Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

new keys made at dealership cost....WTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new keys made at dealership cost....WTF

i need another set of keys for my car cause i lost one. and i only have one right now so im like alright lets go get it done. in the past these keys havent been that much. i go to the dealer and they are like

D: ya 40 dollars for the new key to be made and then (get this) I dont know if u can program it to ur car or if service has to do it.

M: ok ya how much is that gonna be

D: umm im not sure but its gonna cost extra.

M: im gonna go check this out i'll get back to u.

is this for real. i mean im just having the key done, i dont have a alarm. can i get this cut at like ace hardware or something???
Old 04-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Yep... we have the transponder keys and it sucks ass.

To my understanding... if you have 2 sets you can get a 3rd set made at the dealer no problem. However if you only have one you have to send off to GM to get the new key programmed.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM

EBAY, EBAY, EBAY!
trust me they have them, they are cheap and they work!
i have used this guy before to buy keys and remotes for other cars i have owned!
i would highly recomend him, fast shipping no BS.
hers a link to exactly what you need
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

wait doesnt ur key have to be "programed"

so ur saying in order for me to get my keys done they have to take my key and i go carless for a while??
Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keys are easy to program. Even if you have just 1 key, as long as it's not one of those stupid valet keys, you can program them in less than a minute.

All you have to do is after the key gets cut, you insert your original key in the ignition and turn the key to the "ON" position. Do not try and start. Just the ON. wait for all your dash lights to turn off. It usually takes about 5-10 seconds. Then after the lights turn off, turn off the ign and remove the key. Insert the cut key and do the same. Do not try and start, just turn to the "ON". After the lights are off turn off the ign and remove the key.

Your all done!!

I done it hundreds of times cuz I'm the one that usually cuts keys here at the dealership.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Yeah there transponder keys, you must have a old one to program the new one........If you dont the service dept. will have to program it for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding Keys
Important:

• To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned master key be available.

• A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.

• This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.

• The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.

• If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Originally Posted by VeNNy06SS/SC
Yeah there transponder keys, you must have a old one to program the new one........If you dont the service dept. will have to program it for you.
If you lose your keys completely, you can do the 30 minute relearn procedure yourself to save money by not taking it to the dealership. The dealership can relearn a key with the Tech 2 in 10 minutes but they will charge you to do so. But the 30 minute process does not require the Tech 2.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

• The vehicle keys

• The TDM

• The ECM

Important:

• This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with export or Canadian configured TDMs.

• When performing the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure, all previously learned keys will be from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after the completeion of the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure by using the Adding Keys procedure.

• When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, ensure the procedure to setup a new TDM is performed prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.

With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys .
Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

do u think the dealer will charge me if they do it? doesnt seem like a big procedure but i dont wanna screw up lol
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by fr33k
keys are easy to program. Even if you have just 1 key, as long as it's not one of those stupid valet keys, you can program them in less than a minute.

All you have to do is after the key gets cut, you insert your original key in the ignition and turn the key to the "ON" position. Do not try and start. Just the ON. wait for all your dash lights to turn off. It usually takes about 5-10 seconds. Then after the lights turn off, turn off the ign and remove the key. Insert the cut key and do the same. Do not try and start, just turn to the "ON". After the lights are off turn off the ign and remove the key.

Your all done!!

I done it hundreds of times cuz I'm the one that usually cuts keys here at the dealership.

what he said...ive done it many times here at work too u just need the 1 original one
Old 06-12-2007, 03:25 PM

fr33k, do you have the procedures for programming the KEY FOB??

I bought a pair of keys w/fobs for my 2003 Honda Accord, and the procedure to code the fobs was really simple, like turning the key on and off about four times, stepping on the brake, pushing any one button on a working fob, and then immediately, within a few seconds, push a button on te new fob(s). But the doors must be closed when you do it ;-)

On the Accord transponder keys, they had to be programmed at a dealer or lock smith, unlike the Cobalt transponder keys.

Thanks