Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

No turbo power and Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No turbo power and Engine light

Hey guys, I am brand new to the cobalt world!
I picked up a 2008 Cobalt SS with the stage kit in it.
Car is amazing, but I am having a problem!!
(i have searched for answers to this and haven't found anyone with this problem)

Today I had my SS out running around town and everything was fine.
I was on my home so I set the cruise control and was enjoying the ride.
I ended up running into traffic and went to pass a few cars but I had absolutely no Boost at all! My boost gauge sat on 0 and I was using pure motor power. I looked down and read "service ECS" and my engine light came on. As soon as the light came on I lost all power to the car and I could not turn it on. I had to pull over and remove the car to start the car again and I still have no boost!

Any ideas what I'm looking at here?

I lucked out with the car, it still has 4 years of warranty left, but I would really like to know whats going on so they dealership cannot jerk me around!

Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Same problem for me yesterday. I have an 09 SS though. Lost all turbo power. The gauge would not go into boost past 0. Car drives with absolutely no problem aside form that. Engine light came on... I should mention I have the GM turbo upgrade, it has been on for months.

I know this can be several things and I will take it in. Problem is the dealership is very busy so who know s how long before they can take a look at it.

Is it safe to drive like that??? I don't want to cause further damage.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM

I personally don't have the stage kit on my 09 SS, but I've read quite a few threads of this happening. Check the connections on your map sensor, they need to be soldered on. You can also check for boost leaks, but it sounds like your guys connections weren't soldered when they replaced the old map sensor with the new.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it has just the stage kit check the wires. Some techs just crimped them instead of soldering. Look at the wires on both the Map sensors. Very common problem
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM

The dealership too it in imediatelly and just got a call. Airflow sensor bugged out, covered under warranty so they will fix it. Nothing major fortunately.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Ooops I spoke too soon. Turns out some power control module in the Turbo is also busted and my intercooler is getting replaced because of cracks. Good news is everything is under warranty and the whole thing won't cost me anything