Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

No crank with key, but remote starts fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No crank with key, but remote starts fine

Cobalt ss lsj has an aftermarket radio installed and viper remote start installed about 2+ years ago. Everything has worked fine so I don't suspect it's the remote start nor the radio. When turning the key it won't crank most of the time but I can try turning the key 20+ times and it might turn over on let's say the 23rd timetbut when I accidently turn off the key to try for the next key turn before realizing it tried to crank it won't start the 24th. I tried getting a new key thinking my transponder chip might be dead and it didn't work for a few days then after I took it to a shop to get looked at it just started working like there was never a problem. I ran on it for a few weeks then when I got in the car one day I went to start the vehicle before finishing depressing the clutch all the way and then ever since then it's been not cranking again. Although I think the "not pressing the clutch all the way in" was just a coincidence. I also removed the clutch switch and tested it. I'm consistently getting connection. And it still remote starts without fail. What can I try?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
You're right that the clutch switch is likely not the issue. They have to be disabled for the remote start to work anyways. When those alarms are installed they interrupt the ignition switch wire, so the issue is either in the alarm or the ignition switch. What I would do is find the alarm module and test the ignition wire going into the module when you turn the key. If you have voltage but no crank, you know it's the module (since the remote start works no problem).
The following users liked this post:
coyn11 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:12 PM

So before i was on mobile and didn't supply all information regarding this problem. 2-3 years ago i did the install myself, it was my first install but got it all working. Car has been remote starting and starting with key just fine for years, then 2ish months ago i replaced my strut assemblies and my car sat for a few days. I started my car up to go to work and drove there and back fine. The next day i drove out to go to work and stopped to get gas and turned off my car fueled up and got back into my vehicle and went to step on the clutch and turn the key over. i felt like i got a little ahead in turning the key and turned the key before depressing the clutch to the point where the clutch switch registered it. The car didn't crank. i tried again and it cranked a little then stopped. i tried again and no crank.
At this point i thought i had a dead battery was grateful someone was able to give me a jump during morning rush hour. The car didn't crank even after jumping it but managed to push start it. I got to work and when returning home it didn't crank right away i tried turning the key several times before it would crank and start. Over the next week my car would take more and more attempts at turning the key before it would crank and start. By the end of the week it would not crank. I discovered that i could remote start the vehicle reliably that weekend and just relied on that for a week while i did some research.
The following weekend i went digging for my spare key and gave it a go thinking it could be a dead transponder chip. The key worked immediately and worked every time for about a week. The spare key took more and more attempts to crank eventually it too was not working. And back to remote starting it was.
At this point i assumed that the transponder chip in my spare key was just about to die and only had a little life left and so i decided to go to the dealership and have parts cut me a new key. The guy at the parts counter ran out and even programmed the key for me. We tried the key right then and there and... Nothing. I switched to the spare key and got a push start and pulled out to go home. While coasting i turned off my car, swapped keys to the new key, and popped the clutch to restart the vehicle and drove home. While at home i tried starting the vehicle with the key and to no avail, Back to remote starting the vehicle.
The following weekend i was frustrated wanted to be done with this problem and decided to take the car up to the dealership and have them look at it. I dropped it off and waited for my girlfriend to come pick me up after work. I walked around the lot and then was approached by the service guy telling me they couldn't work on my car with an aftermarket alarm. i walked over to the vehicle which was up on the lift and talked to the tech and asked him if he had any suggestions. He told me to just try unplugging the module and try starting it. After that he dropped the vehicle off the lift and told me to go get my receipt from the cashier and he would meet me out back with my car. I met him back there and asked him how he got it started. He informed me that it started right up no problem. From the moment of me dropping it off the vehicle would start with the newest of keys. I asked him what he did and he said "nothing". It now started up every time without fail again... untill 2 weeks later when i went to start my vehicle and turned the key slightly before depressing the clutch all the way. It then took several attempts to start it and when i got home i turned it off then back on again to see if it would start. it started right up. then off again and then i tried starting it again immediately... and nothing. Back to remote starting the vehicle.
My vehicle has not started on its own since then the following week is when i posted this post from my mobile.
Tonight i tested the Voltage at the ignition wire and when cranking i get 10-11.5 Volts at ignition wire going from ign to remote start module as well as the same voltage leaving to the car side. i put a 12 gauge jumper between the two wires going into and out of the aftermarket alarm module(pin 6&7 on the attached manual) and it cranked 2 cycles then stopped i tried it again and cant get the car to crank anymore. What do i try next?
Attached Files
Old 11-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Updat

That night of testing the voltage at the ignition wire, I unknowingly knocked the accessory wire and broke the keyside ACC wire from the "Remote start ACC/ Keyside ACC/Carside ACC" solder connection. After that night my aftermarket radio would only work during remote start. Last night i pulled my radio and began diagnosing the issue and that's when i found the ACC wire was completely separated. Im not sure if the wire was barely connected and was causing the interment start issue or not.

Today i hooked everything back up and jostled the Ignition switch harness and between jostles i tried to start a hand full of times. The car would either not start at all or start every time between jostles i then pushed the connector in and felt the smallest of clicks like the harness clip that holds the wires in clicked back into place. i then jostled the wires about 3-4 times and it starts every time. I buttoned everything up and it seems to start reliably. I hope its solved once and for all!