Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Gauges (electrical problem)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges (electrical problem)

So I post this comment at a local thread but decided to post a new thread because I heard there is a lot of knowledgeable guys on here.

I just need a little help guys preferably someone with electrical experience. So I decided to put a tachometer (rpm gauge) and a water temp gauge. Please don't make fun of me for deciding to put these gauges on my car, I have my reason. I know the car already has an rpm gauge and a digital engine coolant gauge.

Anyways, I have the tachometer hooked up to one of the wires on my coilpack but it's only reading half the rpm. I research this on the internet and someone was saying to put a resistor in it. I went to radio shack and got a resistor and tried this and still didn't work.

Also the water temp gauge, I can't seem to figure out where to put this temp sensor too. I even went to Auto Value and the guy there didn't know either. But gave me pics to locate the stock engine coolant temp sensor. I also research this on the net, and someone was saying to splice into the stock temp sensor until you get a signal. Is this a good idea because I also read this on the net. That this will give you CEL and I don't want to **** up anything on my car. Since this is my only mode of transportation. Also read that if you cut on top of your radiator hose put a adapter (new temp sensor) and clamp it on both sides would work. But also read that this will give you a leak.

Any help would be appreciated guys, only 1 wire left for each gauge. And everything else is working fine. Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure where to put the water temp gauge.
But as for your RPM sensor, a coil pack can work. But like you said, you'll only get HALF RPM. That is beucase the coil pack fires the spark plug on every other upstroke.
YOu'll need to tap into (and use Diodes to prevent feedback from one to the other) TWO coil packs. But not just any two, make sure they are 2 later in the fireing order.
For example: Coil Pak 1 and 4, (Fireing order 1 3 4 2) or if you do 3, you must also do 2.
BUt keep in mind this indication will bee slightly innacurate when the PCM changeins the spark advance, or knock retard.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by insylem
Not sure where to put the water temp gauge.
But as for your RPM sensor, a coil pack can work. But like you said, you'll only get HALF RPM. That is beucase the coil pack fires the spark plug on every other upstroke.
YOu'll need to tap into (and use Diodes to prevent feedback from one to the other) TWO coil packs. But not just any two, make sure they are 2 later in the fireing order.
For example: Coil Pak 1 and 4, (Fireing order 1 3 4 2) or if you do 3, you must also do 2.
BUt keep in mind this indication will bee slightly innacurate when the PCM changeins the spark advance, or knock retard.

Stupid question whats the difference between a diode and a resistor. I use a 1 watt resistor and even tried 2 and it didn't work. Would a resistor work on the two coilpack idea.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM

A Diode is like an electronic check valve.
It only allows electricity to flow in one direction. You use it to make sure the signal from the coil packs only flows away from the coil pack. This keeps one coil pack from triggering the other.
A Resister is just a restriction to the electrical current.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 PM

A Diode is like an electronic check valve.
It only allows electricity to flow in one direction. You use it to make sure the signal from the coil packs only flows away from the coil pack. This keeps one coil pack from triggering the other.
A Resister is just a restriction to the electrical current.

Ohh I see, sounds like you know your **** man. I need to run into the store and get a diode. Any specific diode I need to get. A "LED" is a diode isn't. I have a bunch of those lying around. Would that work.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

alright man. you don't need to go out and buy any diodes. if you can just find a flux capactior laying around somewhere then you should be able to get an ample amount of diodes out of that. no need to go buying ****. you can find those flux capacitors damn near anywhere. people are throwing them out all of the time.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basically this...

Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mccullj
alright man. you don't need to go out and buy any diodes. if you can just find a flux capactior laying around somewhere then you should be able to get an ample amount of diodes out of that. no need to go buying ****. you can find those flux capacitors damn near anywhere. people are throwing them out all of the time.
Flux capacitor, didn't want to sound like a dork. But it sounds like something from the movie Back to the Future jk lol. I'll go look around and see what I have lying around.

Originally Posted by iboost
basically this...
Nice pic lol

Last edited by supermanbalt; 10-25-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 AM

LED probly not the best diode to use.
Get a Rectifying diode. You'll need one with a PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) greater then 20V wich should be fairly common and easy. They are fairly inexpensive.
Not sure exactly how your tapeing into the ignition wires though. The diode may not depending on how the signal is sent ot the coil pack. If its a pulsateing DC signal, then your good, if it switches polarity, then youll have issues.

Worst case scenerio, is itll draw power, from one, to the other, and cause both cylinders to fire together, with a weaker spark. 1 cylinder will fire into the exhust stroke, no bigie, nothing will happen, the other will fire on compression like it should and fire off the cylinder.
You *MIGHT* get a Misfire code for the 2 cylinders that its hooked to, or it might just trip P0300 (Random/multiple misfires)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mccullj
But if you do that,
you'll time travel every time you get 88MPH.....
wonder if you can travel back in time on the same track
and then you can run 0.00 in the 1/4 mile Hell you could
beat a top fuel dragster!!

... wich reminds me, I was watching warehouse thirteen a while ago and they did an episode on time travel, and in the background one of the props was a flux capacitor! Looked just like (slightly diffrent) then the one from Back to the Feuture!

Last edited by insylem; 10-26-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 AM

LED probly not the best diode to use.
Get a Rectifying diode. You'll need one with a PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) greater then 20V wich should be fairly common and easy. They are fairly inexpensive.
Not sure exactly how your tapeing into the ignition wires though. The diode may not depending on how the signal is sent ot the coil pack. If its a pulsateing DC signal, then your good, if it switches polarity, then youll have issues.

Worst case scenerio, is itll draw power, from one, to the other, and cause both cylinders to fire together, with a weaker spark. 1 cylinder will fire into the exhust stroke, no bigie, nothing will happen, the other will fire on compression like it should and fire off the cylinder.
You *MIGHT* get a Misfire code for the 2 cylinders that its hooked to, or it might just trip P0300 (Random/multiple misfires)
Yah I did the rectifying diode thing today I got at radio shack. It didn't work. Idk if I should just resort to buying the tach adapter.

Well I wish I can send a pic to show you how I wired it. Tried every combination with the diode.
It goes like this 4 wires.
Top Left Corner - white (wire)
Top Right Corner - pink (wire)
Bottom Left Corner - brown/white (wire)
Bottom Right Corner - orange (wire)

I hooked up the green signal wire from the gauge, to the orange wire. I had originally giving me half rpm.
1. Then put the diode from (orange to pink)
2. Then put diode to (white to Brown) putting 2 diode like you said.
3. Also tried signal wire green to (brown/white) then put diode to (brown/white to white)

None of these combination worked. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it gets frustrating after awhile. Because I have to turn my car on and off.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 AM

But if you do that,
you'll time travel every time you get 88MPH.....
wonder if you can travel back in time on the same track
and then you can run 0.00 in the 1/4 mile Hell you could
beat a top fuel dragster!!

... wich reminds me, I was watching warehouse thirteen a while ago and they did an episode on time travel, and in the background one of the props was a flux capacitor! Looked just like (slightly diffrent) then the one from Back to the Feuture!
Yah I went to radio shack and I ask the sales guy for a flux capacitor. And the first thing he said was just like the one from Back To the Future lol.