Every spark plug question Answered - Page 3 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > General > Problems/Service/Maintenance
Every spark plug question Answered >

Every spark plug question Answered

Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Every spark plug question Answered

Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 AM
  #51  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-13-09
Location: Calgary,Alberta,canada
Posts: 2,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so what do you suggest to use with a 2.4 should i go colder plugs or stick with stockers
kissrocker52 is offline  
Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 AM
  #52  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-16-10
Location: charleston, wv
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so do the 3787 work for the tc? i think they would be a good option since they are pregapped to .032
twiztedblkss is offline  
Old 10-09-2010, 03:19 AM
  #53  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-16-10
Location: charleston, wv
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
twiztedblkss is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM
  #54  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-19-08
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI USA
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twiztedblkss View Post
so do the 3787 work for the tc? i think they would be a good option since they are pregapped to .032
Yes these will work for the turbo engines
NGKTECH is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 AM
  #55  
LSJ
Member
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Illinois
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mods: GM Stage 2 & ZZP 3" Intake

I will installing my cat-back next spring, as well as the ZZP long-tube header/DP, when it's available.

BKR7E?
Or..
BKR6E?
LSJ is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
  #56  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ View Post
Mods: GM Stage 2 & ZZP 3" Intake

I will installing my cat-back next spring, as well as the ZZP long-tube header/DP, when it's available.

BKR7E?
Or..
BKR6E?
Stock plugs are fine with GMS2, and your mods. Just adjust the gap if you start to experience spark blowout.

I ran my stock plugs up until I pullied down to a 73mm pulley on my H62 blower & GMS3 tune. Only then did I notice the stock heat range was to hot for my application.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
  #57  
LSJ
Member
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Illinois
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS View Post
Stock plugs are fine with GMS2, and your mods. Just adjust the gap if you start to experience spark blowout.

I ran my stock plugs up until I pullied down to a 73mm pulley on my H62 blower & GMS3 tune. Only then did I notice the stock heat range was to hot for my application.
And that would be BKR7E?
LSJ is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 AM
  #58  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ View Post
And that would be BKR7E?
No.

BKR7E are one step cooler copper plugs.

Stock plugs are heat range 6, and are either platnium or iridium (depending on year).

What I was trying to say is it will be silly for you to change your plugs (unless they have a lot of miles on them). The stock plugs will be fine for your setup.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM
  #59  
LSJ
Member
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Illinois
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS View Post
No.

BKR7E are one step cooler copper plugs.

Stock plugs are heat range 6, and are either platnium or iridium (depending on year).

What I was trying to say is it will be silly for you to change your plugs (unless they have a lot of miles on them). The stock plugs will be fine for your setup.
Ohhhhhhhh.. I assumed that was the stock NGK plug.. I'll have to take one out and look at it then, unless someone knows the number offhand.

It's a 2006, if that helps.

Yeah, I am due for some new plugs though.
LSJ is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
  #60  
LSJ
Member
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Illinois
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.. It says "BKR6E which is simply a v-power plug at a 6 heat range which is stock."

And the stock is IFR6V-10G, gapped at .040

Either are fine it looks like, I just need to determine gap now.
LSJ is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
  #61  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ View Post
Well.. It says "BKR6E which is simply a v-power plug at a 6 heat range which is stock."

And the stock is IFR6V-10G, gapped at .040

Either are fine it looks like, I just need to determine gap now.
Those came in my late model 07' stock, but they were gapped at 0.035". I wouldnt use that large of a plug gap on a stage 2 car though.

I know that 05's & 06's (along with early model 07's) came stock with platnium NGK plugs.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM
  #62  
LSJ
Member
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Illinois
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS View Post
Those came in my late model 07' stock, but they were gapped at 0.035". I wouldnt use that large of a plug gap on a stage 2 car though.

I know that 05's & 06's (along with early model 07's) came stock with platnium NGK plugs.
I searched on NGK and that's what they gave me, and factory may have been gapped at .040, but they should be what, .038?

Theoretically, you want the largest gap without problems like it breaking up in high RPMs.
LSJ is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM
  #63  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ View Post
I searched on NGK and that's what they gave me, and factory may have been gapped at .040, but they should be what, .038?

Theoretically, you want the largest gap without problems like it breaking up in high RPMs.
Yes, I know that's what NGK's site gives you, but in most owners manual they call for the platnium plug that's all I'm trying to get at. I know all about the reasoning why you want the largest gap possible, but once you start flowing more air you will want to start to tighten the gap up.

