Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy overheating

bit of a long story but just want to make sure Im giving all the details so I can get this fixed.So about a month ago I was driving home and my cars overheating light came on. I pulled over, shut the car of and let it cool. I was only a couple miles from home so I didn't think to look at anything at the time but it acted just normal no overheating no nothing. The following day it did it again on my way home from work which isn't even a 15 minute drive. Took it to the shop I take all my vehicles to and they had it for three days, driving it here and there throughout the day but couldn't get it to overheat. The very next morning that I have it back it gets hot so I talked to some work people and ended up changing my thermostat myself. Two days later it overheats so I take it back to the shop. Once again it wont overheat for them but they think maybe I just had an air bubble in it and they pulled a vacuum on it just to make sure. I get it back on Thursday and everything seems to be fine. I make an 8 hour round trip that weekend without any problems, and do the same the following weekend except when I get back from that one about 5 miles from my place it overheats again. I got it back down to normal temp and watched my digital temp the rest of the way home. I noticed that if the engine started to get closer to 250 and I revved my engine it would shoot the temperature down to 180 within seconds but would still climb right back. so I took it to the shop and they suspected my water pump was going bad so I had it replaced. I called them a couple days later and they said its replaced but its still getting hot, it wont get up to 250 but still runs between 225 and 235. car overheats again the next day and I chose to take it to a different shop to see what they said. they said all the same things that my other shop said and they pulled a vacuum again on it along with a flush of the system just to see if I had anything in there causing some blockage. Well it didn't take long for the car to overheat so im really just curious what my next step should be. What should I be checking or where should I turn to. any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwilke92
bit of a long story but just want to make sure Im giving all the details so I can get this fixed.So about a month ago I was driving home and my cars overheating light came on. I pulled over, shut the car of and let it cool. I was only a couple miles from home so I didn't think to look at anything at the time but it acted just normal no overheating no nothing.

The following day it did it again on my way home from work which isn't even a 15 minute drive. Took it to the shop I take all my vehicles to and they had it for three days, driving it here and there throughout the day but couldn't get it to overheat. The very next morning that I have it back it gets hot so I talked to some work people and ended up changing my thermostat myself.

Two days later it overheats so I take it back to the shop. Once again it wont overheat for them but they think maybe I just had an air bubble in it and they pulled a vacuum on it just to make sure. I get it back on Thursday and everything seems to be fine. I make an 8 hour round trip that weekend without any problems, and do the same the following weekend except when I get back from that one about 5 miles from my place it overheats again. I got it back down to normal temp and watched my digital temp the rest of the way home.

I noticed that if the engine started to get closer to 250 and I revved my engine it would shoot the temperature down to 180 within seconds but would still climb right back. so I took it to the shop and they suspected my water pump was going bad so I had it replaced. I called them a couple days later and they said its replaced but its still getting hot, it wont get up to 250 but still runs between 225 and 235. car overheats again the next day and I chose to take it to a different shop to see what they said. they said all the same things that my other shop said and they pulled a vacuum again on it along with a flush of the system just to see if I had anything in there causing some blockage. Well it didn't take long for the car to overheat so im really just curious what my next step should be. What should I be checking or where should I turn to. any help would be much appreciated.
Make sure your radiator isn't jammed full of stuff, get a hose and rinse it off (when cool) and make sure there is no debris in the grill. Also if you have an infrared thermometer or access to one, check your radiator temp when the car is running and compare it to your coolant temp the ecu sees.

Also what trim of cobalt do you have? Miles, mods, etc.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Have you ever put radiator fix inside the system?

When it gets hot, turn on the heater to maximum heat, it should blow super hot air and it may bring your temps down. The heater in the cabin is like a miniature radiator, so if it helps drop the temps your radiator might be clogged or as mentioned blocked on the outside.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Make sure your radiator isn't jammed full of stuff, get a hose and rinse it off (when cool) and make sure there is no debris in the grill. Also if you have an infrared thermometer or access to one, check your radiator temp when the car is running and compare it to your coolant temp the ecu sees.

Also what trim of cobalt do you have? Miles, mods, etc.
06 SS with 114K miles, no mods
Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by steelmesh
Have you ever put radiator fix inside the system?

When it gets hot, turn on the heater to maximum heat, it should blow super hot air and it may bring your temps down. The heater in the cabin is like a miniature radiator, so if it helps drop the temps your radiator might be clogged or as mentioned blocked on the outside.
i have not and yah having the heat on in the morning seems to make it run hotter quicker
Old 04-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwilke92
i have not and yah having the heat on in the morning seems to make it run hotter quicker
Turning your heater on makes your coolant temperature INCREASE?
Old 04-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
Turning your heater on makes your coolant temperature INCREASE?
I second the something is funky questioning.

It could be the temp sensor has gone bad.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM

I second the something is funky questioning.

It could be the temp sensor has gone bad.
yah just checked it on my way home from work, goes up about 20 degrees if I turn my heat on and is there and way I can check if the sensor has gone bad or is it just something I would have to replace
Old 04-03-2019, 05:00 PM

That just doesn't add up, turning on the heater should decrease the overall temp as it is extracting heat. Are you getting hot air out of the vents?
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 PM

That just doesn't add up, turning on the heater should decrease the overall temp as it is extracting heat. Are you getting hot air out of the vents?
yes very hot
Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Are your fans running?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltss#01
Are your fans running?
the fans kick on just after it hits 220
Old 04-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
My car did this at one point and i have no Idea why. My car wasnt stock, It was right after I first turbocharged it. Moving the heater core lines further from the exhaust fixed it for me.... Not sure what the issue could be in your case. Make sure all the coolant hoses and heater core hoses are in good condition and not rubbing on the exhaust or something of the like.