Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Another amature waxing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another amature waxing question

I wash and wax my car once every month or so
I've notice more and more swirlmarks over the years (bought in April 05)

I wanna get a real nice coat of wax on before winter.
BJ's has a cheap orbital buffer for $16, can I use this to put the wax on?
I hate rubbing the wax on, and having to rub it hard with 3 different towels to get it off

any suggestions?

and oh yea, some good wax would be nice
I've tried collinite, synthetic, turtle wax, ICE...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 AM

nobody?
i tried searching, but I didn't see anything about the buffer
Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM

My friend used a buffer with a microfiber towel on it for waxing. From what I gather it will work good if you know how to use it but you can really screw your paint up if you don't. It's starting to get a little chilly in upstate NY for anyone to be washing, waxing cars. I just did mine before I put it up for the winter and come spring it will get another wash, claybar and wax.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned

there is/was a current thread about this
Old 10-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by brickerenator
there is/was a current thread about this
can you point me in the direction?
i can't seem to find it
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/hatrickstus-detailing-how-116717/
Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM

to answer your direct question....unless you buy a PC7424 or other high-end buffer it isnt worth it....but those swirls are from improper washing or waxing on your end....

and a good wax is Poorboys World EX Sealant or Turbowax CarWax....

but will last the winter season easily
Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 AM

thats the problem with electric buffers, if you dont know exactly how to control it you will get those swirl marks... however doing it by hand reduces the swirls. I do it by hand with meguiars wax, it works really well. Good idea for that is to upgrade from the applicator they give you to a microfiber one, helps a lot also.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor

At one time or another we all have been victims of those swirl marks, swirl marks are creatures that will target our beloved paint surface, however on their defense they don’t discriminate you. All they do is prefer black paint.

Getting rid of them is time consuming and takes hard work, with the correct tools, products and procedures you can indeed remove them. In some extreme cases, extreme effort and procedures are needed.

One day we can go deep into the subject, but rather than discuss the “How” to remove them, What I like to talk about is the “How” to avoid them, very often no one talks about ways to prevent them, the most frequent ones are

1- Automatic Car washes
2- Wrong type of Microfiber towel
3- Wrong type of wax
4- Wrong type of pads
5- Wrong type of machine
6- Harsh polishing compounds
7- Not keeping your wash mitt or sponge properly rinsed.
8- Wiping down a dusty or dirty car with a dry towel.
9- Towels and applicators containing polyester threads.
10- A dirty chamois or a chamois that has not been properly maintained
11- Using a car cover when the car or the cover is not clean.
12-Wrong type of shampoo

And few here and there, from all of those the one that MOST people overlook is the Quality of the Car shampoo, so we will concentrate on that one;

The “Key” to “ANY” good car shampoo is that it has to be PH Balance, something that you don’t find on those purple gallon jug’s at you local store for $2.99 - one of the most common mistakes by the customers is to invest in a good quality wax only to use an inexpensive /low quality car shampoo, using the wrong type of car shampoo will remove the wax that you had previously applied to protect your investment.

Like anything else in the market place, all products seek their own level of justification based on the cost of producing the product and the quality of the ingredients in the product.

The use of the wrong shampoo that won’t remove the grime and dirt combine with a low quality sponge/applicator or whatever you use to wash you car, will result on those fatal friends for you car finish- Swirl Marks.

Our car shampoo is a highly lubricated formula with its unique foaming quality’s and quick rinse characteristics SAFELY lifts dirt and grime while helping to prevent swirls from washing.

Now, there’s one good point about inexpensive car shampoos, you will save money Immediately , however in the long run it will cost you xxxx times more, so is up to you save your money now or save your investment in the long run.

If you ask one of my neighbor’s, all car shampoos are the same.

One of the BEST way’s to prevent those swirl marks is to rinse the surface thoroughly prior to wash the vehicle then invest in good quality towels/wash mitts and especially the Car Shampoo.

Regarding the Orbital Buffer- Inexpensive Orbital Buffers spin at a fixed speed that is very slow in combination with their large surface area of contact they are not very effective at removing swirls marks not to mention the quality of the orbital buffer pad by itself, because of the large pad surface it is extremely difficult to get into small areas.

That’s why many people prefer a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher - Just to mention the most popular as there’s many others on today’s markets. When using the Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. Start at a speed of 5 and use moderate pressure to go over a 2 x 2 sq. ft. area. After swirl removal, use a white polishing pad to refine the surface to a nice shine.

Swirls Marks are very shallow scratches, it only takes a little blending to level the swirl marks with the surrounding paint. As an example if you were to used our Turbo Wax Swirl Remover and Final Polish which contains millions of tiny white abrasives that gradually disappear under the friction of the pad.

If we move to the pads, there’s many choices but the most common ones are

Standard Industry color-code for buffing pads:

Yellow Foam Pad - for Heavy duty Compound
Orange Foam Pad - for Light duty compound
Green Foam Pad - for Compound/Polish
White Foam Pad - for Polish
Black Foam Pad - for machine glaze
Blue Foam Pad - for Polish/Sealant

Recently a new generation of pads have been developed which we now endorse;

Permanently Mounted on Pad
8.5' Total Diameter
Velcro Back with Centering Ring

New innovative foam pad design that is safer and faster. The new design is a recessed back flexible ring permanently glued on the Velcro side so the backing plate is centered on the pad every time. You can center the plate one just one hand in seconds and the center ring prevents the backing plate from cutting threw the foam pad and making contact with the paint.

Another benefit of the center ring is that when you have a true centered pad on the polisher the final finish is even and the technician will have less fatigue in their arms.

The face of the center ring pads will have a hexagon cut design which will allow for the chemicals to be distributed better while buffing and keep the heat down as well.

What separates us from the rest is that we don’t just lay sheets of foam with Velcro and die cut them, we manufacture our foam pads with recessed backs to protect and eliminate any accidents a technician can do while buffing. Flat pads are great but if you have an exposed backing plate edge you can hit the paint and cause damage that will set you back.

New generation of buffing pads, hexagon squares that will help trap the polishes while buffing and reduce the heat buildup when the user is buffing. The hexagon pattern on the pads also helps distribute the polish more evenly giving you a better finish, special black ring on the back of the foam pads is to center the backing plate, provide protection from the backing plate making any contact on the paint, foam pads are made from the BEST materials . Made in U.S.A.

Ring provides instant one hand centering
Ring prevents backing plate cut threw
Ring system is fully washable.

I hope this helps you to re think the inexpensive route