Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Removing swirls and other scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Wax
try again and let us know how it work for you, maybe you can do a write up for first time users, because by then you will have the experience
haha it will be a bit till I get the time to try again but ill give it a shot!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM

ok I just got a chance to watch that vid, really good stuff. My question is, am I gonna have to do that every time I wash my car? Cause damn thats a process....how do I prevent swirls from happening again?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor

At one time or another we all have been victims of those swirl marks, swirl marks are creatures that will target our beloved paint surface, however on their defense they don’t discriminate you. All they do is prefer black paint.

Getting rid of them is time consuming and takes hard work, with the correct tools, products and procedures you can indeed remove them. In some extreme cases, extreme effort and procedures are needed.

The most frequent ones that will create swirl marks, BUT not limited

1- Automatic Car washes
2- Wrong type of Microfiber towel
3- Wrong type of wax
4- Wrong type of pads
5- Wrong type of machine
6- Harsh polishing compounds
7- Not keeping your wash mitt or sponge properly rinsed.
8- Wiping down a dusty or dirty car with a dry towel.
9- Towels and applicators containing polyester threads.
10- A dirty chamois or a chamois that has not been properly maintained
11- Using a car cover when the car or the cover is not clean.
12-Wrong type of shampoo

New automotive paint finishes are harder and far more durable than the paint finishes of just a few years ago. As a result, new cars look good much longer and resist road damage. The bad news is that the hard paint makes repairs more difficult. Even fine swirl marks can be a challenge to remove.

I hope this helps
Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 PM

sweet thanks! How do I know the right type of microfiber? and clearly I only use your products so no worries on that one
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Former Vendor

Microfibers are tiny fibers that have been slit into millions of finer fibers
that are no thicker than one hundredth of a human hair.

The special slitting process produces an ultra-fine fiber with wedge shape filaments and a core of nylon. The wedge shape, the nylon core, and the smaller size fiber are the key to their effectiveness. When these tiny fibers are woven together into a cloth through a unique weaving method, the result is a powerful cleaning tool. Each cloth consists of tens of thousands of tiny storage compartments that lift the dirt up, trap the waste and leave a clean streak-free surface. Thy nylon core within the microfiber form tiny cutting edges that break up surface dirt and easily absorb and remove oils and other grimy substances. The only solvent you need is water!

One of the most important developments in recent years has been the technology to extrude extremely fine filaments (less than 1.0 denier) while maintaining all of the strength, uniformity and processing characteristics expected by textile manufacturers and consumers. These “microfibers” are even finer than luxury natural fibers, such as silk . This comparison, coupled with their exceptional performance, has led some in the industry to refer to microfibers as “supernatural”. They live up to that name.

In many product lines, it is the luxurious feel and look of the fabrics which makes microfibers so special. In others, it is this unique physical and mechanical performance.

Consider, for example, the advantages of polyester microfiber when used in outerwear. A raincoat or jacket made from 100% microfiber will be much lighter and more comfortable than one made from conventional fibers. Since the small filaments pack closely together, they provide a wind barrier to prevent loss of body heat and assuring comfort on chilly days. This close packing of fibers, together with polyesters' natural resistance to wetting also gives the fabric the ability to repel rain.The non-wetting surface of the fibers causes water to form beads (like rain on a newly-waxed car). These beads are much larger than the spaces between the yarns and water is effectively locked out. And this is done without the need for chemical treatments or coatings which can make the fabric heavier and less able to "breathe". Fabrics from microfibers, on the other hand, breathe well. Although the spaces between the yarns are too small to be penetrated by liquid water, they are ample for the passage of moisture vapor, leaving the wearer dry and comfortable.

This is only one example. Microfiber yarns are now available for most major generic fibers. They can bring their outstanding performance to a wide variety of end uses.

For quick cleaning, hand wash with any hand soap or dish washing liquid;
rinse well.

For thorough cleaning use the washing machine. Microfiber loves hot water --
the hotter the better. It makes the microfiber swell to release trapped
dirt. You can use regular laundry detergent such as Tide.

It's best to wash microfiber cloths separately from cotton towels.

Do not use LIQUID bleach or fabric softener.

Turbo Wax Micro fiber Wash Mitt vs Turbo Wax Micro fiber Wash/Polishing Mitt, what's the difference ?

Both mitts are 100% Microfiber but the weaves are quite different. The construction of the White Loop Wash Mitt allows it to cut through dirt and grime more easily. The finer fibers on the Wash/Polishing Mitt make it a good all around mitt. Both can be used for washing or polishing

Turbo Wax Super Flush is one of the BEST microfiber towels on the market today.

I hope this Helps

Old 05-03-2009, 12:07 AM

damn tons of info! haha hopefully tomorrow I will have a full day to devote to washing my car, just gotta get started early so the sun isnt out and right over it haha, thanks again! Id take pics my camera is crummy and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference
Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 AM

So I tried it again....still looks bad haha. I cant get those swirls off or any scratches really! I watched the vid even took notes and followed it but still no luck...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

Maybe you need a more aggressive pad
Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM

hey stevo walk me thru your process.....when i started i had a hard time removing them...what pad/chemical combos are you using??
Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Umm white pad for swirl remover, blue for wax all Turbo Wax Products. I did exactly to the T what the video did you sent me
Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Former Vendor

I see the FIRST problem already, white pad for swirl remover, you need an orange pad for the swirl remover so we need to start all over.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 PM

yea you need to go a lil more aggressive if that combo isnt working...
Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 AM

Can I buy pads in stores or only online? and where exactly would I get them? is blue for wax ok? what color for pre wax? I actaully didnt do that step though
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor

NEW Product - New Generation of Foam Pads-Center Ring Foam Pads

Permanently Mounted on Pad
7.5' Total Diameter
Velcro Back with Centering Ring

New innovative foam pad design that is safer and faster. The new design is a recessed back flexible ring permanently glued on the Velcro side so the backing plate is centered on the pad every time. You can center the plate one just one hand in seconds and the center ring prevents the backing plate from cutting threw the foam pad and making contact with the paint. Another benefit of the center ring is that when you have a true centered pad on the polisher the final finish is even and the technician will have less fatigue in their arms.

The face of the center ring pads will have a hexagon cut design which will allow for the chemicals to be distributed better while buffing and keep the heat down as well.
What separates us from the rest is that we don’t just lay sheets of foam with Velcro and die cut them, we manufacture our foam pads with recessed backs to protect and eliminate any accidents a technician can do while buffing. Flat pads are great but if you have an exposed backing plate edge you can hit the paint and cause damage that will set you back.

New generation of buffing pads, hexagon squares that will help trap the polishes while buffing and reduce the heat buildup when the user is buffing. The hexagon pattern on the pads also helps distribute the polish more evenly giving you a better finish, special black ring on the back of the foam pads is to center the backing plate, provide protection from the backing plate making any contact on the paint,foam pads are made from the BEST materials . Made in U.S.A.

Ring provides instant one hand centering
Ring prevents backing plate cut threw
Ring system is fully washable.

Yellow Foam Pad- Use for Heavy duty Compound
Orange Foam Pad- Use for Light duty compound
White Foam Pad- Use for Polish
Green Foam Pad- Use for Compound/Polish
Black Foam Pad- Use for machine Glaze
Blue Foam Pad- Use for Polish/Sealant
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM

i really need to get some yellow pads....but i would say

orange - compoound or swirl remover
white- swirl remover or polish
grey- pre-wax cleaner
blue-wax/sealant
Old 05-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Cool, thanks guys. So can I get these in stores or just online?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM

i dont know...i get mine off the web at autogeek or turbowax...
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Hmm ok, which ones exactly do you get? Thought it would just be easier instead of waiting haha
Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM

orange is the most agrressive i have used....

