Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Exhaust leak cause CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Exhaust leak cause CEL?

I keep getting a random CEL. Some of you may remember how I was having problems with the reduced engine power. I don't have that anymore, however, I do get a CEL if I keep the key in the on position for say 5 seconds before starting the car. If I just start it, I don't get a CEL. Today my exhaust came un-clamped (I have the stock exhaust with a leaky clamp holding it together) and when I started the car back up, the CEL was on. Anyone have any ideas or know if an exhaust leak can cause a CEL? It is well after the cat, actually right before the rear axle bend.. does the computer read backpressure or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24
does the computer read backpressure or anything like that?
it would be helpful to get the CEL Codes. but there is a sensor behind the cat and in front. and exhaust leak that far down from the down stream sensor wont throw a code but if this is one before it possible. cause the up stream sensor reads the fuel and oxygen and the down stream reads to see if if you cat is working if there is a leak some where in there it will throw a code.

but most likely its not your exhaust causing that cause of how far back it is.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Yeah. Only thing I can think of is that code that I had before (low TPS voltage due to that bent pin) was never cleared. It just went away randomly when driving and comes on if I leave the key in ON position for more than like 2 or 3 seconds before starting. So maybe I just need to get that code cleared? It doesn't hit limp mode, the stupid light just comes on.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 PM

I keep getting a random CEL. Some of you may remember how I was having problems with the reduced engine power. I don't have that anymore, however, I do get a CEL if I keep the key in the on position for say 5 seconds before starting the car. If I just start it, I don't get a CEL. Today my exhaust came un-clamped (I have the stock exhaust with a leaky clamp holding it together) and when I started the car back up, the CEL was on. Anyone have any ideas or know if an exhaust leak can cause a CEL? It is well after the cat, actually right before the rear axle bend.. does the computer read backpressure or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
Leaking exhaust after cat causes "I'm a garbage truck" noise not cels. Something else is fubar.

Yeah. Only thing I can think of is that code that I had before (low TPS voltage due to that bent pin) was never cleared. It just went away randomly when driving and comes on if I leave the key in ON position for more than like 2 or 3 seconds before starting. So maybe I just need to get that code cleared? It doesn't hit limp mode, the stupid light just comes on.
You can just unplug the battery for a while and that should clear the code.

Last edited by theneelster; 08-19-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm just going to get it scanned. I'm curious as to what it is now.. I fixed the TB problem.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster
Leaking exhaust after cat causes "I'm a garbage truck" noise not cels. Something else is fubar.

You can just unplug the battery for a while and that should clear the code.

Keep in mind a leak before the cat can cause a cel, p0420 somthing like that i think? But you'd prolly know if it was. If anything have Murrays scan it so you know, its usu free.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 PM

Got the codes read. It had like 5 codes Random crap, but there was a S/C pressure inlet sensor low voltage.. I took it off and cleaned it (it had dirt on it... horray) and put it back on. Cleared the codes with the Tech II, and the CEL went away. FINALLY! Nope.. not so lucky. I got home, shut the car off, turned it back on, and the CEL was on again! So me being really aggrevated, rips the hood open and starts looking EVERYTHING over. Turns out my intake piping was loose.. tightened that bitch up, and what do you know.. took it out for a rip, and the CEL went away I then celebrated by taking 1st to 7000RPMS and chirping the 2nd gear shift. Twice. I actually spun most of 1st the one time.. not used to the new power yet in 1st lol. Ah anyway, it feels nice to finally be able to open it out without getting a CEL/hitting limp mode/having the exhaust fall off, etc.