Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

1st time-need some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1st time-need some pointers

Hello
I have a 09 black cobalt ss/tc (i no black is hard to keep clean) and iv been noticing some little scatches nothing major but i would like to get rid of them and also shine it up a bit. i have never buffed or waxed a car before so any ideas on the best products and some steps on "how to" would be awesome my dad does have an electric buffer still in the box i don't know why he bought it but if it will make things easier i can steal it from him haha thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 AM

ok first dont touch the buffer unless u kno wat ur doing. second i would recommend mcguires(sp) scratch-x for the scratches. if u can feel them with ur finger they're not coming out. for a wax i would use mcguires nxt tech wax 2.0. u can get either from any local hardware store, prolly around 7 or 8 bucks. also get a pack of 3 or more wax pads, u use these to apply it.

steps on how-to:

1.clean car THOROUGHLY. any dirt particles not removed will rub into the clear coat. i usually wash with a microfiber sponge twice. dont use the same sponge on the paint as u do the wheels or muffler tip for obvious reasons. dry car very well, because any water will cause the wax to not be applied properly. especially look out for cracks cuz water will hide in there.

2.apply scratch-x. put about a dime to quarter size amount onto the wax pad, and apply in circular motions about 6-8 inches in diameter. and make sure u rub it in good. yes ur arm will burn after a lil bit, lol. wait about 10 or 15 mins for the compound to dry, and then use a microfiber towel to wipe it off, it should wipe clean.

3. repeat the last step with the tech wax. same size amount used and make same motions. wait 15 mins a car will come out with a mirror finish.

thats my car in the sig after 75k miles, paint still looks pretty good if i say so myself, lol

Last edited by bsbllscnd970; 10-28-2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Many detailing car care tips on this site:
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Originally Posted by DangerZone
Hello
I have a 09 black cobalt ss/tc (i no black is hard to keep clean) and iv been noticing some little scatches nothing major but i would like to get rid of them and also shine it up a bit. i have never buffed or waxed a car before so any ideas on the best products and some steps on "how to" would be awesome my dad does have an electric buffer still in the box i don't know why he bought it but if it will make things easier i can steal it from him haha thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 AM

hey

give it the normal wash, then dry it all off. then what i like to do use is claybar the whole car. Turtle wax makes a clay bar kit called ice. That takes forever and a day, but it makes the clear coat nice and smooth, and removes alot of dirt you cant see, and your car will love you for it lol. Then you can use a swirl x from meguiars, or the scratch x as previously stated. The swirl x helps with swirls in the paint obviously lol. Then i just use the turtle wax super hard wax. It comes with the applicator, and made my car shine pretty darn good. When i was all said and done, i worked on it for about 4 and a half hours and i was pretty pleased. The car was as smooth as a babies bottom.