Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Where to buy quick disconnect tool for pcv line?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Where to buy quick disconnect tool for pcv line?

Anyone know where to buy a quick disconnect tool that will work on the pcv line going from the valve cover to the turbo? I've come across fuel line disconnects but they look too big.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Nothing will work there. I mangled the clip inside but bent it back and it works fine.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by exninja
Nothing will work there. I mangled the clip inside but bent it back and it works fine.
And you've tried other fuel/oil disconnect tools? I have a catch can I want to put on but don't really want to cut the line ffs lol
Old 01-29-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
You can make use of zip ties. But if you have a catch can it's gonna gonna do anything for a LNF. The oil is more of a mist which most catch cans don't help with at all.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:28 AM

I tried the ziptie thing for like an hour, with the engine out of the car. I couldn't get it to work. Then I just pulled it off which mangled the clip inside. I saw how the clip worked, then bent it back with a 90° pick.

I am unaware of a tool thin enough to fit. It's actually kinda impossible. It has to be skinny enough to fit within the bend of the pipe, yet long enough to engage the clip.

You (dude420) have already heard everyone's opinion on catchcans, so you do you.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:56 PM

I know I've heard everyone's opinion lol. But I have a catch can sitting here and I'd just like to try it out for myself rather than it just collecting dust.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by cobaltssdude420
I know I've heard everyone's opinion lol. But I have a catch can sitting here and I'd just like to try it out for myself rather than it just collecting dust.
why would u do the work which is a pain in the ass for something you have heard over and over again that doesn't work? One of those people who wants to see for yourself and ignore all the advice of people who have tried a million different catch cans? I myself tried 3 different ones. including one filled with steal wool. nothing worked. if u want something that should work, besides powells, buy one with a filter inside. where air has to go through said filter. the oil should get trapped.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by tomj77
why would u do the work which is a pain in the ass for something you have heard over and over again that doesn't work? One of those people who wants to see for yourself and ignore all the advice of people who have tried a million different catch cans? I myself tried 3 different ones. including one filled with steal wool. nothing worked. if u want something that should work, besides powells, buy one with a filter inside. where air has to go through said filter. the oil should get trapped.
The pain in the ass is the pcv line at the turbo but that's about it. Other than that, it wouldn't take too long to hook up. How did you manage to try 3 different catch cans and finally conclude that neither of them worked?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
The pain in the ass is the pcv line at the turbo but that's about it. Other than that, it wouldn't take too long to hook up. How did you manage to try 3 different catch cans and finally conclude that neither of them worked?
They didn't collect anything...
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 AM

With what I've read on here, one of two things happens with catch cans:
1. They don't collect anything, or
2. They screw up the pressures and collect WAY too much.

That's why Powell's is a separator and has a return to the dipstick tube.

The LNF PCV is not mechanical. It functions on orifices and baffles, which is tricky in a boosted engine. It is very easy to create bad pressure deltas and screw it up. I haven't put one on mine, but I'd be willing to use Powell's latest version that plugs into the IM. I just don't think the cost justifies it in my case. I'm willing to clean my valves every so often.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
With what I've read on here, one of two things happens with catch cans:
1. They don't collect anything, or
2. They screw up the pressures and collect WAY too much.

That's why Powell's is a separator and has a return to the dipstick tube.

The LNF PCV is not mechanical. It functions on orifices and baffles, which is tricky in a boosted engine. It is very easy to create bad pressure deltas and screw it up. I haven't put one on mine, but I'd be willing to use Powell's latest version that plugs into the IM. I just don't think the cost justifies it in my case. I'm willing to clean my valves every so often.
Yeah, I hear you on that. I've done my valves 3 times now. Everything discussed here is probably the reason why there's no reviews on OTTP for the catch can, no instructions for it, and no pictures of any installed on their site. I also had to pry the information out of them about where it goes and they still didn't give a straight answer. I should just return the damn thing lol.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
The turbo one is easy, remove 10mm bolt and pull off. The. Remove line from fitting.

Because I didnt like the ones I had and I experimented to see what would work. The 4th one, Powell seperator worked.