Needle in a haystack - Cobalt SS Network

Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #1  

Canada Needle in a haystack

Looking for needle in haystack.....first post....hey guys, don't ask me how, but my daughter managed to rip the wires from to clutch pedal switch right out of the wire harness pack. The 2 wires are solid pink and solid yellow. So the car is dead....can always push start but this isn't practical. I have the switch and about 8 inches of wire, the wires show that they were torn by pulling. Can anyone help narrow down which harness they came from so I can look for the remaining wires? Where do they terminate...ignition switch? BCM?

Have scoured google and forums for wiring diagrams with little luck. Right now front seat is out, lower dash is removed as is the ignition switch cover...several wire packs under there, nothing sticking out....need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks

RED 2005 SS/SC
Chuckkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #2  
HGT

Here's a condensed schematic of what's going on.

Turning the key supplies battery voltage through a 10 amp fuse to the red wire
Closing the clutch switch sends it out of the yellow wire to the power side of the crank relay under the hood.
The ECM completes a ground to energize the crank relay.

Finding the yellow wire is more important than the red as it is ignition switched voltage. You can pick that up from a lot of places.

This is where the crank relay is under the hood.

The bottom left and top right terminal jumped together will crank the engine over if the key is on so don't do it in gear. Easier than push starting it until you get it fixed.

Last edited by HGT; 07-12-2018 at 08:43 PM.
HGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HGT For This Useful Post:
Chuckkr (07-12-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #3  

Nice job hgt
63 Nova SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #4  

That's what I mean about the interweb being a wonderful thing.....HGT your info is spot on and will help greatly. All I have to do now is wait for it to cool down. Its been brutally hot all week. Right now 31C (83F) really don't feel like laying on my back in a hot car. Ironically in 6 months it will be -31C (-25F) Will let you know how I make out. Thanks again HGT
Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #5  

83°F sounds wonderful right now
exninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #6  

It's a super humid heat here, 50% tomorrow. Anything beyond standing still in the shade and you're drenched in sweat.

It also reaches below -40C (-40F) in the Winter. It's warm for us.
cluelessk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #7  

That's our weather for ya, much the same in ON my friend
Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #8  

Well some progress, but no success. Spent 4 hours on it today, many on my back under the dash, you know how much fun that is. Did not find the wires. Did try the relay jumper trick and yes the car starts and runs. Decided to go underhood to the fuse box. Removed fuse/relay side of fuse box. Found the harness that feeds the crank relay, yes it is a yellow wire that feeds the relay. Followed that wirepack to the firewall, but couldn't trace it inside the car....too cramped. Relented and tried a semi bubba fix..ie: tap into the yellow relay wire at the fuse box before the relay, give it 12V and it should engage the starter...no dice. Tried with ign switch off, and in run, no starter engagement. Tried 12V from the fuse box, and direct from the battery. What is interesting is when give jumper 12V the headlights come on, but they don't come on when using the relay jumper to get the car running.

Thinking now that the ignition switch plays an important role in supplying a signal to the starter relay, and other circuits when in start position. Semi resigned to spending more time under the dash to trackdown the elusive wires.

HGT..1) any chance you can post the ign switch schematic? 2) the schematic posted shows the switch getting 12V from the BCM (under center of dash) should I be looking for the pink there? I know the yellow is more important, but finding 12V in start isn't that easy. Most 12V circuits are disabled when ing. switch in start position. Your interest and help is REALLY appreciated.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #9  
HGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckkr View Post
tap into the yellow relay wire at the fuse box before the relay, give it 12V and it should engage the starter...
By doing this you are only simulating a closed clutch switch... You need to turn the key to the crank position. Make sure your crank relay is in and the transmission is in neutral!

It should now start... If not there is more wrong than a ripped out clutch switch
HGT is offline   Reply With Quote