Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Fan Acting weird!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Acting weird!!

OK, my girlfriend has a 2006 cobalt with a 2.2l motor. Recently i found out that there was damage to the condensor, rad, and fan, the dealer must have crashed the car before it was sold to her (it was a demo car) and replaced the bumper but didnt fix the damage. The reason i say that is there is no way the damage could have been done without smashing the whole bumper in.

Anyways, i fixed all that, and re attached the fan, it was not even held in place, was just resting on wires and hoses.

Well recently her car seems to be running hot, up to 222 when it used to never go above 195. Also, her fan doesnt seem to come on at any certain temp, just when it wants to, as im writing this, it went to 222 before the fan kicked on, and earlier, it didnt come on at all. I could smell antifreeze and kinda hear it bubbling around in there light it was getting to hot.

My question is, what it the norm operating temp for her car? When should the fan come on? What is to hot?

So far my trouble shooting consists of this...

Turned AC on, fan comes on right after-Good
Swapped the 2 fan relays while fan on, still works-Good
Checked for loose wires, seems ok

Even right now, now its back down to 194 with fan on, not turning off. Why would it sometimes let it get so high, and other times not?

Any help would be great, im typing this while working on the car.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the temp problem you could have air in the system if you drained and refilled it or a thermostat problem.

Is the black plastic air scoop still attached to the bottom of the rad ,it will make a difference as well.(lsj has one but no sure about the 2.2 )

Some info for you

Cooling Fan Control 2.2L (L61) / 2.4L (LE5)
The engine cooling fan system consists of one cooling fan and two relays. The cooling fan has 2 windings in the motor, one winding is for low speed and the other winding is for high speed. Voltage is supplied to the relays through the 30 A cooling fan 1 and 30 A cooling fan 2 fuses. The engine control module (ECM) controls the low speed fan operation by grounding the cool fan 1 relay control circuit. When the cooling fan 1 relay is energized, voltage is delivered to the cooling fan low speed winding. The ECM controls the high speed fan operation by grounding the cool fan 2 relay control circuit. When the cooling fan 2 relay is energized, voltage is delivered to the cooling fan high speed winding. The cooling fan motor is grounded through its own ground circuit.

The ECM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The ECM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• ECT reaches 110°C (230°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).

• When certain DTCs set

When the request for fan activation is withdrawn, the fan may not turn OFF until the ignition switch is moved to the OFF position or the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 10 mph. This is to prevent a fan from cycling ON and OFF excessively at idle.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2006 SS/SC and my normal operating temperature has always been around 82 degrees Celsius. I have never had it higher than 83. Now that fans won't turn on I let it get up to 100 degrees C and I wouldn't let it go higher than that. 106 degrees seems too hot for these engines from my experience.

I have checked my fans and relays and all that is fine with mine. I'm waiting on a new ECT sensor if that doesn't fix the problem according to my Haynes manual it'll be the fan control module.

I realize this thread is old but it's just relevant to what I'm looking at right now.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever since Ive put in the ZZP can tune, my fan comes on whenever I stop moving...kinda annoying.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DragonSS
I am having a similar problem with my 2006 SS/SC and my normal operating temperature has always been around 82 degrees Celsius. I have never had it higher than 83. Now that fans won't turn on I let it get up to 100 degrees C and I wouldn't let it go higher than that. 106 degrees seems too hot for these engines from my experience.

I have checked my fans and relays and all that is fine with mine. I'm waiting on a new ECT sensor if that doesn't fix the problem according to my Haynes manual it'll be the fan control module.

I realize this thread is old but it's just relevant to what I'm looking at right now.

Cheers!
While i agree 220+ is kinda hot for a 4 cylinder engine, that's typical of almost ALL GM vehicles, they always run typically above 200, whereas most imports will be between 180-195. First thing I would recommend to you is to check BOTH 30amp fan fuses in your under hood fuse box, I had the secondary fuse blow and the fan would only come on if you turned the AC on, it would not come on when the car reached 223*. If your having issues with consistently running hot then you might need to consider replacing the fan itself (or just the motor) and doing a thermostat, these car's are the only car's ive ever seen running thermostats with a gasket that pops out when the thermostat fails to open, once that happens the thermostat will consistently run in bypass mode and the car will run abnormally hotter then normal. Not overheating, but not as low as it could be.