Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Problem

so.. sorry if this is in the wrong catagory but anyways. im wondering if anybody knows why my cruise control wouldnt be working anymore... it just stopped one day i feel like. im pretty sure it worked after i installed my intake. so idk y it wouldnt work. basically wat happens is.. i turn on the cruise control switch on the left of the steering wheel so it is lit up. then while staying at a steady speed, say 75 mph, i press and hold the set button. just so everyone knows ive used it before so i know how to do it. and it just doesnt do anything. every once and a while while holding the set button i see the hud flash "cruise control engaged" real quick then shut off again. anybody have an idea.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:04 AM

This problem plagued my 06 Balt as well exactly as you describe...driving down the highway if you mash on the set button I'd see the engaged message flash up but it would never actually do anything, dealer diagnosed it as a faulty clutch switch which was remedied under warranty at the time.

The problem came back the next winter (my cruise didn't seem to enjoy cold weather) but I traded the car in before bothering to diagnose the issue.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spoony
This problem plagued my 06 Balt as well exactly as you describe...driving down the highway if you mash on the set button I'd see the engaged message flash up but it would never actually do anything, dealer diagnosed it as a faulty clutch switch which was remedied under warranty at the time.

The problem came back the next winter (my cruise didn't seem to enjoy cold weather) but I traded the car in before bothering to diagnose the issue.
****. haha thanks for the comment man
Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 AM

Same thing happened to me. Just disconnect the battery for 10 min and that will re-set the computer, and it will work. If it doesn't then it's probably the clutch switch. Do you drive with your foot resting on the pedal?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by CTcar
Same thing happened to me. Just disconnect the battery for 10 min and that will re-set the computer, and it will work. If it doesn't then it's probably the clutch switch. Do you drive with your foot resting on the pedal?
um.. for the most part yes. im assuming you mean the clutch pedal
Old 03-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Driving with your foot resting on the clutch isn't a good idea....

Disconnecting the battery is a good idea, some codes will cause the cruise to malfunction despite the fact that the code has nothing to do with your cruise control (it may be worth getting someone to chuck a scanner on there to see if you have any codes worth knowing about).

Disconnecting your battery won't cause the codes to go away, they'll still be in memory..but the computer should reset and allow your cruise to work (provided the problem is some minor code in the first place).
Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 AM

Disconnecting the battery is a good idea, some codes will cause the cruise to malfunction despite the fact that the code has nothing to do with your cruise control (it may be worth getting someone to chuck a scanner on there to see if you have any codes worth knowing about).

Disconnecting your battery won't cause the codes to go away, they'll still be in memory..but the computer should reset and allow your cruise to work (provided the problem is some minor code in the first place).
i have a code reader. i had a lean code from my intake. i just deleted it. ill try disconnecting the battery tho. thank u guys. i dont have any codes btw ha
Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 AM

I've read things where the switch just wears out from your foot always resting on the clutch, so don't do it lol. The whole code thing was my problem, and it's also the easiest/cheapest to do so why not
Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OKKKKKKK THIS WILL BE MY LAST TIME ha ha ha, the reason why your cruise controls quit working is when you have so many cycles of using the clutch like say alot of traffic stop and goes you will throw a cel and it wont work, only way to fix it is to tune it and delete the code from coming on.. I think gm has a revison of the stock tune for it, but im not 100% sure. So its not teh switch thats bad it just a issue the lsjs had.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
OKKKKKKK THIS WILL BE MY LAST TIME ha ha ha, the reason why your cruise controls quit working is when you have so many cycles of using the clutch like say alot of traffic stop and goes you will throw a cel and it wont work, only way to fix it is to tune it and delete the code from coming on.. I think gm has a revison of the stock tune for it, but im not 100% sure. So its not teh switch thats bad it just a issue the lsjs had.
so when i get my custom tune it will fix it?... im confused. sorry for the frustration... but, ur saying i cannot fix it unless i get the car tuned?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

when gm came out with the car, it wasnt maybe 1-2 weeks later they had people saying there cruise control wasnt working, so gm had to revise the tune on the pcm, and i dont even think that worked, only way to fix the issue that i know of is to tune the cars clutch b circuit out meaning disable it so it dont come on or throw a cel.

btw your color is my favorite car it was my old one. lol

Last edited by Chevycobaltss3; 03-26-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 AM

when gm came out with the car, it wasnt maybe 1-2 weeks later they had people saying there cruise control wasnt working, so gm had to revise the tune on the pcm, and i dont even think that worked, only way to fix the issue that i know of is to tune the cars clutch b circuit out meaning disable it so it dont come on or throw a cel.

btw your color is my favorite car it was my old one. lol
i know im in love =] and alright man thank u for the help and im coming to u for my tune btw =p. ha i just gotta save a **** LOAD of money before i can .
Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

so what r ure mods gonna be and when you want to lol dude im so tired right now oh yeah i have a guy from wisconnson coming down here this week, he drive a ion redline. Ive been tuning him
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 AM

so what r ure mods gonna be and when you want to lol dude im so tired right now oh yeah i have a guy from wisconnson coming down here this week, he drive a ion redline. Ive been tuning him
haha it wont be for atleast months from now but weve had this convo before hahaha. i had a thread about it before haha. we had a long convo. i was gonna do the zzp stage 3 and hptuners.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

yeah i know lol, i just didnt remember. i am fuc*ing tired im waiting for my wife lol
Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 AM

yeah i know lol, i just didnt remember. i am fuc*ing tired im waiting for my wife lol
ha aw dude i feel ya. im not married but gf always keeps me waiting haha.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 AM

My cruise control switch took a crap, Had to replace it. Was $30

Before I replaced it I had to hit the set button 100 times before it would actually engage.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 AM

So if i went to chevy they would beable to tune it out or no
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM

The reason this problems comes up is because of the way cruise works. As soon as you start to push in the clutch, the car will disengage the cruise if it's working. If you continuously have your foot on the pedal, the car will always think the clutch is in therefore it won't allow the cruise to engage. Simple solution to this is to disconnect the battery for a bit to reset it, then stop resting your foot on the clutch pedal.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

^^^^^^^^^ true and not true. . Yes resting ure foot will cause it not to work but the main point is if u let ure car go in so many engaging cycles itll cause it not to work. i mean i am very very umm how do u say ummm ill let other people tell u... When a car see a periodic cycle of clutch engagments while the cruise is engaged itll throw the clutch pedal b circuit code because it thinks the circuit is bad a flaw in early cobalts.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Sounds more like it's just a failsafe feature that's being tripped unintentionally really.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Do uhave a bulb out
Old 03-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by koch1ar
Do uhave a bulb out
?? ha who r u talking to?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

also a possible problem. do you have a led 3rd brake light?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by BPacak
also a possible problem. do you have a led 3rd brake light?
no? aha. i have the stock 3rd tail light and the 4 taillights are the tinted aftermarket ones that use the stock bulb. soo.. idk haha. i dont have any bulbs out..

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Problem