Where to buy quick disconnect tool for pcv line? - Cobalt SS Network



Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-01-15
Location: canada
Posts: 555
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Where to buy quick disconnect tool for pcv line?

Anyone know where to buy a quick disconnect tool that will work on the pcv line going from the valve cover to the turbo? I've come across fuel line disconnects but they look too big.
cobaltssdude420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 108 Times in 98 Posts
Nothing will work there. I mangled the clip inside but bent it back and it works fine.
exninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-01-15
Location: canada
Posts: 555
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exninja
Nothing will work there. I mangled the clip inside but bent it back and it works fine.
And you've tried other fuel/oil disconnect tools? I have a catch can I want to put on but don't really want to cut the line ffs lol
cobaltssdude420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Premium Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 19,591
Thanked 300 Times in 262 Posts
You can make use of zip ties. But if you have a catch can it's gonna gonna do anything for a LNF. The oil is more of a mist which most catch cans don't help with at all.
ECaulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 108 Times in 98 Posts
I tried the ziptie thing for like an hour, with the engine out of the car. I couldn't get it to work. Then I just pulled it off which mangled the clip inside. I saw how the clip worked, then bent it back with a 90° pick.

I am unaware of a tool thin enough to fit. It's actually kinda impossible. It has to be skinny enough to fit within the bend of the pipe, yet long enough to engage the clip.

You (dude420) have already heard everyone's opinion on catchcans, so you do you.
exninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-01-15
Location: canada
Posts: 555
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I know I've heard everyone's opinion lol. But I have a catch can sitting here and I'd just like to try it out for myself rather than it just collecting dust.
cobaltssdude420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,567
Thanked 94 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltssdude420 View Post
I know I've heard everyone's opinion lol. But I have a catch can sitting here and I'd just like to try it out for myself rather than it just collecting dust.
why would u do the work which is a pain in the ass for something you have heard over and over again that doesn't work? One of those people who wants to see for yourself and ignore all the advice of people who have tried a million different catch cans? I myself tried 3 different ones. including one filled with steal wool. nothing worked. if u want something that should work, besides powells, buy one with a filter inside. where air has to go through said filter. the oil should get trapped.
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-01-15
Location: canada
Posts: 555
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj77
why would u do the work which is a pain in the ass for something you have heard over and over again that doesn't work? One of those people who wants to see for yourself and ignore all the advice of people who have tried a million different catch cans? I myself tried 3 different ones. including one filled with steal wool. nothing worked. if u want something that should work, besides powells, buy one with a filter inside. where air has to go through said filter. the oil should get trapped.
The pain in the ass is the pcv line at the turbo but that's about it. Other than that, it wouldn't take too long to hook up. How did you manage to try 3 different catch cans and finally conclude that neither of them worked?
cobaltssdude420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Premium Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 19,591
Thanked 300 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltssdude420 View Post
The pain in the ass is the pcv line at the turbo but that's about it. Other than that, it wouldn't take too long to hook up. How did you manage to try 3 different catch cans and finally conclude that neither of them worked?
They didn't collect anything...
ECaulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,092
Thanked 108 Times in 98 Posts
With what I've read on here, one of two things happens with catch cans:
1. They don't collect anything, or
2. They screw up the pressures and collect WAY too much.

That's why Powell's is a separator and has a return to the dipstick tube.

The LNF PCV is not mechanical. It functions on orifices and baffles, which is tricky in a boosted engine. It is very easy to create bad pressure deltas and screw it up. I haven't put one on mine, but I'd be willing to use Powell's latest version that plugs into the IM. I just don't think the cost justifies it in my case. I'm willing to clean my valves every so often.
exninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-01-15
Location: canada
Posts: 555
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exninja
With what I've read on here, one of two things happens with catch cans:
1. They don't collect anything, or
2. They screw up the pressures and collect WAY too much.

That's why Powell's is a separator and has a return to the dipstick tube.

The LNF PCV is not mechanical. It functions on orifices and baffles, which is tricky in a boosted engine. It is very easy to create bad pressure deltas and screw it up. I haven't put one on mine, but I'd be willing to use Powell's latest version that plugs into the IM. I just don't think the cost justifies it in my case. I'm willing to clean my valves every so often.
Yeah, I hear you on that. I've done my valves 3 times now. Everything discussed here is probably the reason why there's no reviews on OTTP for the catch can, no instructions for it, and no pictures of any installed on their site. I also had to pry the information out of them about where it goes and they still didn't give a straight answer. I should just return the damn thing lol.
cobaltssdude420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Super Moderator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,567
Thanked 94 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltssdude420 View Post
The pain in the ass is the pcv line at the turbo but that's about it. Other than that, it wouldn't take too long to hook up. How did you manage to try 3 different catch cans and finally conclude that neither of them worked?
The turbo one is easy, remove 10mm bolt and pull off. The. Remove line from fitting.

Because I didnt like the ones I had and I experimented to see what would work. The 4th one, Powell seperator worked.
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Line Disconnect Help D4u2s0t 2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 12 02-18-2011 08:56 AM
valve cover pcv removal tool. xodus 08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion 3 11-14-2010 12:20 PM
BOV Vacuum line disconnect? Can i relocate it? Black08SSTC 2.0L LNF Performance Tech 8 01-10-2009 05:57 PM
Fuel Line Disconnect Help D4u2s0t 2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 0 08-02-2007 01:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.