Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

still having idle issues....suggestions?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still having idle issues....suggestions?

Hey everyone, first let me say I have been researching this for about a week now.

I have an 06 SS/SC with full stage 3 from ZZP currently running a 2.7 pulley (probably go back up to a 2.8 soon)

I jsut recently purchased the car and it had an idle issue. when first starting up car idles perfect for the most part. after warming up, wideband starts going crazy and idle gets very rough. I have already replaced MAF sensor and put a brand new TB on. Neither of these changed the idle issue.

While cruising the car is pretty good, under WOT air fuels are typically between 11.2 and 11.5 or so. but as soon as i let off the gas its almost like it chokes i guess i could say...kinda hard to explain.

Am getting a code one for system running rich (bank 1) does anyone think a bad o2 sensor could cause this type of issue? Any other suggestions would be awesome. Couldnt find any vacuum leaks so i am just about out of ideas right now and would like to figure this out myself before i take it to my local shop and have them dive into it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and hopefully i provided enough details but let me know if ya need anything else.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only guess could be the tune since you bought it with it. Try getting a retune, I'd be surprised if that doesn't solve the problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Does it go lean or rich or all over the place?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Does it go lean or rich or all over the place?

first starting the car, it reads at like steady 10.0 so its pretty rich (which i can smell) after warm up wideband just steady jumps from like 12.0 to 16. maxing the wideband out at both sides pretty rich. even when im cruising, ill hold the rpm's steady and air fuels still bounce between 13 and 15. as soo as i left off the gas it goes right back to bouncing all over the place. I have a video on my phone of a warmed up idle, ill see if i can get it posted.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
My only guess could be the tune since you bought it with it. Try getting a retune, I'd be surprised if that doesn't solve the problem.

yeah supposedly the tune is by back yard turbos? previous owner said he had it tuned a couple times but i def wouldnt mind getting someone to take a look at the tune and getting it redone. With that being said, do i order a general tune from ZZP or what? I dont know of anyone close to me that does tuning i could meet up with.

Any local Tuners out there near zip 08070?!?!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Buy hptuners and have someone tune you through email
Old 06-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Buy hptuners and have someone tune you through email

well heres my question with that. HP Tuners is what like 4-500 bucks?
the tune from ZZP is like 160 or something. can i really get that much better of a tune from someone through email with HP then i can from ZZP? like neither of them would actually be able to see the car or get live data from the car, correct?

Dont know much about actual tuning when it comes to cars so i legit dont know how much of a difference it would make so this is just a serious statement, not me trying to be a smart ass or a cheapskate or anything lol. appreciate the feedback though!

Oh and def dont wanna drop like 4-500 bucks for HP if the tune isnt the problem! lolll that would suck
Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM

HP tuners you'd log send the tune via email to your tuner who'd modify it and send it pack until it's perfected. So they don't get live data but a sample of you driving that they see, I don't believe ZZP can even see that.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:51 PM

HP tuners you'd log send the tune via email to your tuner who'd modify it and send it pack until it's perfected. So they don't get live data but a sample of you driving that they see, I don't believe ZZP can even see that.

gotya. guess that makes sense. With the HP Tuners, do i just need the standard one or do i need the pro version? I would assume just the standard. Also, I'm just a little confused as to what it means where it states you get 8 credits. What exactly are the credits and how do they work?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:59 PM

Unfortunately since you're an LSJ you don't have a built in wideband, although you have a gauge for that you can't see that with HP tuners but HP tuners Pro allows you to add signals such as one from a wideband or EGT. I ended up getting HP tuner Pro for $375 so just look around eBay and what not they pop up for decent prices. The Credits are a way of unlocking a car, you're not just allowed to tune unlimited vehicles or HP tuners wouldn't make much money so they added credits where they can continue making money because it takes credits to unlock cars.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Unfortunately since you're an LSJ you don't have a built in wideband, although you have a gauge for that you can't see that with HP tuners but HP tuners Pro allows you to add signals such as one from a wideband or EGT. I ended up getting HP tuner Pro for $375 so just look around eBay and what not they pop up for decent prices. The Credits are a way of unlocking a car, you're not just allowed to tune unlimited vehicles or HP tuners wouldn't make much money so they added credits where they can continue making money because it takes credits to unlock cars.

ahhh okay, thanks for the breakdown...makes a lot more sense now. Now i guess ill just have to shop around for an HP pro kit and thennnn find someone who knows their s**t so i can get a solid tune on the car. Def a Pain in the ass having to do all this for an idle issue but even when something is the slightest bit off it just bothers me so i guess its gotta be done.

So in anyones opinion, should I replace the o2 sensor since im getting that p0172 code? orrrr could i be getting that code because the tune is all whacky and the cars getting to much fuel with the 60#'ers? car also has a gutted DP right now so ill be looking into getting a catted one in the next week or so...cars a bit too loud for my liking right now
Old 06-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Do you know if it still has the rear O2 sensor or not?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Do you know if it still has the rear O2 sensor or not?

Yes, it has the o2 in the header, o2 before the cat for the wideband and still has the o2 after the cat as well.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM

My question to you is what CAI are you running? I have fought this issue for a very long time and I found that it was my CAI due to bad placement of my MAF sensor on my Injen intake. It's common on others as well, zzp has a cai that they found to work and not have that bad, bouncy idle. I went back to my factory intake, and did an airbox mod and I have not had an issue with it since. I'd almost bet that's your problem..
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 PM

+1 for the shitty tune. Even a canned tune from ZZP sounds better than what you have now. I wouldn't go WOT until you get that fixed
Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MrSlickSter06SS
My question to you is what CAI are you running? I have fought this issue for a very long time and I found that it was my CAI due to bad placement of my MAF sensor on my Injen intake. It's common on others as well, zzp has a cai that they found to work and not have that bad, bouncy idle. I went back to my factory intake, and did an airbox mod and I have not had an issue with it since. I'd almost bet that's your problem..

hmmm, very interesting to hear. I did read up that people had issues with aftermarket intakes but i would have assumed previous owner would of had the tune make up for the new intake. I am currently running an Injen intake as well.

ZZP intake is currently out of stock and i did not get the stock air box with the car. I'll have to look into alternatives for that i guess
Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by UltraSilverSS
+1 for the shitty tune. Even a canned tune from ZZP sounds better than what you have now. I wouldn't go WOT until you get that fixed

Yeah i agree. I try not to get on it too much as i sit right now. not really worth the potential risks until i know the car is tuned and running a bit more sound. For all i know, the dealership (not a chevy dealer) i got the car from could have flashed the PCM or something to get rid of an engine light before i bought it not knowing the car was tuned for specific modifications. Any ideas on what a stock tune with 60# injectors and other mods would do? Could possibly be whats going on with the car? I would think the car would barely run though.