Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cranking engine by hand

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranking engine by hand

I'm putting the engine back together after a head gasket failure. The head maintained pressure for 60 minutes without dropping 1PSI when it was tested so we went ahead and had it completely overhauled.

I got the cams and crank aligned, set the chain, popped the tensioner out.

I went to turn the motor clockwise by hand with the crank pulley.

Plugs are all out.

There was too much resistance to turn it, however my hands had sweat and oil on them.

I tightened the old bolt onto pulley. (will eventually be replacing with new bolt)

When I crank with a 1/2" socket wrench it turns very easily and then reaches a point of
resistance.

It doesn't feel like a valve or make any noises. I can hear air squeezing out somewhere when I turn it through the resistance. I'm hoping this is normal and the tension is just from the valve springs, cams, pistons, belt tensioner, etc...

The resistance is not constant, but it does happen at the same period of revolutions. I have turned the engine a dozen times and personally I feel like the resistance is normal since it happens on every cylinder and doesn't feel like metal on metal.

I'm 99.9% sure the timing was correct when I initially set it. I did not notice the chain jump a tooth but what's in the back of my head is that the tensioner is oil driven and since the engines not running it could have skipped a tooth without me noticing.

Anyway I know it makes the most sense to just take the timing cover off and re-do the timing but has anyone done this job or have cranked their engine by hand and noticed this. Or is this 100% not normal?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Timing procedure

I have three resources for the timing procedure but still have a few questions for someone who has performed it successfully. Please PM me if you have!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
A little resistence is normal even with all the plugs out. A lit of resistance is an issue.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 PM

Tow roped the car to a tech who knows more than I. Timing was definitely off, by a tooth. The tech ended up using the line marker on the timing cover to align the crank, which is not at 12 or 1 o clock as specified in the service manuals. The crank was a little before 12 o clock . So the valve was definitely making contact but after everything was corrected the engine fired up immediately. What a relief on what ended up being a more extensive repair than originally anticipated.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope its still timed right, The only way to know for sure its in time is by the crank gear.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
What c Miller said. If the valves made contact that's more then a little resistence. Btw one tooth out of time the car will still run and run prety decent but will throw correlation codes if you have vvt. Anything passed that it will run like crap and you rum the possibility of valve contact