Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Every spark plug question Answered

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 AM
  #76  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Liked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by jmiller15 View Post
okay this might be a nub question, but do our plugs need to be torqued, and if so what are the numbers?

as well could someone please recommend a plug for me, mods in sig...

Only change is instead of budget tune i've upgraded to the regular 24 psi trifecta tune.
I don't know the torque specs for the LNF, but the LSJ torque spec is 15 ft-lbs.

Might be the same....
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  #77  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-19-08
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI USA
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmiller15 View Post
okay this might be a nub question, but do our plugs need to be torqued, and if so what are the numbers?

as well could someone please recommend a plug for me, mods in sig...

Only change is instead of budget tune i've upgraded to the regular 24 psi trifecta tune.
The LNF takes a 14mm tapered seat plug. NGK recommends 7.2-14.5 lb-ftwith aluminum heads, I'd go to the high side of the recommendation at about 15lbs.

Torque recommends vary depending on manufacturer although they are all pretty darn close.

Now on the LSJ they have a 14mm gasket seat plug so we'd recommend 18-21lb-ft.

For your car with your mods I'd just recommend dropping a heat range colder than stock to the either the LTR6IX-11 (around 30k miles) or the ILTR6A-8G (around 60k mile life).

Personally I'd go with the ILTR6A-8G because its a double precious metal plug so you get the longer life but it also has a copper cored ground electrode (it's the facotry plug on the Mazda 2.3 MZR turbo engine) which will lessen the chance of the ground overheating and becoming a hot spot (also helps to lengthen plug life to a degree) and because the plug comes factory gapped to .032" where as the LTR6IX-11 comes all the way at .044" and would have to be crushed down pretty far for a turbo app.

On my Saturn Sky that I'm turbocharging (has the N/A 2.4L LE5) I went two steps colder to the LTR7IX-11 just to be safe. I plan for around 300whp.
NGKTECH is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
  #78  
New Member
 
Join Date: 06-15-09
Location: canada
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NGKTECH View Post
The LNF takes a 14mm tapered seat plug. NGK recommends 7.2-14.5 lb-ftwith aluminum heads, I'd go to the high side of the recommendation at about 15lbs.

Torque recommends vary depending on manufacturer although they are all pretty darn close.

Now on the LSJ they have a 14mm gasket seat plug so we'd recommend 18-21lb-ft.

For your car with your mods I'd just recommend dropping a heat range colder than stock to the either the LTR6IX-11 (around 30k miles) or the ILTR6A-8G (around 60k mile life).

Personally I'd go with the ILTR6A-8G because its a double precious metal plug so you get the longer life but it also has a copper cored ground electrode (it's the facotry plug on the Mazda 2.3 MZR turbo engine) which will lessen the chance of the ground overheating and becoming a hot spot (also helps to lengthen plug life to a degree) and because the plug comes factory gapped to .032" where as the LTR6IX-11 comes all the way at .044" and would have to be crushed down pretty far for a turbo app.

On my Saturn Sky that I'm turbocharging (has the N/A 2.4L LE5) I went two steps colder to the LTR7IX-11 just to be safe. I plan for around 300whp.
Hi NG, i have the same mods as above poster minus the trifecta tune, i am on GM stage 1.

should i move to the colder plugs? what change will i see if so?
wol-shiver is offline  
Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: 03-29-07
Location: UTAH
Posts: 1,137
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NGKTECH View Post
Unfortunately when you go to the '8' heat range and you want to stay with a V-power the part number changes from the 'BKR' series to the R5672A-8 stock# 7173 (V-power). Or the iridium IX version is BKR8EIX stock# 2668 Hope this helps, thank you.
Thanks for this
goeckeritz123 is offline  
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: 03-29-07
Location: UTAH
Posts: 1,137
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also tapped at .33, I have hesitation at lower rpms do you think this is spark blow out. Noticeably 1st - 2nd.
goeckeritz123 is offline  
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM
  #81  
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jvirginillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-11
Location: Surrey, BC Canada
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have spark blowout since going to 2.8 from 2.9 with 60's now instead of 42's.

