Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Quick tips for washing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick tips for washing

Do this in the shade or in a garage preferably if you can
1 Use Microfiber washmitt or Boars hair brush to wash
2 Use two buckets 1 for soap/water mix and the other clean water to rinse mitt/brush
3 Wash tires and wheels first but not with same mitt or brush that will be used on car
4 Wash car starting at top and work down
5 Rinse thouroughly with water using a stream not a spray. (top down)
6 Dry using microfiber or clean forced air

When taking care of your Microfiber and wash mitts wash them but DO NOT use ANY fabric softener. If they dont look nice and clean anymore use them for rags and get new towels.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Um, I do wheels last, because it's the dirtiest. I don't want brake dust anywhere near my paint.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 AM

Optimum No Rinse works great, and you can do it in the garage
Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 AM

who the hell doesnt know how to wash a car...theres like 2230984208934 threads of clay bars and other crap and you think of "washing car tips"

man we got people stretching wheels and **** already. who cares if your cars clean or not when you have stretched wheels!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

I learned nothing
Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mrfitz
Um, I do wheels last, because it's the dirtiest. I don't want brake dust anywhere near my paint.
So now you cleaned the car and then the wheel and tire now dirt can spray up on your clean paint. Thats why you wash wheels first. But you dont use the same tools for tires as your car!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 395 plus
So now you cleaned the car and then the wheel and tire now dirt can spray up on your clean paint. Thats why you wash wheels first. But you dont use the same tools for tires as your car!
That doesn't make sense. No, the dirt doesnt get sprayed on the car... and if it did, it is much easier to rinse the area quickly as you're rinsing the wheel...

If you do wheels first and use the same bucket of soap, then you are going to be rubbing brake dust particles into your paint.... And I sure hope that someone wouldnt use a wheel brush for their paint...

Wheels and tires last...

Then rinse the whole car again and dry it with a chamois. Using a DIFFERENT chamois to dry the wheels and inside the trunk/doors.

Oh, and why "stream not spray"??? I use spray not stream. Why concentrate water pressure on small areas of paint unless you want to wear the paint out? You know that little thing in America called the GRAND CANYON? That was carved out by flowing water.

Spray not stream. No wonder your wheel debris sprays all over your car.

Last edited by mrfitz; 11-25-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't like the idea of using a brush on paint, no matter how soft.

Good effort though.

Sticky:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/hatrickstus-detailing-how-116717/
Old 11-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mrfitz
That doesn't make sense. No, the dirt doesnt get sprayed on the car... and if it did, it is much easier to rinse the area quickly as you're rinsing the wheel...

ANswer: Everyone I see washing a car uses a Sprayer on the end of a Hose when you spray the wheels and tires the dirt from them will spray up onto the vehicle if you have already washed the car you just sprayed dirt back on a clean car. If you do the wheels first before wetting the car when you rinse and then wet the car you dont have that.

If you do wheels first and use the same bucket of soap, then you are going to be rubbing brake dust particles into your paint.... And I sure hope that someone wouldnt use a wheel brush for their paint...

Answer: I spray wheels and tires down with wheel cleaner, scrub with a mitt, and rinse. No brush. I use the hose to rinse the Mitt in between each wheel. NO BUCKET for them.

Wheels and tires last...

Then rinse the whole car again and dry it with a chamois. Using a DIFFERENT chamois to dry the wheels and inside the trunk/doors.

Oh, and why "stream not spray"??? I use spray not stream. Why concentrate water pressure on small areas of paint unless you want to wear the paint out? You know that little thing in America called the GRAND CANYON? That was carved out by flowing water.

Spray not stream. No wonder your wheel debris sprays all over your car.
Answer: OK stream of water is a slow running amount of water out the end of the hose not full blast. And it less likely to get into everything than Using pressure through a sprayer. Also using a lite Stream requires less drying because there no little beads all over the car it will run off leaving very little water left anywhere except the cracks. Just try it once take the sprayer off and turn the water on just alittle and starting at the top let the water run down going all the way around the car and watch the water sheet off the car.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 AM

Less Drying? Drying is almost as important as washing! lol.

To each his own, whatever works for you.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 395 plus
Answer: OK stream of water is a slow running amount of water out the end of the hose not full blast. And it less likely to get into everything than Using pressure through a sprayer. Also using a lite Stream requires less drying because there no little beads all over the car it will run off leaving very little water left anywhere except the cracks. Just try it once take the sprayer off and turn the water on just alittle and starting at the top let the water run down going all the way around the car and watch the water sheet off the car.
Commonly known as "flooding the vehicle"...

He is correct, if you flood PROPERLY the beads will be washed off the vehicle by the flood of water running down the panels. This will usually leave smaller beads (or if you are waxing properly slim to nothing at all) so you avoid water spots and mad amounts of water left on the vehicle when it comes time to dry.

As for wheels last, I do mine first with a dedicated wash mitt and cheaper soap than what I do the body with. Once the wheels are done the buckets (wash and rinse) are cleaned out, filled with fresh soap that I use on the body and I use my dedicated wash mitt for the body itself.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 AM

Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Banned

The ignorance in this thread is amazing.

It's ok though, we all know you guys have the 'swirl mod' and we don't.