Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

White/Yellow Slimmey oil in Catch Can ...Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White/Yellow Slimmey oil in Catch Can ...Help!!!

I have popped my dipstick out under acceleration twice in the past 2 weeks, causing oil to blow all over the engine compartment of my car. I am aware that there is a improved design on the Cobalt SS/SC intake manifold gasket with a better sealing area that in most cases causes the high crankcase pressure to not blow the dipstick out.

I also checked and my homemade oil catch can was plugged with a ton of white/yellowish colored oil. I figured becuase the catch can was plugged with this slimmey white oil that the crankcase pressure had no where to go but out the dipstick hole causing the problem. However since drianing and cleaning the catch can, it still is creating quite a bit of buildup of the same slimmey oil in my catch can. I am drianing it out a few times per week. I know that the cause of white colored oil is becuase there is air in the oil. I just am unsure where it is coming from.

I was told to check the compression on each cyclinder, which I did, all the cylinders seemed to range from 150psi-170psi. I am not sure if there is just a ton of this slimy white oil still in the pcv system and I just need to let it work its way out???

I am looking for ideas on what could be causing the problem??
Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

isn't milky white oil a sign of a water/coolant issue ?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:15 PM

i think so, car seems to work ok, could this be a sign of a leaking or blown head gasket?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Thats whay ive alway thought. Are you using any coolant? I've seen compression test run up around 180 to 200 psi on these motor's so it looks like your down on compression . Might be the meth getting by the rings maybe? Just guessing here.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
Thats whay ive alway thought. Are you using any coolant? I've seen compression test run up around 180 to 200 psi on these motor's so it looks like your down on compression . Might be the meth getting by the rings maybe? Just guessing here.
Up to 1 week ago, I had run water and water wetter in my C/A heat exchanger, there were a few nights that it dipped below zero, could the water in my intercooler system have cracked something, causing water to get into the oil? I changed it back to dexcool last week in the intercooler system

Or is it most likely a headgasket, blown ring, or lifted head in your opinion
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM

if the oil in the crankcase intself is not this color then no concern on that aspect, oil will always change color once it touches water or the sort. could be high crankcase pressure, so check into the breathing system of the crankcase.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cougarguy
if the oil in the crankcase intself is not this color then no concern on that aspect, oil will always change color once it touches water or the sort. could be high crankcase pressure, so check into the breathing system of the crankcase.
My dipstick does not seem to have any milky oil on it, I will check my pcv system more, but its filling up like every 2 days, the can isnt very big....doent seem right as I drove the car for like 6 months and it hardly had any oil in the catch can .....now all of a sudden its milky yellow/white color evry 2 days filling up...not sure where it is coming into contact with the water or coolant to cause this? could this be from condensation?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Not to get you worried, but blowing out your dipstick twice, and the white yellowish colored oil you describe leads me to think your rings might be shot. Check your compression. Are you having any other oil leaks. Extra crankcase pressure will start causing leaks all around the engine. This happened with my other car, it was a 8 cylinder but my dipstick blew out that one too and leaks started all over. Turned out the piston had broken lands.

Hope you get it figured out.