My car came from the factory with the iridium plugs you listed, but they were gapped at 0.035". That has always been the sweet spot plug gap for most lsj's. It is still large enough to promote a strong spark, but small enough to avoid spark blowout once you start to pulley down.

I didnt start experiencing spark blowout at that gap until I pullied down to a 74mm pulley, and finally a 73mm pulley. I now run one step cooler plugs gapped at 0.032".
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 AM
  #64  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-19-08
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI USA
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ View Post
Ohhhhhhhh.. I assumed that was the stock NGK plug.. I'll have to take one out and look at it then, unless someone knows the number offhand.

It's a 2006, if that helps.

Yeah, I am due for some new plugs though.
Stock plugs for 06 should be the NGK IFR6V-10G

Unfortunately that plug is still a dealer only item so you would use the platinum version which is PFR6T-10G stock# 5542

NGK.com - Cross Reference Search Results
NGKTECH is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-14-05
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 6,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never bothered but I guess I should look into getting the 8's. Been on the 7's with a .40 gap for years and they work fine.
OniMirage is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
  #66  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post
I never bothered but I guess I should look into getting the 8's. Been on the 7's with a .40 gap for years and they work fine.
8's on a GMS2 setup?? I wouldnt bother man. The 7's are plenty cool enough for your current setup.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 10-31-2010, 02:28 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
averagewhiteboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-05
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about for the non-boost cars..??
averagewhiteboy is offline  
Old 01-14-2011, 01:56 AM
  #68  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-07-11
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweeeet Thread!
Closed Diff is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-04-10
Location: Calgary
Posts: 898
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
??????ngk??????
victoryredturbalt is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 PM
  #70  
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (66)
 
riceburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-11
Location: West Chicago, IL
Posts: 39,844
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
I thought i've heard don't gap the bkr7e's before is this true??
when i got my ottp stg2 kit it came with these plugs and i was under the impression that they come correctly gapped so i didn't mess with them. car runs fine, only it misses a little bit every here and there in idle.
riceburner is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: 03-16-08
Location: Altus AFB, Ok
Posts: 3,534
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is a good gap to have with a 2.8 pulley with 17 psi? i have one step colder plugs
06cobalt racer is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 AM
  #72  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by 06cobalt racer View Post
what is a good gap to have with a 2.8 pulley with 17 psi? i have one step colder plugs
0.032"-0.035"

All depends on the car & supporting mods.

The more air you bring in, the more chances of having spark blowout when running a larger gap.

Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I thought i've heard don't gap the bkr7e's before is this true??
when i got my ottp stg2 kit it came with these plugs and i was under the impression that they come correctly gapped so i didn't mess with them. car runs fine, only it misses a little bit every here and there in idle.
Never assume a plug is gapped right from the manufacture or vendor.

Always check the gap yourself, and adjust accordingly.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
  #73  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-21-11
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitrousexpress View Post
Heres all the information from Graham @ NX and Brandon with NGK..

NGK aside from being the plugs I use personally are the OEM distributor for plugs on these cars.

Supercharged cars First

SC - The factory plug on 04-05 redlines and 05 cobaltss cars is the PFR6T-10G. They changed that to a IFR6V-10G which is the same plug but a iridium platinum plug.




So i bought NGK Iridium BKR6EIX spark plugs for my 2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged off zzp cause i had ran them in my honda before this and had no problems with idle or anything. My car only has a 3" catted downpipe and a k&n intake, i have NO injector or pulley mods, will these be fine in my car? I am not tuned for the downpipe/intake right now but mid april I'm going to zzp to get the 1.0 pcm, what should i tell them to let them know that these are in my car if need be? But last and finally, will these be fine on my setup?
ZZP COBALT is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM
  #74  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ZZP COBALT View Post
So i bought NGK Iridium BKR6EIX spark plugs for my 2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged off zzp cause i had ran them in my honda before this and had no problems with idle or anything. My car only has a 3" catted downpipe and a k&n intake, i have NO injector or pulley mods, will these be fine in my car? I am not tuned for the downpipe/intake right now but mid april I'm going to zzp to get the 1.0 pcm, what should i tell them to let them know that these are in my car if need be? But last and finally, will these be fine on my setup?
Yes.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 AM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
jmiller15's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-07-08
Location: Regina Sask, Canada
Posts: 993
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay this might be a nub question, but do our plugs need to be torqued, and if so what are the numbers?

as well could someone please recommend a plug for me, mods in sig...

Only change is instead of budget tune i've upgraded to the regular 24 psi trifecta tune.
jmiller15 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Every spark plug question Answered


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.