Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Coolant or oil burning?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant or oil burning?!?

Alrighty, problem has arisen that’s gonna need address in timely manner. Right now, I have EVAP, MAF, O2, and a TB codes, have parts on way for those... Solenoid, new MAF, new O2, coupler for intake. Basics, problems solved. But a bigger problem has shown its ugly head. I have white smoke coming out exhaust. Doesn’t happen upon startup or normal driving, only under heavy acceleration or high revs. Head gasket may be worn (was told upon buying couple months ago; car had no coolant. I ran new coolant through along with BARS Head Gasket Sealer *temp fix I know*, flushed, ran new coolant again, now holds and doesn’t over heat in any way. Oil was milky white, drained and new oil, and filter were done and hasn’t been since). Dipstick pops out under heavy acceleration (I avoid doing runs and pulls right now) *have read it could be intake manifold gasket, rings, or PCV causing this* White smoke doesn’t appear till higher RPM range and then subdues and goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. Only started when dipstick popped. IC pump may have failed, seems to function here and there I’m thinking. Could the laminova cores failed in the endplate and are allowing coolant to slip by? I’m getting a compression check done next weekend, what do I need to look for as concerning, beside low numbers? Trying to eliminate possibilities for anxiety reasons. Thanks -Austin
Side note- the 4 parts listed should arrive next week, hence why I’m waiting on a compression check, also ordering a new IC Pump and gaskets all the way around just for safe measures. Again, thanks!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
If I were you and taking on this kind of project I would invest in an OBDII reader. They make very affordable bluetooth units that work with an android smartphone or tablet. This will allow you to read live data from your sensors such as IAT2 temps which would tell you if your IC pump is working.

Are you noticing your coolant level drop? Your intake manifold heat exchanger runs on a completely different system than your engine coolant. Have you checked the fluid level of your heat exchanger system? If you had a leaky laminova they tend to pull in more fluid under vacuum and then blow out a big puff of white smoke when you accelerate hard for enough air to come through to pick up the coolant that pooled in the bottom of the intake manifold.

As I said you shouldn't even be doing hard pulls until you get some of these issues rectified because improper fueling can lead to a blown engine which it sounds like you have. Based on your symptoms of white smoke, milky oil, and dipstick blowing out on hard acceleration it almost sounds like you have a cracked cylinder wall or head gasket issue. Though I would think with that intense of a problem you would definitely be able to notice your coolant level dropping as well as many misfires. This would show up on a compression test though you could help us help you a lot if you just pulled your spark plugs and put up a picture of them in order from cylinder 1 to 4 starting at the belt side of the engine.

If your coolant level isn't dropping have you noticed your oil level dropping? You could have very poor ring/cylinder wall condition which would cause oil consumption that would smoke more under higher rpm load. However you shouldn't have to drive very far to notice the oil level drop if you are consuming enough for it to smoke.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM

This is a mystery, only coolant I ever needed to add (after I fixed the milky oil and no coolant issue upon buying 3 months ago) is the super chargers coolant system. It ran down like 3-4 times, always filled back up, seems to be holding now tho . I know the two are run on different systems. One coolant system for motor, one for supercharger (goes through pump to endplate and flushed through H/E, repeat). Motor coolant reservoir is holding, and coolant is circulating. PCV piping is clean of any blockage. Vacuum pressures are normal. I’m gonna pull the plugs tonight if time allows. After I do the compression test and leakdown test, I will report back with findings. I do need an OBDII, I will look into one. ** Car has run without MAF, downstream O2, and EVAP system for past month and a half. Only way it would. I’ve got those replaced now and are working; CEL is still on tho. Going to see what’s up with it** *** Car has stopped smoking, and is running more smoothly now as of today*** Almost back to a factory standing point, just hoping it’s not rings at end of day (is what it is if so) but if anything just a head gasket (might as well upgrade the head at that point) sooooo..... but till I’ll report back soon. Thanks for the reply man.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
itll be the o-rings on the laminova cores in the manifold, i can guarantee it. the bottom of the manifold fills up and under light throttle it will stay there, but once you get under heavy throttle with some rpm itll pick it up and throw it into the ports, and the end is a giant cloud of white smoke out the back.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 PM

Well it blew up!!!! Was driving after topping off on gas and outta no where, POP, hard knock, pull over, no oil or coolant anywhere now. Just checked this morning and it was there. Refilled oil and coolant, fired back up and immediately shut off and oil on floor now. She’s toast, will have to pull apart this weekend to see extent
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Leaking oil through a hole in the block? Shitty deal but who knows how good that engine was to even start with. From the sounds of it wasn't any good anyway. If I were you I would look for a used LSJ long block that is in decent shape and swap it in. You may be able to get by with a short block but with the way this engine has been treated along with coolant in the oil who knows what kind of condition your cam bearings, lobes and rockers are in. It sounds like you need this car for daily use pretty bad so a long block would be the faster and easier option than trying to salvage what components might still be good in your current engine. There is a guy named Jeffery Reiland on facebook that is always parting out Cobalts and he just posted up 3 short or long blocks (can't remember for sure) for sale the other day.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:34 AM

I’m not sure if it’s a hole per say yet, didn’t look considering it was late when it happened, just seen oil on ground. Having towed by flat bed to the house and will look for exact wounds. Motor was hurt by previous, tried saving it. For 3 months she ran decently well from where she came, I don’t abuse my vehicles but she was prob too far hurt and ready to give. Good thing I got my 14’ Honda still to drive around in mean time lol. Yeah, long block is what ima be looking for, or just buy everything new. Gonna start tearing down this weekend and salvaging the parts I can and go from there.