Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Need help with fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with fuel pump

I'm replacing my fuel pump right now since there's been fuel leaking down to the bottom of the gas tank. I have to tank disconnected and out from underneath the car, but now I can't get the fuel pump out. I have no clue if it's suppose to twist out or what. I've been trying everything and get this bitch out. Anyone know how it's suppose to come out?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why dont u just take it to the dealer for the fuel pump recall? thats what i did
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by scottyguy401
I'm replacing my fuel pump right now since there's been fuel leaking down to the bottom of the gas tank. I have to tank disconnected and out from underneath the car, but now I can't get the fuel pump out. I have no clue if it's suppose to twist out or what. I've been trying everything and get this bitch out. Anyone know how it's suppose to come out?
If you are trying to do it yourself, you will see a big black ring which holds the feul oump/sender unit in place. You need to convince it to twist off BUT for saftey sake you need to use a piece of brass metal so when you are hitting it, no sparks happen which could lead to bigger problems. I have had to do this very thing when I upgraged to a return style system on my DD.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
•Use the J 45722 and a long breaker-bar in order to unlock the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a counter-clockwise direction.

Important:

• Some lock rings were manufactured with "DO NOT REUSE" stamped into them. These lock rings may be reused if they are not damaged or warped.

• Inspect the lock ring for damage due to improper removal or installation procedures. If damage is found, install a NEW lock ring.

• Check the lock ring for flatness.
•Place the lock ring on a flat surface. Measure the clearance between the lock ring and the flat surface using a feeler gage at 7 points.
•If the warpage is less than 0.41 mm (0.016 in), the lock ring does not require replacement.
•If the warpage is greater than 0.41 mm (0.016 in) the lock ring must be replaced.

•Slowly lift the fuel pump module (2) up until the fuel level sensor float arm is just visible. Ensure that the fuel level sensor harness connector clears the tank opening.
Important: When removing the fuel pump module from the fuel tank, be aware that the pump module reservoir bowl is full of fuel. The reservoir must be tipped slightly during removal to avoid bending the fuel level sensor float arm.

•Tilt the fuel pump module (2) toward the front of the fuel tank to enable the level sensor float arm to clear the tank opening. Remove the pump module (2) from the tank.
•Remove the fuel pump module lock ring (1).
•Discard the fuel in the pump module reservoir bowl into an approved fuel container.
•If only replacing the module, remove the fuel level sensor. Refer to Fuel Level Sensor Replacement.
Important: Do NOT reuse the old fuel pump module-to-fuel tank seal.

•Remove and discard the fuel pump module seal (3).
Installation Procedure

•Position a NEW fuel pump module seal (3) onto the fuel tank.
•If installing only the module, install the fuel level sensor. Refer to Fuel Level Sensor Replacement.
•Install the fuel pump module lock ring (1) over the module feed and return lines and into position on top of the module.
Important: The reservoir must be tipped slightly during installation to avoid bending the fuel level sensor float arm.

•Tilt the fuel pump module (2) toward the front of the fuel tank to enable the level sensor float arm to clear the tank opening. Install the fuel pump module (2) to the fuel tank.
•Slowly lower the fuel pump module (2) into the tank. Ensure that the fuel lines align with the cut outs in the tank.

Important:

• Ensure that the fuel pump module lock ring is fully seated within the fuel tank retaining tab slots.

• Always replace the fuel sender seal when installing the fuel sender assembly. Replace the lock ring if necessary. Do not apply any type of lubrication in the seal groove. Ensure that the lock ring is installed with the correct side facing upward. A correctly installed lick ring will only turn in a clockwise direction.

•Use the J 45722 in order to install the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a clockwise direction.

•Secure the fuel feed and return lines to the retaining features (1) on the fuel tank.

•Position the fuel tank harness and connect the fuel tank harness electrical connector to the fuel pump module.
•Install the fuel tank harness to the retaining features on the fuel tank.
•Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Coblasts
Use the J 45722 and a long breaker-bar in order to unlock the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a counter-clockwise direction.

Important:

• Some lock rings were manufactured with "DO NOT REUSE" stamped into them. These lock rings may be reused if they are not damaged or warped.

• Inspect the lock ring for damage due to improper removal or installation procedures. If damage is found, install a NEW lock ring.

• Check the lock ring for flatness.
•Place the lock ring on a flat surface. Measure the clearance between the lock ring and the flat surface using a feeler gage at 7 points.
•If the warpage is less than 0.41 mm (0.016 in), the lock ring does not require replacement.
•If the warpage is greater than 0.41 mm (0.016 in) the lock ring must be replaced.

•Slowly lift the fuel pump module (2) up until the fuel level sensor float arm is just visible. Ensure that the fuel level sensor harness connector clears the tank opening.
Important: When removing the fuel pump module from the fuel tank, be aware that the pump module reservoir bowl is full of fuel. The reservoir must be tipped slightly during removal to avoid bending the fuel level sensor float arm.

•Tilt the fuel pump module (2) toward the front of the fuel tank to enable the level sensor float arm to clear the tank opening. Remove the pump module (2) from the tank.
•Remove the fuel pump module lock ring (1).
•Discard the fuel in the pump module reservoir bowl into an approved fuel container.
•If only replacing the module, remove the fuel level sensor. Refer to Fuel Level Sensor Replacement.
Important: Do NOT reuse the old fuel pump module-to-fuel tank seal.

•Remove and discard the fuel pump module seal (3).
Installation Procedure

•Position a NEW fuel pump module seal (3) onto the fuel tank.
•If installing only the module, install the fuel level sensor. Refer to Fuel Level Sensor Replacement.
•Install the fuel pump module lock ring (1) over the module feed and return lines and into position on top of the module.
Important: The reservoir must be tipped slightly during installation to avoid bending the fuel level sensor float arm.

•Tilt the fuel pump module (2) toward the front of the fuel tank to enable the level sensor float arm to clear the tank opening. Install the fuel pump module (2) to the fuel tank.
•Slowly lower the fuel pump module (2) into the tank. Ensure that the fuel lines align with the cut outs in the tank.

Important:

• Ensure that the fuel pump module lock ring is fully seated within the fuel tank retaining tab slots.

• Always replace the fuel sender seal when installing the fuel sender assembly. Replace the lock ring if necessary. Do not apply any type of lubrication in the seal groove. Ensure that the lock ring is installed with the correct side facing upward. A correctly installed lick ring will only turn in a clockwise direction.

•Use the J 45722 in order to install the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a clockwise direction.

•Secure the fuel feed and return lines to the retaining features (1) on the fuel tank.

•Position the fuel tank harness and connect the fuel tank harness electrical connector to the fuel pump module.
•Install the fuel tank harness to the retaining features on the fuel tank.
•Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement.
Because we all have one of those at home.