Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Heat/Air wont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat/Air wont turn off

When I turn the heating/air to off, a low pressure of heat or air, depending on which it is set, still flows steadily out of whichever vent it is set on. Which wouldnt be a problem if it wasnt in the 80 degree range here and wasnt eating up my gas mileage. Anyone else know what this could be? It wont cut completely off unless the car is completely off. It still bursts a nice steady stream of heat or air.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM

Are you sure it's turning all the way off? If you press your recirc and A/C buttons, crank it all the way to cool and turn it off, I believe that one or both of the lights on your HVAC (A/C or Recirc) should turn off (kinda like they do if you turn the heat past a certain point, change the direction, etc.).

If they are both staying on, and I'm right (someone can back me up..) then I'd believe it's something in your HVAC controls themselves, probably just some junk stuck in there or otherwise 'off'.

If they are turning off, then I have no f*ing clue, but I'd still start by popping off that Speed HVAC knob to see if it's jacked up somehow.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
Are you sure it's turning all the way off? If you press your recirc and A/C buttons, crank it all the way to cool and turn it off, I believe that one or both of the lights on your HVAC (A/C or Recirc) should turn off (kinda like they do if you turn the heat past a certain point, change the direction, etc.).

If they are both staying on, and I'm right (someone can back me up..) then I'd believe it's something in your HVAC controls themselves, probably just some junk stuck in there or otherwise 'off'.

If they are turning off, then I have no f*ing clue, but I'd still start by popping off that Speed HVAC knob to see if it's jacked up somehow.
Thanks man I'll give that I look in the morning before I trudge to work.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM

are you getting airflow when the car is not moving?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM

well honestly im a student mechanic and it sounds like its a normal thing i mean every car will blow warm air throw the cow vents. even when the heat is turned off. unless it is a blowing noise. is there a noise? but anyway there are cow vents under the windsheild that automatically take in the air from the outsides and throw into the cabin
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by blazinbaltss
well honestly im a student mechanic and it sounds like its a normal thing i mean every car will blow warm air throw the cow vents. even when the heat is turned off. unless it is a blowing noise. is there a noise? but anyway there are cow vents under the windsheild that automatically take in the air from the outsides and throw into the cabin
that's why i was asking if there's airflow when the car is stopped. if there is, then the blower is staying on. the blower could be staying on if the resistor is failing or (like was said before) if the switch is bad.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by golden chicken
that's why i was asking if there's airflow when the car is stopped. if there is, then the blower is staying on. the blower could be staying on if the resistor is failing or (like was said before) if the switch is bad.
correct man the blower motor switch what about a relay?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM

i don't have access to a wiring schematic for the balts, but i am looking at one for the ion (which i assume is quite similar) and the relay is before the switch, and it's controlled by the BCM. the relay is hot at all times and the BCM grounds it based on a logic circuit (which i assume is "key on") and since he said it stops when the car is off, it seems that the BCM is still in control of that relay.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM

iv noticed it since day 1. I think hes right about the "cow vents" If you set it to blow onto the driver and passenger and then turn it completely off, you will still get a pretty dull airflow. Enough to feel though. I usually set it to feet and i dont worry about it. Im pretty certain its just how its made probobly to vent the cabin
Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^x2 same thing here. My last car did the same thing so I guess I'm just used to it. But like some other guys said, if you're still getting it when sitting still, you may have an issue. But during normal driving and especially on the highway you'll get it blowing out a little. Obviously, the faster you go, the more air it'll blow out on you. Just switch it to your feet or something and don't worry about it.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Premium Member

If you hit the recirculate button with the fan in the off position it will stop all airflow . It doesn't work in all positions thou , IIRC on defrost it will keep flowing but on vent and floor it will shut off completely .