Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

questions on our ignition coils..help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions on our ignition coils..help needed

first off some of you that read my other thread know that my car is puffing black smoke. sometimes more then others. well i got my buddy to scann it today. he scanned it 4 times or say and only once it came up as an engine misfire. i think its my ignition coils BUT theres no cel light.so here's my questions....

1.what would cause the misfire?
2.what would be needed to fix this problem?
3.could this cause the burnt plugs and the puff of smoke(black) when i rev or punch it?
4.could this be caused from an intake install?

anyone that likes to give advice and help to the more un-intelligent folks i would really appriciate some help.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 PM

did you take a look at your plugs? coils rarely go bad and if they do they usually set a code.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by calchr2
did you take a look at your plugs? coils rarely go bad and if they do they usually set a code.
yeah. the tips were white. so i replaced them, it worked good all day and then at night time they took a **** on me again..so i figured the coils were bad because i went throught 2 sets of spark plugs in a week.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM

if the tips are white then that usually means the engine is running on the lean side. are you running the correct temperature plugs? do you have any mods that arent said in your presents mods installed? how many miles on the car?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:17 PM

if the tips are white then that usually means the engine is running on the lean side. are you running the correct temperature plugs? do you have any mods that arent said in your presents mods installed? how many miles on the car?
plugs say lean..but black smoke says rich..which is where i'm confused..idk what temp. they are, i do know they're autolite platnums. only thing i have done engine wise is royal purple and intake. and theres a little over 6k miles on the car.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, which cylinders are misfiring???.......if a coil goes bad it won't set a code really for the coil itself.
If it started just after the intake install, double check everything you did. Make sure there is nothing blocking the air charge to the motor. There are quite a few things that could cause a misfire, and a few that will give you a rich condition.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:30 PM

that is true. are the plugs direct replacements for the stock plugs? if im not mistaken the gm tunes run rich down low and lean out up top. the intake isnt helping the engine run any more rich its only letting more air in. id say try a set of ngk brk7e's. i think that is the number for them. if you do a quick search on spark plugs you will be able to find the specific number for the plugs.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM

that is true. are the plugs direct replacements for the stock plugs? if im not mistaken the gm tunes run rich down low and lean out up top. the intake isnt helping the engine run any more rich its only letting more air in. id say try a set of ngk brk7e's. i think that is the number for them. if you do a quick search on spark plugs you will be able to find the specific number for the plugs.
i got the autolite platnums. so theres not exact replacement. but why would my cobalt do this and no one elses..i checked my MAF about 3 times already. its in correctly,not dirty,tight to the intake.

Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
well, which cylinders are misfiring???.......if a coil goes bad it won't set a code really for the coil itself.
If it started just after the intake install, double check everything you did. Make sure there is nothing blocking the air charge to the motor. There are quite a few things that could cause a misfire, and a few that will give you a rich condition.
it didnt say what cylinder it was. my buddy did it on his hptuner program. all it said was engine misfire. would you be willing to name the possible things that cause the misfire and it running rich?? like i'm trying to narrow it down but i need a checklist before anything.which is why i'm coming to you guys. you's would know more then me. the plugs are black around the threads and a little on the prongs but a ashy tip.

Last edited by srcobaltss; 04-06-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
dont run platinum plugs on the supercharged motor

stick with NGK, thats what belongs in there
1 step colder will help a bit too

brk7e
Old 04-06-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by JapEatr
dont run platinum plugs on the supercharged motor

stick with NGK, thats what belongs in there
1 step colder will help a bit too

brk7e
you think thats why its going through plugs??? and where could i pick these plugs up?? could my fuel level sensor cause the misfire and burnt plugs???

Last edited by srcobaltss; 04-06-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 PM

well, i checked the autolites..and there all fine, but the cars misfiring..so i cleaned off the stock ones and put them back in and..still misfiring..only this time i decide to smell the sweet smell of RP and it comes to my senses that theres a stong gasoline smell in there...ugh...help anyone??