Recalls Chevy Cobalt recall information center

Semi-recall 07 ss/sc's (failure of the catalytic converter)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya they inspect all parts covered under the recall only if the conditions for the recall are demonstrated. worked for gm for 4.5 years.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got one as well but i went after market then gutted
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM

ok so i got the letter too...my car sounded like complete crap because its an 05 balt ss (no need for further explanation..supercharged cars have nasty exhaust notes in my opinion)..it got way worse when my cat blew out completely...but me being the kind of fun loving d-bag that i am i just left it the way it was and slapped on a really crappy muffler, thinking it would be fun for a little bit.

will gm still replace my cat with a rattle can on..or do i have to get my stock muffler put back on??

let me know asap
thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 PM

you shouldn't have any issue as a cat back has no effect on your cat clogging.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 AM

thanks bro
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

no problem. just think of it this way.

when you have a fan pushing air straight forward and you put your hand in the line of air. only the air past your hand will be effected, nothing infront of it will be effected. hope that helps clear it up a bit more.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM

I got my letter a while back...I'm noticing a slight rattle at certain RPMs depending on throttle position and wonder if the catalyst is loose...of course it could also be a heat shield...too cold out right now to climb under the car
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM

nahh it is the cat...I thought the same thing until it got worse. Then it sounded like broken gears...no good. I was scared pissless until I had it checked out. It was the cat falling appart and bouncing around.

Fun!

btw i got my letter a few months back
Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM

I went to tje dealer amd they said there's a bac order for the cat, was anyone else told that ?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Njv8813
I went to tje dealer amd they said there's a bac order for the cat, was anyone else told that ?
i wouldn't be surprised
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by eurochevy
So Got home today with a little letter from GM canada stating=
(tried to get my scanner to work so i'm just gonna type it out)

Dear ..........:

As the owner of a 2007 model year chevrolet cobalt, equipped with a 2.0L 4-cylinder supercharged engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007 model year chevrolet cobalt vehicles, equipped with a 2.0L 4-cylinder supercharged engine, may have a condition where the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates, and/or there is a lack of engine power. This may be caused by failure of the catalytic converter.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

GM is providing owners with addition protection for the catalytic converter. If this condition occurs on your 2007 model year Chevrolet Cobalt, equipped with a 2.0L 4-cylinder supercharged engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was orinally placed in service or 193,000km, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a GM dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glovebox literature for future reference.

If you have already paid to have this special coverage condition corrected and you have not received reimbursement under a Vehicle Service Contract, you should contact your dealer as you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. Please provide your dealer with your original paid receipts or invoices verifying the repair, the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of payment of those charges, and proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair. Reimbursement will be limited to the amout the repair would have cost if completed by an authorized GM dealer. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned above, must be received by your dealer before january 31, 2011.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer support Department
General Motors of Canada Limited

Cat Recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i get the cat recall letter in the mail. I have noticed a decrease in power, but no cel. So i take it into the langley dealership to get checked out. The shop forman doesnt take it for a test drive, doesn't even turn it on. Just hooks his obd 2 to the car and says, "well no codes , then says unless you have codes i can't do anything for you, thats gm's policy". I said what do you mean, it says cel on or loss of power. He just says " well you have emissions warrenty till 130,000, so i wouldn't worry about it". So i leave. 3 weeks later now. My cat is rattling and i have an exhaust leak which sounds likes its coming for around the cat. But i could be wrong.

I take it in to the dealership in abbotsford. I asked them is it covered under warrenty. The advisor says it has to be checked out. So they check out my car, then decide its the cat and then he says well the insides of your cat is broken, but because your dont have a check engine like and your emissions are fine, were not going to warrenty it.( I didn't say anything about the cat recall cause i thought they'd aready no about, and after they said that they weren't going to do anything about it i just got mad and forgot). I said i don't think so my cat is broken and its under warrenty, hes says to call gm customer care so i do. They asked all my info then talks to the advisor and the manager. After that the gm customer care guy tells me he will talk to the regional manager or i think he said dcm?. So now back to the advisor. He says so you owe $40. I said excuse me, he says ya for the diagnostic, i said i knew what the probem was. I am not paying for it. He went and talked to another manager and i ended up not having to paying for it. Well having it checked out and after the advisor keeps saying "i don't even know if they'd warrenty it since it have a different muffler". All i have done is cut out my res and have a magnaflow muffler. I told him it wouldn't matter it's behind the cat.

