Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Random Misfire + Other Codes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Misfire + Other Codes...

Hello, I just got a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C a couple of days ago. It has 73000 km.
I drove home from the city and didn't seem to have any issues other than squealing brakes, which may be the result of the car sitting for a long while over the winter. Shortly before I made it home my CEL came on but the car seemed to be working fine. Once I got home I borrowed a friend's code reader and four codes showed up:

P0103 Mass or Voume Airflow Circuit - High Input
P0128 Coolant Thermostat Coolant temp below thermostat regulating temperature
P0300 Random Misfire detected
P0833 Clutch Pedal Switch B Circuit

I tried clearing the codes but they would not go away and the CEL remained on. I have been told (although not by cobalt owners or experts, just guys trying to help out) that the Airflow Circuit code could be a result of the exhaust. I am pretty sure the Clutch Pedal switch is what is causing my cruise control to not work and from what I've read on here is a cheap part but awkward to replace. Anyways, right now my main concern is the Random Misfire code and getting the engine running smoothly.

I took the car for a short drive around the block this morning and it has started making a sputtering noise. When I pop the hood the engine sounds like its running fine (to the best of my knowledge) but the exhaust is what's making the strange noise. The car has a Magnaflow muffler. The car is not driveable IMO. I feel like it would cause a lot of damage by the sound of it.

Thanks for any help you can give. I have researched on here about random misfires and found it seems to be a common issue but with a lot of different outcomes.