but i have orange, white, grey, blue
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM

hmm ok thanks guys. Ill have to order one of autogeek unless theres a better one out there, just the generic one right? Once I get it in and have time Ill try it out and let you guys know!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Hey, I have a sort of related question. I had some major issues with my paint a little over a year ago (white epoxy overspray on black car) and it's a long story, but I'm guessing my paint is pretty much shot. What I wanted to know is if it is normal for my hood to have at least 25-50 small chips in the paint? I mean even after I wash, polish, wax it still looks like the hood is covered in tiny white specs. I have not driven in particularly harsh environments (like gravel or sand) that I know of, but this is also the first new car I've owned and wondered if that was fairly normal for 2.5 years/25K miles of wear on the paint or if it could be related to all of the crappy detail work (in my opinion) that was done to my car to fix the overspray. Thanks and I will be using this thread for reference as soon as I can borrow my dad's random orbital polisher.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Sounds like rock chips I got the same problem, Im curious as to how much it would be to get my front end painted over along with my hood
Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
Hey, I have a sort of related question. I had some major issues with my paint a little over a year ago (white epoxy overspray on black car) and it's a long story, but I'm guessing my paint is pretty much shot. What I wanted to know is if it is normal for my hood to have at least 25-50 small chips in the paint? I mean even after I wash, polish, wax it still looks like the hood is covered in tiny white specs. I have not driven in particularly harsh environments (like gravel or sand) that I know of, but this is also the first new car I've owned and wondered if that was fairly normal for 2.5 years/25K miles of wear on the paint or if it could be related to all of the crappy detail work (in my opinion) that was done to my car to fix the overspray. Thanks and I will be using this thread for reference as soon as I can borrow my dad's random orbital polisher.

Holy **** another G-rap boy... i got an 08' TC (black) and i'm having the same problem... clean and polish her and looks like little white rock chips/pits and it pisses me off so it's not just from the work you had done. where abouts in GR are you? we should meet up sometime cause theres not alot of SS guys here around town lol
Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo
Sounds like rock chips I got the same problem, Im curious as to how much it would be to get my front end painted over along with my hood
Well I gotta get some work done on my front bumper (some ******* backed into me in the parking lot and didn't leave a note) and I'm gonna see what they quote me to do the hood as well. Because really, the rest of the car is pretty decent, it's just the hood and front bumper that have taken a beating.

Originally Posted by kissmySS08
Holy **** another G-rap boy... i got an 08' TC (black) and i'm having the same problem... clean and polish her and looks like little white rock chips/pits and it pisses me off so it's not just from the work you had done. where abouts in GR are you? we should meet up sometime cause theres not alot of SS guys here around town lol
I think they should start using a darker primer on black cars. Seriously I think that's the biggest problem that we're seeing. On a lighter car, the same chips would be pretty much invisible.

I'm in SE GR, just near the border of downtown & Wyoming--Garfield Park area. Yea I don't see many SS's around either, but I have seen a pretty hot chick driving around in a red one. I got a buddy w/ an '07 Stang GT that would love to race you btw. He test drove the TC and loved it, but was able to get a great deal on the Mustang.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
Well I gotta get some work done on my front bumper (some ******* backed into me in the parking lot and didn't leave a note) and I'm gonna see what they quote me to do the hood as well. Because really, the rest of the car is pretty decent, it's just the hood and front bumper that have taken a beating.

I think they should start using a darker primer on black cars. Seriously I think that's the biggest problem that we're seeing. On a lighter car, the same chips would be pretty much invisible.

I'm in SE GR, just near the border of downtown & Wyoming--Garfield Park area. Yea I don't see many SS's around either, but I have seen a pretty hot chick driving around in a red one. I got a buddy w/ an '07 Stang GT that would love to race you btw. He test drove the TC and loved it, but was able to get a great deal on the Mustang.
Yeah I used to live over in A-heights on Godwin St., but yeah we should all meet up sometime soon... Lemme know just text me or something (616) 666-2449 my name is Bobby btw

Quick Reply: Removing swirls and other scratches