Today april 15, I get a call back for the customer care guy. He says that they will do a back pressure test on my car. So basicly if its fine they won't replace the cat, if it's not they will, which is bs. Finaly i remeber to tell him about the recall letter, which i thought they would already know about it. But apparently they don't , not even the dealership. I go telling him about that, he finds it then tells me he will get back to me tomorrow on the 16th. so i have not taken it for a back pressure test yet, just waiting for his next phone call.

Any suggestions, Im like not even a month over my bumper to bumper. So thats why they won't cover it.

Thanks, Brad
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by caddiondubs
Cat Recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i get the cat recall letter in the mail. I have noticed a decrease in power, but no cel. So i take it into the langley dealership to get checked out. The shop forman doesnt take it for a test drive, doesn't even turn it on. Just hooks his obd 2 to the car and says, "well no codes , then says unless you have codes i can't do anything for you, thats gm's policy". I said what do you mean, it says cel on or loss of power. He just says " well you have emissions warrenty till 130,000, so i wouldn't worry about it". So i leave. 3 weeks later now. My cat is rattling and i have an exhaust leak which sounds likes its coming for around the cat. But i could be wrong.

I take it in to the dealership in abbotsford. I asked them is it covered under warrenty. The advisor says it has to be checked out. So they check out my car, then decide its the cat and then he says well the insides of your cat is broken, but because your dont have a check engine like and your emissions are fine, were not going to warrenty it.( I didn't say anything about the cat recall cause i thought they'd aready no about, and after they said that they weren't going to do anything about it i just got mad and forgot). I said i don't think so my cat is broken and its under warrenty, hes says to call gm customer care so i do. They asked all my info then talks to the advisor and the manager. After that the gm customer care guy tells me he will talk to the regional manager or i think he said dcm?. So now back to the advisor. He says so you owe $40. I said excuse me, he says ya for the diagnostic, i said i knew what the probem was. I am not paying for it. He went and talked to another manager and i ended up not having to paying for it. Well having it checked out and after the advisor keeps saying "i don't even know if they'd warrenty it since it have a different muffler". All i have done is cut out my res and have a magnaflow muffler. I told him it wouldn't matter it's behind the cat.

Today april 15, I get a call back for the customer care guy. He says that they will do a back pressure test on my car. So basicly if its fine they won't replace the cat, if it's not they will, which is bs. Finaly i remeber to tell him about the recall letter, which i thought they would already know about it. But apparently they don't , not even the dealership. I go telling him about that, he finds it then tells me he will get back to me tomorrow on the 16th. so i have not taken it for a back pressure test yet, just waiting for his next phone call.

Any suggestions, Im like not even a month over my bumper to bumper. So thats why they won't cover it.

Thanks, Brad
That's a bunch of bullshit man .... If your cat is damaged the downpipe should be replace no questions asked !! It doesnt matter if the indicator light is on or not. A damaged downpipe is a damaged downpipe.

I haven't had a problem yet (keeping fingers crossed) with my cat/downpipe, but I run GM Stage 3. It runs leaner than good ol' GM Stage 2
Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM

i took my car in for a leaking line from the fuel pump (which is stupid cuz that line is "connected to the pump and comes in one piece") and luckily it was covered in the 60,000 powertrain warranty and they told me oh were going to replace ur cat too since its on recall... i just got away with about 800 bucks worth of parts and labor by about 3000 miles
Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM

what cat? lol mine was pretty much toast when i cut it off....
Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 PM

