Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Please decipher this message from my service advisor in re my 06 SS/SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please decipher this message from my service advisor in re my 06 SS/SC

Here is his latest update e-mail:

WE ARE REPLACING THE E.B.C.M BECAUSE THE S.CHARGER IR WORKING TO SPECS.

THE ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE IS THE MAIN BRAIN…(COMPUTER) IN THE VEHICLE AND AT THIS TIME IS SHOWING

A DRAW.LOW VOLTAGE CODE.WE ARE JUST REPLACING IT RIGHT NOW SO ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

THANK YOU
I have been having problems with CEL repeatedly (the car has been in EIGHT different times in the last 2.5 months). They've already done:

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE ENGINE REPROGRAMMING WITH SPS

and

THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT

and replaced various sensors.

I was told that they were running all sorts of diagnostics in anticipation of (and perhaps to prevent?) changing the supercharger on my car.

Apparently, at some point, a GM "World Class Technician" was involved. In addition, the "shop foreman" was on 'the job' today, as well as the technician who has been working on it regularly.

Any guidance you can give me, supporting thoughts :-) etc. would be appreciated.

Btw, totally and completely stock.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 PM

i dunno
Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 PM

there replacing the ebcm..it says it in the first sentence what do u need help with?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
there replacing the ebcm..it says it in the first sentence what do u need help with?
Does this sound right to you, though?

ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE IS THE MAIN BRAIN…(COMPUTER) IN THE VEHICLE
Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 PM

Is the "electronic brake control module" the "main brain (computer) in the vehicle?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, the PCM is.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powertrain Control Module Function
The powertrain control module (PCM) constantly looks at the information from various sensors and other inputs and controls systems that affect vehicle performance and emissions. The PCM also performs diagnostic tests on various parts of the system. The PCM can recognize operational problems and alert the driver via the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). When the PCM detects a malfunction, the PCM stores a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). The problem area is identified by the particular DTC that is set. The control module supplies a buffered voltage to various sensors and switches. The input and output devices in the PCM include analog-to-digital converters, signal buffers, counters, and output drivers. The output drivers are electronic switches that complete a ground or voltage circuit when turned on. Most PCM controlled components are operated via output drivers. The PCM monitors these driver circuits for proper operation and, in most cases, can set a DTC corresponding to the controlled device if a problem is detected.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan
Nope, the PCM is.
Thanks, that's what I thought. It doesn't exactly boost my confidence when the service advisor himself writes that the EBCM is the "brain" of the vehicle.

I was told on Saturday that they had replaced the item and that the car was running smoothly, no codes, etc. They asked me if I was ok with them keeping the car another day to test drive it further. I agreed.

They didn't contact me at all over Sunday (I have a loaner, so they probably think it's alright and I don't mind not having my car. I do).

I still haven't heard from them.

Originally Posted by Coblasts
Powertrain Control Module Function
The powertrain control module (PCM) constantly looks at the information from various sensors and other inputs and controls systems that affect vehicle performance and emissions. The PCM also performs diagnostic tests on various parts of the system. The PCM can recognize operational problems and alert the driver via the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). When the PCM detects a malfunction, the PCM stores a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). The problem area is identified by the particular DTC that is set. The control module supplies a buffered voltage to various sensors and switches. The input and output devices in the PCM include analog-to-digital converters, signal buffers, counters, and output drivers. The output drivers are electronic switches that complete a ground or voltage circuit when turned on. Most PCM controlled components are operated via output drivers. The PCM monitors these driver circuits for proper operation and, in most cases, can set a DTC corresponding to the controlled device if a problem is detected.
Thank you. This makes a LOT more sense than the Service Advisor's nonsense.

Last edited by Nomarchy; 01-14-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost