Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Code U0101

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Code U0101

My car started acting funny last night. Displays Power Steering on the display center when I start the car. No speedo, no outside temp, no trip counter, etc. When I'm driving it feels like my car is always in second gear and wont shift at all. I did some research on the code and there were a few solutions to this code (wiring loose to the transmission, TCM is shot, etc...) I was just wondering if anyone has had this code before and what your remedy to the problem was? Thanks!

Also, if replacing the TCM is the the solution, will I have to have the dealer program the new TCM before it will work in my car, or will the TCM be able to be swapped right in and work?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM

Bump! need some help!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U codes are for communication between modules. it could be a data line circuit problem or module itself. Testing requires schematics.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM

So this would definitely be something to take the car the dealer for?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM

I can get a new or used TCM online for $25-$125 shipped. Does anyone know if the dealer would need to program it or would I be able to drop it right in.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Hope this helps. Maybe something you can take in to the dealership with you.

Trouble Code: U0101 (2.2L L4 VIN F Auto)
Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Trouble Code Conditions:
Voltage supplied to the modules is in the normal operating voltage range. The vehicle power mode requires serial data communication to occur. The DTC U0001 does not have a current status.

Possible Causes:

■A poor connection at the inoperative module may cause this code to set.

■An improperly powered module may cause this code to set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trouble Code: U0101 00 (2.2L L4 VIN F Auto)
Lost Communication With TCM Print this code data

Trouble Code Conditions:
The system voltage is between 9-16 V.

Possible Causes:

■A supervised periodic message that includes the transmitter module availability has not been received.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

tpete763,

It looks like you may be headed to your dealership to get this looked into. If you have any questions about recall/warranty information, or would like assistance in working with the dealership, please send me a private message with more information (include the last 8 of your VIN).

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by willie_panic
Hope this helps. Maybe something you can take in to the dealership with you.

Trouble Code: U0101 (2.2L L4 VIN F Auto)
Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Trouble Code Conditions:
Voltage supplied to the modules is in the normal operating voltage range. The vehicle power mode requires serial data communication to occur. The DTC U0001 does not have a current status.

Possible Causes:

■A poor connection at the inoperative module may cause this code to set.

■An improperly powered module may cause this code to set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trouble Code: U0101 00 (2.2L L4 VIN F Auto)
Lost Communication With TCM Print this code data

Trouble Code Conditions:
The system voltage is between 9-16 V.

Possible Causes:

■A supervised periodic message that includes the transmitter module availability has not been received.

Thanks for the info! does anyone know if the TCM has to have the vin number on it to function on the car? or does it just have to be programmed for the same transmission type that is in my car so the computer knows when to shift?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
tpete763,

It looks like you may be headed to your dealership to get this looked into. If you have any questions about recall/warranty information, or would like assistance in working with the dealership, please send me a private message with more information (include the last 8 of your VIN).

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Thanks Sarah, the dealer would definitely be my last option though. I would like to try and replace the TCM and see if it fixes the issue, unless it needs to be programmed with my car's VIN. The last time I was at the dealer (about 7 months ago) I had electrical issues as well and I didn't like the way the service rep treated me.

The first time i brought my car to them it was overheating and there was a bad ground with the cooling fan. The rep called me and told me and told me that I was out of my extended warranty (bought one to 78K miles) and that I would have to pay out of pocket. He told me I had too many miles on the car and it was out of the extended warranty (I only had 73K and some change). I gave them the benefit of the doubt this time and figured someone made an error and wrote down the wrong mileage when the car came in.

The next time I brought the car (p2138 and p2135 codes) in I was told that my battery had to be replaced because it was so dead that the scan tool couldn't read the computer (the battery was less than a year old) so i paid $320 to have a battery installed, then they "fixed my car" by replacing the gas pedal assembly (the car broke again in less than 12 hours), I brought it back again the next day and they replaced the throttle body, and the wiring to it and the wiring to the gas pedal, then finally found the problem (a bad ECM). They replaced the ECM and the service rep called me and told me my car was ready to pick up, but the labor/parts weren't covered under my extended warranty (through Zurich).