If a CEL is on, that means there is a code thrown, does anyone know what code that would be. I have had the p0172 code all summer- System too rich. I brought the car to the dealer but they blamed by intake for 85$.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:41 AM

re :magnaflow catalytic converter

My bro owned the pacesetter system, Im trying to fin out if the bosal converter will fit it.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
Psh I've been catless since shortly after owning the car. Wouldn't go back either
Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 AM

re : Catalytic Converter

My bro destroyed the borla system, Im trying to fin out if the OEM cat converter could be a bolt on install.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caddiondubs
Cat Recall

Thanks, Brad
Hate to bring an old thread back to life but I am about to take my car in Thursday for the same exact problem on a 2007 SS/SC. The cat rattles like crazy and at high RPM the car will hesitate and studder but no CEL is on. Any advice, did you find any documentation to show the dealership to get it replaced? Thanks.

Does anyone have a copy of the internal GM memo stating the CEL has to be on?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine replaced but I had a CEL I kept clearing it but when I decided to take it in I let the light come on and checked to make sure it was the cat code and took it in and I told them its throwing a cat code and handed the letter but they still insisted they had to make sure it was that to warrenty it. Sure enough they called me saying it was a cat code and they would replace it. I'm assuming they want to see a CEL before they do any work.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM

sorry to bring this from the dead, but was this an offical recall? my CEL came on friday, and the car is a tad bit more sluggish and burns more gas, but i went to 2 different dealers and they know nothing of this recall
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dxdean3
sorry to bring this from the dead, but was this an offical recall? my CEL came on friday, and the car is a tad bit more sluggish and burns more gas, but i went to 2 different dealers and they know nothing of this recall
This is not an official recall per say but an extended warranty for the cat. Found this through google search. Show the dealer the document ID.

Service Information
Document ID: 2382008

#08020: Special Coverage Adjustment - Extended Catalytic Converter Warranty Coverage - (Jan 13, 2010)

Subject: 08020 - SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - EXTENDED CATALYTIC CONVERTER WARRANTY COVERAGE

Models: 2004-2007 SATURN ION RED LINE

2005-2007 CHEVROLET COBALT SS

EQUIPPED WITH 2.0L 4-CYLINDER (RPO LSJ) ENGINE

Condition
Some customers of 2004-07 model year Saturn ION Red Line; and 2005-07 model year Chevrolet Cobalt SS vehicles, equipped with 2.0L 4-cylinder (RPO LSJ) engine, may comment on illumination of the malfunction indicator lamp (MAL) and/or lack of engine power. This may be caused by failure of the catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers/retailers are to replace the catalytic converter. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Customers should not be charged for performing a system check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the customer complaint. Labor code T5725 is provided to submit claims for such system checks. Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the catalytic converter are NOT covered by this special coverage. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered by the new vehicle warranty will not be covered by this policy.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after January 14, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to January 14, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2004-07 model year Saturn ION and 2005-07 model year Chevrolet Cobalt SS vehicles, equipped with 2.0L 4-cylinder (RPO LSJ) engine, and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Cobalt SS

Chevrolet
Cobalt SS

Chevrolet
Cobalt SS

Saturn
ION Red Line
4Z185538
4Z232057

Saturn
ION Red Line
5Z100038
5Z181820

Saturn
ION Red Line
6Z100021
6Z204142

Saturn
ION Red Line
7Z100001
7Z140513
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM

I just had my check engine light come on a few days ago, and it is because of the cat. I guess I'll print out this last post and bring it to the dealer. I've been putting off going for my power steering for a few months now, but I guess I should go now that there are 2 recall issues.

Does anyone know any good chevy dealers anywhere near bergen county, nj that won't give me a hard time? I've had some bad experiences, and try to avoid the dealers at all costs now.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 AM

I am a parts manager for a gm dealership. i am getting ready to have this same recall done. do not let them tell you there is no such thing. they are just being dicks to us and dont want to do the recall because we have "aftermarket" parts in it. A failed cat is a failed cat. the recall number is 08020. give them that number and they should be able to find it unless they are stupid.

here to help.
cody