Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

No crank troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
No crank troubleshooting

On Saturday my '09 SS, sadly but for the first time, left me stranded. I was running errands all morning and when I went to start her up again there was no cranking at all. Everything clicked on as if it was ready to start. I did some basic troubleshooting in the parking lot. I checked all related fuses under the hood and in the BCM, no problems. I found the main crank relay had a corroded terminal, so I swapped it with the rear defroster one, still no go. I had a bluetooth OBD II reader plugged in and could monitor battery voltage, 12v and it was dropping to 11.8v when I tried to start it, so no draw on the battery from the starter. The ignition switch was replaced ~2 years ago during the recall, so that's not likely. I ended up getting a tow back home (65 miles). When I got home, it started right up; no problem. I've narrowed it down to the clutch switch or the starter solenoid. Is it possible it could be anything else? This past October I did swap the transmission on it, so I was going to also double check all my fuse box connections as well and clean up the corroded terminal. Other than that, I have nothing to troubleshoot because it's working fine now.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Get the battery tested. 11.8 may not be enough to start it.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Get the battery tested. 11.8 may not be enough to start it.
Once the tow truck got to my house I cranked it again and it started right up. I've started 4-5 times since then, though I haven't driven the car aside from moving it's location in the driveway.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
You maybe losing a cell, get the battery checked first before digging deeper
Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Like Nova said check the battery. It's the easiest o do and will eliminate it as a possibility. To me it sounds like either the battery, a loose connection, or like you said a switch on it's way out though I would think if the switch was out it would be out and not intermittent. I think the clutch switch is fairly accessible and should be fairly easy to check for continuity. Does it act exactly the same as when you don't press the clutch in when trying to start?
Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Like Nova said check the battery. It's the easiest o do and will eliminate it as a possibility. To me it sounds like either the battery, a loose connection, or like you said a switch on it's way out though I would think if the switch was out it would be out and not intermittent. I think the clutch switch is fairly accessible and should be fairly easy to check for continuity. Does it act exactly the same as when you don't press the clutch in when trying to start?
I just got back from having the battery tested and everything checked out just fine.

Yes, it acted exactly the same when I attempted to start the car as trying to start it without the clutch in. Though, I agree with you in regards to the switch being intermittent. This is why I am thinking it could possibly be the starter actuator sticking. This evening I am going to pull the fuse box back out and check that I have everything seated fully since I removed it back in October to replace the trans and also clean the terminals on those relays.