I called my warranty company to see why the claim was denied and it turned out that the dealer NEVER even contacted them to try and even put the claim through. I obviously called the dealer and spoke to the service manager (who was very nice and said he would look into the situation and apologized). About an hour after I contacted the manager he called me back and informed me that all the claims were accepted by Zurich and my car was ready to be picked up. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sure you can imagine why I am avoiding taking my car back to this dealership (Manfredi Chevrolet in Staten Island).
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tpete763
Thanks Sarah, the dealer would definitely be my last option though. I would like to try and replace the TCM and see if it fixes the issue, unless it needs to be programmed with my car's VIN. The last time I was at the dealer (about 7 months ago) I had electrical issues as well and I didn't like the way the service rep treated me.

The first time i brought my car to them it was overheating and there was a bad ground with the cooling fan. The rep called me and told me and told me that I was out of my extended warranty (bought one to 78K miles) and that I would have to pay out of pocket. He told me I had too many miles on the car and it was out of the extended warranty (I only had 73K and some change). I gave them the benefit of the doubt this time and figured someone made an error and wrote down the wrong mileage when the car came in.

The next time I brought the car (p2138 and p2135 codes) in I was told that my battery had to be replaced because it was so dead that the scan tool couldn't read the computer (the battery was less than a year old) so i paid $320 to have a battery installed, then they "fixed my car" by replacing the gas pedal assembly (the car broke again in less than 12 hours), I brought it back again the next day and they replaced the throttle body, and the wiring to it and the wiring to the gas pedal, then finally found the problem (a bad ECM). They replaced the ECM and the service rep called me and told me my car was ready to pick up, but the labor/parts weren't covered under my extended warranty (through Zurich).

I called my warranty company to see why the claim was denied and it turned out that the dealer NEVER even contacted them to try and even put the claim through. I obviously called the dealer and spoke to the service manager (who was very nice and said he would look into the situation and apologized). About an hour after I contacted the manager he called me back and informed me that all the claims were accepted by Zurich and my car was ready to be picked up. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sure you can imagine why I am avoiding taking my car back to this dealership (Manfredi Chevrolet in Staten Island).

I certainly understand wanting to take a shot at it first, and am sorry to read about the experience you described with Manfredi. If you would like for me to write up an official complaint, please send me a private message with your name, phone, address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and any additional details about this visit (when it was, etc).

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM

I'll be buying the new TCM tonight when I'm home from work. Just bumping to see if anyone knows if my VIN has to be written on it for it work in my car.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM

bump, anyone?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM

Exclamation Fixed!!!!

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!! I was reading more online and seems that this is a common problem in cobalts when you use the engine bay connections to jump start another car!

the problem is that your tcm "shorts out" due to the voltage in the system fluctuating. I ordered a used TCM off ebay with the same part numbers and everything, but that was not the solution (Actually, I haven't even received the "new" used one in the mail yet). This is a super simple fix in fact. All I did was run a grounded wire between the body of the TCM (one of the holes in the corner) and a ground spot on the body (headlight bracket bolt).

I will clean up the wire and find a better ground closer the computers to ground it to in the future so I don't have so much wire hanging out, but this is how I hooked it up for now so I can drive again (red wire):

I hope this helps someone out in the future or if anyone is having trouble with the same problem right now! : I know I couldn't easily find a solution for this code/problem when I was looking!!! And thanks to anyone who had some input that helped!!!
The following users liked this post:
slow-ecotec (09-08-2021)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 AM

tried this, no luck
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DC02
tried this, no luck
Did you car start acting up after you jump started it or jump started someone else's car?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM

tpete, you'll love my temporary fix for this. And it has been a minor glitch for over a year now. It's just never gone completely to pot like it did yesterday. I have pulled this module out, I have tried your ground wire. However, when I ran my open fist up against it this morning, it fixed the problem. For now. Imagine that. "An open hand, doing what GM can't"
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by DC02
tpete, you'll love my temporary fix for this. And it has been a minor glitch for over a year now. It's just never gone completely to pot like it did yesterday. I have pulled this module out, I have tried your ground wire. However, when I ran my open fist up against it this morning, it fixed the problem. For now. Imagine that. "An open hand, doing what GM can't"
That's hilarious! I'm glad its working for ya for now though!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Scratch that, problem came back Saturday. No success clearing it up either. Damn thing won't even communicate with the cheapo AutoZone scanner either. Probably going to bit the $110 diag bullet and see what the dealer says...