Guy who dyno'ed my car said check you plugs and run .028" REALLY!?! Isn't that a bit tight for my mods?

I am going to check the gap and maybe drop to .030" first unless they are already there.
jvirginillo is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 AM
  #82  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Liked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by jvirginillo View Post
I have spark blowout since going to 2.8 from 2.9 with 60's now instead of 42's.

Guy who dyno'ed my car said check you plugs and run .028" REALLY!?! Isn't that a bit tight for my mods?

I am going to check the gap and maybe drop to .030" first unless they are already there.
Wayyyy too small.

I flow around 37-38 lbs/min of air & my plugs are gapped at 0.032". I have no blowout. Not even on super cool days.

For your mods 0.033-0.032" should be good. 0.030" will still be too small. Remember you want the largest gap possible w/o blowout.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jvirginillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-11
Location: Surrey, BC Canada
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS View Post
Wayyyy too small.

I flow around 37-38 lbs/min of air & my plugs are gapped at 0.032". I have no blowout. Not even on super cool days.

For your mods 0.033-0.032" should be good. 0.030" will still be too small. Remember you want the largest gap possible w/o blowout.

Thank-you sir!! I have some new plugs on the way and I am going to ditch the crappy gapping tool I have and use my feeler gauges.

Another member in my area has the same mods as me and it Trifecta tuned and is having blowout issues too so I am going to compare results with him. I also want to double check my injectors are installed correctly.

Thanks for the info I appreciate the input from the "experienced".
jvirginillo is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
  #84  
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anybody around here run "side gapped" or "cutback" plugs?
wayfarer is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM
  #85  
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
ItalianJoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-01-05
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 12,485
Likes: 0
Liked 55 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
does anybody around here run "side gapped" or "cutback" plugs?
Not necessary with modern style plugs.
ItalianJoe1 is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 AM
  #86  
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 View Post
Not necessary with modern style plugs.
Not sure what you mean by "modern style", but the bkr7e's I have have a fat center electrode, and a fat ground strap shrouding the center pretty good. Any time you can expose the spark to the chamber it's a good thing.

I'd be worried about cutting the "button" off the ground strap, but a cutback has a shorter lifespan anyway
wayfarer is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-02-09
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,181
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NGKTECH View Post
. The coldest nickel plug is the BKR7E

Wait I 'm confused,
I thought the BKR7E is a copper plug?
insylem is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
  #88  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-14-12
Location: Warner Robins
Posts: 981
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by insylem View Post
Wait I 'm confused,
I thought the BKR7E is a copper plug?
It is a copper core.
prevsrt4owner is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jvirginillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-11
Location: Surrey, BC Canada
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brand: NGK Spark Plugs
Manufacturer's Part Number: 4644
Part Type: Spark Plugs
Product Line: NGK V-Power Spark Plugs
Shorty Spark Plug: No
Resistor: Yes
Manufacturer Heat Range: 7
Electrode Core Material: Copper
Electrode Tip Material: Nickel alloy
Insulator Type: Projected Spark
Plug Thread Size: 14mm
Spark Plug Reach: 0.750 in.
Spark Plug Seat Style: Gasket
Wrench Diameter: 5/8 in.
Ground Strap Quantity: One
NGK Part Number: BKR7E


The Electrode tip is Nickel and the Core material is Copper.

I only know this becuase over the past couple of weeks I have been looking for plugs and equivalents without success. So it is BKR7E now called the 4644 for me.
jvirginillo is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
  #90  
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 11-09-11
Location: NC
Posts: 317
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey everyone, i need some help.
So i have CAI, upper cp, catless dp, turboxs fmic, trifecta selective tune, one is gms1, the other is set to 23psi. I just bought some ngk LTR5IX-11 gap .036 for my lnf. my issue is that when i stomp on the gas every once in a while the vehicle seems to bog out and sputter a little before taking off. im not sure if that because of my gapping or what? can anyone let me know if i need a colder plug or can i re gap this ones so i dont have to spend another 40+ bucks for a set. THANKS
09slowbaltSS is offline  
Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 AM
  #91  
KTM
Member
 
KTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-26-13
Location: Uniontown, Pa
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bkr7e for me? TVS, headers dp catback, Cai, 60lb injectors.
Going to try them out.
KTM is offline  
Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-02-09
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,181
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KTM View Post
Bkr7e for me?
If this is "Every spark plug question Answered" then why are people still asking spark plug questions?
insylem is offline  
Old 07-05-2014, 06:18 PM
  #93  
KTM
Member
 
KTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-26-13
Location: Uniontown, Pa
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by insylem View Post

If this is "Every spark plug question Answered" then why are people still asking spark plug questions?
Haha sorry. I'm on my phone, not much time to fully search. Don't know why I asked really. Just kinda wanted confirmation from someone with similar mods, who maybe has some personal experience they could help me with.
KTM is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 AM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-02-09
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,181
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KTM View Post
Haha sorry. I'm on my phone, not much time to fully search. Don't know why I asked really. Just kinda wanted confirmation from someone with similar mods, who maybe has some personal experience they could help me with.

No it's fine, I was just being a smartass because the thread tittle says the questions are all awnsered... ALL of them. EVERYONE ofthe questions. lol.


But anyway your setup is similar to mine, and I run the BKR7Es. However, I do not have TVS. I'm still running the M62 with a 2.9" Pulley for 15 lbs boost.
insylem is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 03-12-08
Location: PA
Posts: 985
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
so this plug ILTR5D is the same as the ac delco 41-108?
cobaltss#01 is offline  
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
  #96  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-11-14
Location: Port orchar wa
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plug destroid no code

I have an 06 cobalt ss 2.0 sc.
I noticed my engine stubling a bit so i started inspecting my beloved cobalt.
I checked for vacum leaks, throttle and quite a few other things thinking it was running ritch or lean. So out of idea's. I decided to check the plugs but i wasent expecting to find anything but i looked into the holes 3/4 plugs were fine but hole #2 was black and full of carbon. i took the plug out and the bottem was gone the prong was nowere to be found.
Correct me if im wrong, but if a cylender is misfiring shouldn't i have gotten a code for cylender 2? I probly drove it like that for weeks or, months.
leion8000 is offline  
Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 PM
  #97  
Premium Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Mr Mall Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: Surrey BC
Posts: 29,152
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Lots of good info to know
Mr Mall Cop is offline  
Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-09-07
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 993
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I just installed the NGK6E, and gapped them at .050" and I'm not getting any blow out.. Not to mention the car feels like it is more responsive and halls ass. My old plugs were the NGK7E gapped at .030 and the car felt sluggish when I floored it and only around 13psi would it then feel like torque was finally setting in the car would get faster through mid to high rpm. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this gap and what results they got from it. Like I said my car runs like a fukin champion right now lol at the .050" gap on the NGK6E's.. I did notice from my old plugs alot of carbon build up with white on the tips so I feel I am running rich but can't be certain due to no Uego to monitor air to fuel yet.
MrSlickSter06SS is offline  
Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 AM
  #99  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Liked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by MrSlickSter06SS View Post
Well I just installed the NGK6E, and gapped them at .050" and I'm not getting any blow out.. Not to mention the car feels like it is more responsive and halls ass. My old plugs were the NGK7E gapped at .030 and the car felt sluggish when I floored it and only around 13psi would it then feel like torque was finally setting in the car would get faster through mid to high rpm. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this gap and what results they got from it. Like I said my car runs like a fukin champion right now lol at the .050" gap on the NGK6E's.. I did notice from my old plugs alot of carbon build up with white on the tips so I feel I am running rich but can't be certain due to no Uego to monitor air to fuel yet.
Holy hell that is a large gap for an SS/SC. Especially with your mods.

0.030 prob felt like crap, because that was way to small of a gap for your setup.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-09-07
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 993
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS View Post
Holy hell that is a large gap for an SS/SC. Especially with your mods.

0.030 prob felt like crap, because that was way to small of a gap for your setup.
yea I took the car out this morning and was getting blow out in high rpm so .040" is probably best bet?
MrSlickSter06SS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Every spark plug question Answered


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.