Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Put original head lights back on. Gauge lights no longer work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put original head lights back on. Gauge lights no longer work.

Can anyone think of any reason why my gauge lights would've stopped working after I put my original head lights back on? And, yes, I've checked the fuses. I had to kind of guess how the were supposed to be wired. They work like they're supposed to, although the blinkers now seem to flash at a higher frequency now.

Here's what was installed previously (by previous owner) in the photos:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Are your tail-lights and side marker lights working? I'm guessing you blew the clearance light fuse which is tied to the dash cluster lights. The headlight circuit is separate.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Okay thanks, I'll check that out as soon as I get a chance.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Are your tail-lights and side marker lights working? I'm guessing you blew the clearance light fuse which is tied to the dash cluster lights. The headlight circuit is separate.
Well, there was no clearance light fuse. So I just started checking them all systemically and the DRL fuse, Back up lights fuse and parking lights fuse was blown, lol. Replaced them but, still no gauge lights. So I don't know what to do now.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious James
Well, there was no clearance light fuse. So I just started checking them all systemically and the DRL fuse, Back up lights fuse and parking lights fuse was blown, lol. Replaced them but, still no gauge lights. So I don't know what to do now.
Are your tail lights working? Not brakes but night running clearance/parking lights. Check and see if your fuse blew again. You may still have a short.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Yep, my parking lights fuse keeps blowing. You sure it couldn't have anything to do my head lights being slightly mis-wired?

Last edited by Tenacious James; 09-05-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Also, I used these types of connectors to wire them back together:

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com...69PP611-f.jpeg
Old 09-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious James
Yep, my parking lights fuse keeps blowing. Your sure it couldn't have anything to do my head lights being slightly mis-wired?
It could for damn sure have something to do with your headlight assembly being miswired. More specifically it would appear at least one of the hot wires (driver or passenger side) that goes to your clearance/parking lamp bulb in the headlight assembly is shorting to ground or through something else. I don't know what to tell you about those adapters and if they are right or not. If could be the adapter is routed wrong or you have a wire pinched against the car body causing it to ground out. I would pull the headlight assembly and trace the wire to make sure it is routed right. Disconnect whatever is plugged in to the clearance/parking light connector and verify that your problem goes away which will indicate the issue is on the headlight harness end of the connector.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:49 PM

Here is how they are currently wired:

Old 09-05-2019, 03:15 PM

I'd recommend some proper shrink-tube type waterproof crimp connectors. That wiring looks pretty scetchy. Shouldn't need electrical tape on a crimp connector. Also I would never use wire nuts for automotive wiring. Just asking for a loose wire, corrosion, and a bad connection which can make it heat up and melt.

Wiring criticism aside maybe check the wire nut with 3 wires going into it. I can't tell the wire color in the picture but I would guess all the ground wires are black and there should be a shared ground between the headlight and turn signal/clearance light. I would use a multimeter or test light with 12V power supply to see what is what. The headlight assembly makes sense. There is a single ground with the orange and pink wire being individual power wires for high and low beams. The clearance light assembly with 5 wires is harder for me to guess what each is for. There should be at least a ground and an individual hot wire for both clearance and turn signal function. Not sure what the other two wires are for just looking at it. I don't think two separate wires would be connected together though like you have with the wire nut.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Okay, I feel like an idiot. I just realized I don't even have the center marker/clearance bulbs or the connectors for one. I tried to find a whole new wiring harness for them, but the only ones I can find say they're for the '05-'08 cobalt. But I think that might be incorrect.

Dorman 645-205 Pigtail Connector-Headlight
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
You can probably just get those headlamp wiring harnesses at a junk yard pretty cheap.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Well, I got some good news and some bad news. I got my wiring harnesses today, installed them, used the LEDs from the aftermarket lights for clearance lights. The good news is that my gauge lights are back on! The bad news, front blinkers don't work, they're just on all the time with the headlights! FML! Maybe these are incorrect for 09-10. The center clearance lights don't come on at all however. Oh, and the rear clearance lights are doing a weird blinky thing. Maybe the LEDs are bad. Thinking whomever did the shoddy job installing the aftermarket lights may have really
F'd things up.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Well, I checked them out again this morning. Now when I turn the blinkers on (either right or left) both my front blinkers flash. I'm starting to think there could be something wrong with my BCM. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tenacious James; 09-08-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Yeah, my blinkers are working like hazards, I'll lights flashing. I've checked all the fuses, they're fine. Gonna try getting rid of all the LEDs and put new regular bulbs in, see if that makes a difference. Wish me luck.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Yay! I finally have normal working headlights. In my ignorance I thought I could simply use the led turn signal and marker lights from the aftermarket ones. I have now learned that do not work with factory incandescent lamps.