop it shouldn't give you too much trouble.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine was a little tough to when i would put it into first on the move. but once i got down to about 5 mph it would go in pretty smooth. i dunno what to tell you man. i just adapted to it
Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM

yeah, well i was just wondering if its something to be worried about. because the car is my dads and mine, and whenever i set the car for an appointment, he takes it, regardless if he needs it or not, and if its gonna break, im hoping it breaks when hes driving it, just show he shoulda not been a ******* and let me take the car to get it checked..
Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 AM

How fast are you going when you try to put it into 1st? I don't think you can get in first if you're going more than 15mph...on older cars you could actually feel the shifter vibrate if you tried to do that but on the newer ones it just doesn't go in.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM

nix read, i said when im at a STOP, it its 40km that you cant put the car in first. so probly around 15 -20 mph for the americans.i know how to drive a standard, im not a too and run the gears like mad.... and i said i can get it in, but i just have to push, please read what was said befor you post.
thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by louiefan
nix read, i said when im at a STOP, it its 40km that you cant put the car in first. so probly around 15 -20 mph for the americans.i know how to drive a standard, im not a too and run the gears like mad.... and i said i can get it in, but i just have to push, please read what was said befor you post.
thanks
You're an arrogant ass. Don't ask for help. I was trying to clarify and offer a possible solution. Take it to the dealer if you can't get it into 1st at a complete stop, what would make you think this is normal if you know how to drive a manual transmission?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so my 05 cobalt ls seems to have a problem, i almost need to force my shifter into the first gear. and its not every time, so whats on the go, it seems it happends when im least expecting it, and then when i try to recreate the problem, as in the way it happend i just cant do it, it seems its happening when i drive, then go straight to neutral and coast, i know i know, i just dont downshift when theres snow on the road, and its -10, so i dont think heat is a problem,and when i do go from neutral to first and the problem occurs, you can almost feel it getting into gear, im assuming i got the clutch messed up somehow, and my 3rd gear grinds quite a bit.
sometimes even when im at a light, if i hold in the clutch and just mess with the shifter and go from neutral to second or first to second (im not moving now) the gear dosent go completly in, and i dont move it when that happends because im afraid itll grind like mad.
anyone else have this problem? and i dont mess with the gears, its only started to happen recently, anyone know if the warrenty covers? i just ran over 28000 10 minutes ago.
Sometimes you have to put it in second before you can get it in first. Even from a dead stop. Things just odn't line up in some circumstances until you do that.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM

You're an arrogant ass. Don't ask for help. I was trying to clarify and offer a possible solution. Take it to the dealer if you can't get it into 1st at a complete stop, what would make you think this is normal if you know how to drive a manual transmission?

im an arrogant ass well said friend , im just letting you know that you should read befor you post. im trying to get help, not make enemies, if you want to be a jackass, go ahead, obviosly your attempt at offering me a solution was a waste of your time and mine, yet again, you didnt read, i didnt say i couldnt get it into first, its that i need to give it a little push....
Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 PM

im an arrogant ass well said friend , im just letting you know that you should read befor you post. im trying to get help, not make enemies, if you want to be a jackass, go ahead, obviosly your attempt at offering me a solution was a waste of your time and mine, yet again, you didnt read, i didnt say i couldnt get it into first, its that i need to give it a little push....
Learn to write? I have now reread your initial post around 6 times and it still reads like you're trying to put it into first from neutral while you're coasting (except for the part where you're at a light). The above part that I quoted is hard to read too... If you have to give it a little push to put it in 1st gear I don't know where the problem is... If it's grinding despite having the clutch fully engaged and being completely in gear then there's a problem and you should have that looked at. If its only grinding into 3rd gear then I doubt it's a clutch problem. I know that bouncing out of 3rd was a common problem in old cars when accelerating at full throttle, but I'm pretty sure that is no longer an issue.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 PM

congradulations, you can read, now the talks getting a bit better, thanks for taking the time and doing so, but yeah, i probly just should go to the dealer.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 PM

congradulations, you can read, now the talks getting a bit better, thanks for taking the time and doing so, but yeah, i probly just should go to the dealer.
Your sarcastic tone is what got you called an arrogant ass in the first place. I read it the first time and it is not my problem you aren't clear when you write.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM

im not sarcastic.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:49 AM

My Pontiac g5 does the same "bull ****",(has been from brand new) If I'm at a drive thru, or traffic light from neutral I try to find first to move off It's stiff to go in, I normally go into third or fifth first come off the clutch just enough to feel the engine slightly bog then press the clutch all the way back in then attempt to find first gear and it always slides in easily after, I don't think it is anything more than over-tight gear box clearances or possibly a clutch design that does not completly release so there is still main shaft rotation
at idle, I'm planing on using pure synthetic Amsoil Extreme gear box oil in mine it may help with the situation.
P.S. The gear box used on our cars are Getrag transmissions out of Germany, they make many gear boxes for BMW and many other brands they are supposed to be a good company with many years experience....
Old 04-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Drag-Sargeant
My Pontiac g5 does the same "bull ****",(has been from brand new)

P.S. The gear box used on our cars are Getrag transmissions out of Germany, they make many gear boxes for BMW and many other brands they are supposed to be a good company with many years experience....
My G5 does this too. I think it's just very tight gearbox tolerances.

Yes, the F23 gearbox in the G5 and Cobalt is made by Getrag, which is a German company. However, our F23 gearboxes are built in a plant in Italy. Getrag gearboxes are known to be pretty good, but they also have a well-earned reputation of being very noisy. The '87 BMW 325 I had before my G5 had a Getrag 5 speed, and it was the noisiest damn transmission but it was very strong and worked flawlessly.

By the way, Drag - does the gearbox in your G5 whine when coasting or decelerating?
Old 04-08-2007, 03:26 AM

mine does the same thing. it really seems like the clutch isn't releasing fully. anyone know if there's an adjustment on the clutch pedal?