Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Transmission Shuttering on 2005 Cobalt. Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shuttering on 2005 Cobalt. Please Help!!!!

Hello to anyone that can help me get my transmission fixed on my 2005 chevy cobalt. My transmission has a shutter that I can not get rid of. This has been on going for a year now and I have had my car in and out of the shop about 4 or 5 times for this problem.

I have had several services performed. I have had the transmission flushed of the fluid and new fluid added, the dealer has reflashed my computer and I have had the throttle body replaced but nothing has worked. I took my mechanic for a test ride awhile ago and the is how we replaced the throttle body and I thought that would of fixed the problem, but it didn't.

Also my car has seemed to have lost it's pick-up from this problem. It is hard to go from a complete stop to start again going up a hill or anything that has an incline. This shuttering problem happens when my engine is warm and has been driven for a little while. The way i get it to happen is I apply my foot to the gas pedal very lightly and it will start to shutter and then slam into first gear. What it feels like is the wheels are moving, but the car itself is not ready to drive just yet. The RPM's go up, but the car does not go.

I have had this problem for a long time and I need transmission help from anyone that has any kind of experience with this. If there is someone out there that has had this problem before and got it fixed, please let me know what they did so I can tell my mechanic so it gives us something else to look into. Any suggestions of what to do at this point would be appreciated, but I think I am at the point where it is something internal in the transmission that needs to be fixed. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your RPM goes up without the car accelerating it could be the clutch slipping. This makes sense because it happens at an incline (more strain on the clutch when it is engaged) and when the car has been driven (clutch is hot from repeated use). Another thing to try is to accelerate hard in different gears when already going about 40-50 mph and seeing if the RPM goes up without the car accelerating.

I could not tell from your post if you have an automatic or a manual transmission, so if it's an automatic disregard this post.