Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Pulley Messed Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulley Messed Up

Okay so a while ago I tried taking off my pulley (to replace it with nates 2,.9) with my brother, we couldn't get it off worth ****. So we bought a compressor with an impact wrench (not only for this job) and we tried getting it off, still no luck. I've got the stage 2 bolts and the tool and everything, there's only one problem now; the bolts are stripped to ****. Any idea on how to get them out? i'm thinking the only way is to drill it.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 AM

you can try using a dremel to slot it for a screwdriver but it sounds like they are so locked up your going to have to drill it out but if you mess up the threads youll need to put on a new hub aswell
Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 AM

Thats some shitty business. I have had to drill out many screws in the past, and I think it sounds like youre ready to do the same. Or if possible (I doubt it), you could weld something onto the tip of the screw (hex) and take it off with a ratchet... I would need to see a pic. This aint good though, and you may have fuked the hub. Mine wasnt hard at all, compared to other stories I have heard.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM

you're gonna have to drill them out... it blows.

luckily mine came out without too much of a problem... though we did manage to totally destroy the 2 bolt removal tools in the process of getting them off... I used a large pipe wrench to hold the pulley and had 2 other friends hold the blower down while a 3rd friend used the largest breaker bar we had (like 24") to get the bolts out.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Take off the blower and see if you can rotate them with some vice grips. From what I remember there is a lip you might be able to grab onto.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 AM

They loctite'd your bolts! You will either have to drill them out, or find some other ingenious way to get them off!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM

We DID take the blower off, and somehow fucked up the tensioner in the process...(We got that fixed though, and everything runs fine.) Can you replace just the hub on the blowers? And how much would that be?

We even tried a reverse lock kit or whatever my brother tried to use...We couldn't ******* BUGDE the things.

Originally Posted by M-Dub
They loctite'd your bolts! You will either have to drill them out, or find some other ingenious way to get them off!
Thank you captain obvious! haha.

Last edited by wombat; 01-14-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM

ok i just did this ****
mine had red loctite on them
i had to
take the blower off,
saran wrap all open ports
but blower in a big vise (cAREFULLY)
drill a straight slot in each bolt to fit flathead in
get the tool to thread a tap and die kit (it had two handles and an adjustable clamp to clamp on the shaft of the flathead) this is available at sears, another option is to grip the plastic handle of the screwdriver with BIG vise grip
go to home depot, get a MAPP torch (way hotter than propane)
heat each bolt until dull red, this will break the seal of the loc tite, and with the tap and die handle attached to the flathead jam it into each bolt and turn slowly while someone with hotmitts grips the hell out of the pulley to keep it from moving.

be careful and wear gloves as the pulley and bolt will be reaching over 500 degrees
i know the directions arent the best but im in class haha, il try to post later with links to the torch and tap and die handle tool thingy

*** oh and dont bother using screw extractors or bolt out or any of that crap, i broke about three seperate drill bits and screw extractors on this, use this method***

hope this helps
kevin

Last edited by SC07; 01-14-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the advice sounds like it'd work...but could you get pictures of the products you used? And maybe a mini walkthrough?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM

they have been advertising that one bolt out set on the infomercials
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 PM

ok hold on let me see...
this is the straight tap wrench, just go to sears and ask for one in the tool section, mines 8 or 10 inch. i think it was 15 bucks

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...dle+Tap+Wrench

this is the torch, these things are well worth it just to have around, way better than propane. mine was 45 bucks

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servle...TRIGGER/Detail

You said you took the blower off before so heres the steps i took.
KEEP IN MIND> the heat or dremel might wreck your S2 pulley!!

1. wrap all open ports of blower in saran wrap to prevent metal shavings from entering.
2. find a place (large vise, friend+table) to hold your blower still, and secure it..
3. use a dremel and a ceramic cut off wheel to grind a slot as deep as you can into the screw, you might have to cut into your pulley a bit
4. find a LARGE and STURDY flathead screwdriver, it needs to be as wide as the slot in the bolt...make sure it fits well
5. attach the straight tap wrech to the square metal part, right below the metal handle and tighten it down (should fit perfect.)
[]
[]
====
I
I
V

hah what the screwdriver should look like from the side
*ALT*
if you can find the straight tap wrench, you may be able to attach large vice grips to the plastic handle.

ok heres the fun part

6. if you have a temp gun, it may come in handy, if not heat one bolt for 10-15 sec with the MAPP torch--or until a very dull red.
(the thing doesnt have to be screaming red, this may damage things. the goal to get it hot enough to break our lovely red loctite.)
7. as fast as you can put the screwdriver into the slot, and push down.
8. has someone with work gloves and a towel grip the pulley and hold it as hard as they can (yes this thing will be hot as **** as well)
9. turn turn turn away, provided the bolts are hot enough, the screwdriver doesnt break and you dont strip the slot out, the bolts should slowely loosen.

walla there ya go.

i tried to make that as clear as possible so if you have any questions ask me.
oh and please, dont bother with drills and screw extractors, i have broken so many of those....bits and all
they suck

hope that helps
kevin