Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

noise i think i figured out.. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise i think i figured out.. what do you think?

2006 ss/sc with 65k miles. I just got around to putting a 2.8" pulley on it, I waited until I could afford and put on the zzp mps and all the supporting mods at one time.

Day 1: car runs like wow wth what car is this?!
Day 2: start car up for the first time of the day and knock knock knock coming from under the hood. Car is idling normal. To a keen ear the engine sounds good as it ever has but put a stethiscope to the snout of the blower and you can hear it knocking from there in sync with a vibration. So I thought it was the coupler. Ordered one from zzp swapped it out and still knocking.

So upon closer inspection I noticed the knock in sync with the drive belt wobbling, so I check it for proper alignment on all the pulleys ect and it looks good so on a curious hunch I decided to take it off and inspect it.
Well it was missing about a 4 inch spot of ribs on the underside of the belt in one spot and among the various pulleys there was embedded belt bits. I concluded it was the belt making the racket.

I know of the timing belt issue and such, could be that I dunno. The rest of the motor should be in good shape, I've never abused the car. The stock pirellis lasted me 30k miles and those things were trash for mileage. That just goes to show how easy a life the cars had.

So does my bad belt theory have merit? A s2 belt is cheap, ordered another one on the hunch but still

Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, a belt with a bad section can give you noise and vibrations. often may sound like a bad bearing. you could always remove the belt and start it up for a quick second.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM

sub'd cus i have a similar problem
Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM

pushing the belt tensioner in seemed to lesson the noise/vib. I thought it might have been in my head though lol. I do have the old belt put up I can put back on and check in the mean time of waiting on a new s2 belt
Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM

I figured it all out today. The bad belt was partially the cause of the knock, it wasn't the problem though it was a symptom.

The cheesy little gas shock that tensions the tensioner pulley was broken at the top just below the pulley around the torx bolt that holds it on. The cast aluminum part that is shaped like an O that you bold through and into the lower part of the tensioner pulley was broke. Just enough that you couldn't tell by looking at it.

When I pulled off the old belt there sure enough were several bad belt segments like I thought and on a hunch I wiggled the tensioner and it didn't feel right so I got to looking and found the clean break.

Now I am on to another problem. Finding a part # for it, does anyone have any ideas where I can research this piece and get a part # or does anyone know of one?