Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Goodyear okay spot to get coolant flushed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear for coolant flush? and local shops vs. dealers in general

Hello, I'm coming up on 5 years on my Cobalt (but only about 40k miles), I've been a little annoyed with my dealer so I made an appointment with a Goodyear close by for the 5 year coolant flush (don't have time to try it myself). Do you think I can trust them to use Dexcool and to flush it properly and not just drain and refill it? Or should I be going to the dealer for this?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, why does the owner's manual say this work is complex and should be done at a dealer? Don't many people do this at home?

One more edit: In general, for those of you who do not do your own work, do you prefer a local shop that you are comfortable with or the dealer for non-warranty/maintenance stuff? I used to think the dealer, but lately I'm not so sure, they don't seem to my have my best interests in mind any more than a local shop, maybe even less.

Last edited by archcommus; 04-17-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's see. Going to a tire shop to do a coolant change, I would'nt, If something went wrong and fried your motor GM could and would say go talk to the shop that did the coolant change, we are not fixing it under the drive train warrenty if you still had it.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM

It will be fine. I used to work for Midas, we had a typical coolant flush machine. it had 3 storage tanks, old coolant, New Generic Coolant and New Dexcool approved coolant. not a single quick lube type place will use GM Dexcool as it is about $15 a gallon. but the coolant they will use is fine, its dexcool approved.

IMO it says the coolant flush is complex work because if you screw it up and its not that hard, you can cause major damage.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by demento
Let's see. Going to a tire shop to do a coolant change, I would'nt, If something went wrong and fried your motor GM could and would say go talk to the shop that did the coolant change, we are not fixing it under the drive train warrenty if you still had it.
Well, I obviously don't want my motor to get fried, but warranty is not a factor at this point since I'm coming up on 5 years. I just want to make sure I am keeping the engine healthy long-term.

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
It will be fine. I used to work for Midas, we had a typical coolant flush machine. it had 3 storage tanks, old coolant, New Generic Coolant and New Dexcool approved coolant. not a single quick lube type place will use GM Dexcool as it is about $15 a gallon. but the coolant they will use is fine, its dexcool approved.

IMO it says the coolant flush is complex work because if you screw it up and its not that hard, you can cause major damage.
Thanks, good to know. Is the Dexcool approved coolant good for the same 5 years as regular Dexcool? The manual only mentions strictly Dexcool so I want to make sure it wouldn't be inferior in any way, for example reducing lifespan or requiring a flush in less than 5 years.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 AM

Why not just drain it out and refill it? Thats what the GM service manual recommends...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by archcommus
Hello, I'm coming up on 5 years on my Cobalt (but only about 40k miles), I've been a little annoyed with my dealer so I made an appointment with a Goodyear close by for the 5 year coolant flush (don't have time to try it myself). Do you think I can trust them to use Dexcool and to flush it properly and not just drain and refill it? Or should I be going to the dealer for this?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, why does the owner's manual say this work is complex and should be done at a dealer? Don't many people do this at home?

One more edit: In general, for those of you who do not do your own work, do you prefer a local shop that you are comfortable with or the dealer for non-warranty/maintenance stuff? I used to think the dealer, but lately I'm not so sure, they don't seem to my have my best interests in mind any more than a local shop, maybe even less.
I know you're looking to go elsewhere; just wanted to ask about your statement "I've been a little annoyed with my dealer" - has something happened recently? If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
^^^its probably nothing in particular, most dealers have the DEALERS interest in mind 100% of the time and pray on people not knowing whats wrong with their cars so they can charge more $$$.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

I would think going to a tire shop to get a coolant change & rad flush would sort of be like going to the Autozone for a hair cut.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM

i hope you get your car aligned at the alignment shop instead of the tire shop, cause if you got it aligned at teh same place that did the tires that would be asinine.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
i hope you get your car aligned at the alignment shop instead of the tire shop, cause if you got it aligned at teh same place that did the tires that would be asinine.

Ah hahahahaha. Your a funny guy. Not
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Not trying to be funny. trying to help you see that just cause its a "tire place" doesnt mean they cant do quality work. So i guess you dont perform your own maintenance either.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

I take my car to the dealer for maintenance.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM

Any shop will be able to do a coolant flush. It's not brain surgery. Just make sure to mention to them u want Dexcool. If u want gm Dexcool mention that and they will make arrangements for it at a price that will be higher ten their suppliers Dexcool approved stuff
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
I know you're looking to go elsewhere; just wanted to ask about your statement "I've been a little annoyed with my dealer" - has something happened recently? If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Pretty much what riceburner said...nothing in particular but I just did not have the best feeling last time I went. Went in for one service that I ended up not even needing and still left with a $250 bill. I'm not writing them off forever, but I wanted to compare the customer service experience to a local shop.

From GM's perspective, could you explain why, as an example, all the dealers still try to scare me into getting an oil change every 3000 miles? This reflects poorly either on their training or on GM, since the mechanic will claim waiting as long as the owner's manual says is not good for the vehicle.

Thank you for asking, btw.

