Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Driver door creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver door creaking

Haven't driven the Cobalt in three days due to the lousy weather and road conditions so I was thrilled when I got a chance to get her out today. Opened the driver door and got a creaking noise. Huh!!!
Opened and closed it a few times and it creaks right at the hinge. Took it for a drive just in case the cold did something and when I got back the damn thing creaked again. A shot of WD40 on the hinge didn't cure the problem. I noticed a slight misalignment from top to bottom on the front edge of the door panel (gap being tight on the bottom and about normal on the top) and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get it corrected.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:16 AM

Mine did that too....one of the bolts on the hinge was loose. I just tightened it up and the creaking went away. The bolts are silver in color just fyi.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hutch
Haven't driven the Cobalt in three days due to the lousy weather and road conditions so I was thrilled when I got a chance to get her out today. Opened the driver door and got a creaking noise. Huh!!!
Opened and closed it a few times and it creaks right at the hinge. Took it for a drive just in case the cold did something and when I got back the damn thing creaked again. A shot of WD40 on the hinge didn't cure the problem. I noticed a slight misalignment from top to bottom on the front edge of the door panel (gap being tight on the bottom and about normal on the top) and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get it corrected.

Thanks in advance.

Both my SS SC and my wifes SS N\A did this on the drivers side. It's the door rubbing the lower fender and it gets worse the further the temp drops.

The dealer needs to realign the door.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:05 PM

Excellent responses.....very much appreciated all.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:10 PM

FYI, i have this prblem also
Old 02-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Update

Well back from the dealer and I was informed that the hinges set at the factory only allow so much give (badly installed to begin with) and if more adjustments are required they will have to send the Cobalt away for the day to an auto body shop for further hardcore adjustments. I feel bad for the dealer having been dealt a car with these fitment problems (among the other things that I keep reading about. So I guess if anyone else is having a similar problem....beware.

Edit: The problem was solved throught the adjustments they were able to make.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but.....

Mine started this two weeks ago. The colder it gets, the worse the noise gets. As soon as I can get the cash to do my spring swap, I'll take it in so they both get done at the same time. Door will be under warranty, of course. I'll also have them take a peek at my blower motor and idle surge as well. Those used to be tolerable, but they're way bad now.