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL
Any shop will be able to do a coolant flush. It's not brain surgery. Just make sure to mention to them u want Dexcool. If u want gm Dexcool mention that and they will make arrangements for it at a price that will be higher ten their suppliers Dexcool approved stuff
Thanks. This seems to make sense. I'll be sure to mention that when I bring it in.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Actually Goodyear Gemini is a Service Center, they do maintenance too, its not a just "tire shop". (I know they do tires too, but its a service center)

Personally something simple as a coolant change I would do myself.

As K-Train04RL Said, make sure they use DexCool Coolant (orange colored), but make sure its Dexcool 6, not dexcool 3.

Last edited by johnccc; 04-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnccc
Actually Goodyear Gemini is a Service Center, they do maintenance too, its not a just "tire shop". (I know they do tires too, but its a service center)

Personally something simple as a coolant change I would do myself.

As K-Train04RL Said, make sure they use DexCool Coolant (orange colored), but make sure its Dexcool 6, not dexcool 3.
This is the first I've heard of Dexcool 6 or Dexcool 3. Are you just describing the GM Dexcool vs. the Dexcool approved? Quick Google search didn't turn up much.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM

No, actually that was me just been too much into my transmission issues and repairs when I made the post, I got it mixed up with Dexron. So yea ignore that, but make sure you get the GM approved one, it has the GM logo on the container.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

I wouldn't let them flush my toilet.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Pretty much what riceburner said...nothing in particular but I just did not have the best feeling last time I went. Went in for one service that I ended up not even needing and still left with a $250 bill. I'm not writing them off forever, but I wanted to compare the customer service experience to a local shop.

From GM's perspective, could you explain why, as an example, all the dealers still try to scare me into getting an oil change every 3000 miles? This reflects poorly either on their training or on GM, since the mechanic will claim waiting as long as the owner's manual says is not good for the vehicle.

Thank you for asking, btw.
I certainly can understand your view.

As far as the oil change question you've raised, I just checked all of the owner's manuals for the different model years of the Cobalt. From them, it looks as though all Cobalt's should have the Engine Oil Life System (OLS), which is an on board computer that calculates the expected life of the oil based upon driving conditions, etc. (it's important to know that it does not keep track of the level of oil in the engine, and so it's wise to continue checking your oil level between services). The idea behind the OLS was to extend the period of time between oil changes beyond the traditional 3,000 miles. The only 3,000 mile recommendation I saw in the sections on oil changes was if the OLS was not reset after an oil change.

I'm happy to get you more information on the OLS - let me know!

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
I certainly can understand your view.

As far as the oil change question you've raised, I just checked all of the owner's manuals for the different model years of the Cobalt. From them, it looks as though all Cobalt's should have the Engine Oil Life System (OLS), which is an on board computer that calculates the expected life of the oil based upon driving conditions, etc. (it's important to know that it does not keep track of the level of oil in the engine, and so it's wise to continue checking your oil level between services). The idea behind the OLS was to extend the period of time between oil changes beyond the traditional 3,000 miles. The only 3,000 mile recommendation I saw in the sections on oil changes was if the OLS was not reset after an oil change.

I'm happy to get you more information on the OLS - let me know!

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Hi Sarah,

Thanks. Yes I do follow the OLS for the most part. My question is concerning training at the dealers. The mechanics there will tell me that every 3000 miles is what's best for my car and that waiting until the OLS tells me to do it is too long. It seems to me that mechanics at a GM dealer should be in alignment with what GM recommends for the car. Otherwise, it either means the techs are not trained properly, or that they don't trust GM's own service recommendations, which seems odd.

I got the call back from Goodyear. As additional PM items they recommended fuel injection service and brake fluid service. After reading the owner's manual and seeing no mention of either of these items and some internet searching I decided to decline these two service items. However, it seems some manufacturers (Honda, BMW) recommend the brake fluid flush every 2 or 3 years, while others (Ford, Chrysler, GM) do not. What is best in this case? Why the varying opinions among the manufacturers?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly do they do for Fuel Injection service??? As far as brake fluid flushes, Thats probably not a bad idea. The fluid in the lines can absorbe moisture and cause problems, though ive had a few old vehicals in my time and never once did a brake fluid change and never had any fluid related brake problems. If I get get ahold of my buddy to help with the clutch I'll probaly end up doing it this weekend,
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks. Yes I do follow the OLS for the most part. My question is concerning training at the dealers. The mechanics there will tell me that every 3000 miles is what's best for my car and that waiting until the OLS tells me to do it is too long. It seems to me that mechanics at a GM dealer should be in alignment with what GM recommends for the car. Otherwise, it either means the techs are not trained properly, or that they don't trust GM's own service recommendations, which seems odd.

I got the call back from Goodyear. As additional PM items they recommended fuel injection service and brake fluid service. After reading the owner's manual and seeing no mention of either of these items and some internet searching I decided to decline these two service items. However, it seems some manufacturers (Honda, BMW) recommend the brake fluid flush every 2 or 3 years, while others (Ford, Chrysler, GM) do not. What is best in this case? Why the varying opinions among the manufacturers?

Thanks.
Good morning,

If you were willing to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I could ask our Technical Assistance Center for any information they'd be able to provide about the best approach to servicing the fuel injection/brake fluid.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service