Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help
View Poll Results: Should the War Stories Section be Removed?
Yes
33.63%
No
66.37%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: War Stories Section Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it will help. They'll just post in the lounge
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 AM

next were going to see them remove all threads involving driving your car, because driving your car puts you at risk of killing someone. people come to this site to learn and have fun, dont get rid of the war stories section.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned

Yes take it down. street racing is for idiots, its illegal dangerious, and has no business on the street period. If you want to race take it to the track. And maybe have a section for those to post their times done on a legal track for racing
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Whining-devil
next were going to see them remove all threads involving driving your car, because driving your car puts you at risk of killing someone. people come to this site to learn and have fun, dont get rid of the war stories section.
think you're taking this a little too far.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demento
Yes take it down. street racing is for idiots, its illegal dangerious, and has no business on the street period. If you want to race take it to the track. And maybe have a section for those to post their times done on a legal track for racing
Some people don't have tracks in they're area. My track is closing after this month for good. Also another thing, I'm sure people on here do "spirited" backroad driving, that's kinda in the same boat as street racing. Honestly you can die sitting still in traffic if a semi plows into you.

I really don't see a huge deal with the war stories section. Why make performance modifications to your car if your not going to use the power? Like I said before if you don't like the section stay out. If you don't like illegal activity don't look at stories about it.

ya street racing is illegal and dumb but sometimes it just happens and i do enjoy reading about what some people have beat either cars or track times

I didnt buy my car to drive it fast on a track once every two weeks, also most of the videos i have seen there was no other traffic so wheres the danger? 2 drivers consent just like at a track and if there is no traffic who else is in danger? and if a wreck should happen that just keeps the fire dept and police dpt busy and working, DO NOT REMOVE THE WAR STORIES SECTION thank you
Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by demento
there are sections for that. they've been around for years man.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 AM

Let's get back on topic.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

ok, back on topic here.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ramrod1337
and if a wreck should happen that just keeps the fire dept and police dpt busy and working
...Yes, because wasting emergency personnel, resources, and funding over some dumb ass kid is a positive thing
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM

When I first joined this forum I saw there was a section called "war stories"

It really set the tone and my initial opinion of this forum.

Its a bad thing for a forum to have, especially since its filled with threads about street racing, which is dumb and for sissies who dont know how to real race.

Stories about racing should go in a racing section and any thread started in that section to tell the story of a street race sould be locked.

Then you wouldn't need a war stories section.

And no, lol. 99% of the people on this forum dont know when its appropriate to street race, because its never appropriate.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the moderators voted yes, and most of the members voted no.

So I say we remove it and everyone can blame it on me
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Black SS/SC 06
I say get rid of it. The poll take a minute to show up after you make the thread.
I agree.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM

hows about we put it in the dungeon?
then make it to where every new thread there is locked right off the bat.

we satisfy both sides of the trenches here:
we prevent the possibility of trolls, arguements, etc. (cant argue when its locked)
it would improve the feel that ss.net does not condone street but accepts the right to talk about it.
and it would keep the kiddos from posting up race stories in other sections. (because some people are going to post up stories regardless of the sections)

it would still leave the section for us to browse through, get some lulz and kill some time.
which is why it was there in the first place
Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ronn
Do you think the forum will be *better* if it ignores *the elephant in the room*?

If the *powers that be* on this forum want to play down this *taboo topic*, I would suggest that the title of the thread be changed from *War Stories* to something more *tame* to placate those who find the topic controversial. I'm not of that opinion , but I would support it. Perhaps something like *Street Stories*, which takes away the *glorification* factor that is currently in the title.
^I like this...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM

I can't confirm or deny that I have or have not ever "street raced" or that I do or do not have "war stories", but some of these people who post in that section are clearly 1) stupid, or 2) straight up lying. Of the various "war stories" I've bothered to read, there are only a handful, if that, that even somewhat reflect reality at all.

On the other hand, however, if the basis for removing said forum is "street racing is illegal", then, in the same spirit, the site should not allow any threads or discussions involving installing and aftermarket downpipe or exhaust on a car, simply because altering the emissions control system on a car is allegedly a federal offense (in some locales, depending on where you live). Where I live, the removal of the catalytic convertor will ensure that you do not pass inspection, which renders your car unregisterable, and therefore not legal to operate on a public road.

You can't speak out of both sides of your mouth...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM

But this isn't a forum dedicated solely to the operation of chevy cobalts on public roads.

Its not realistic to say that everyone on this forum who modifies their car in a fashion that makes it non "street legal" for DOT, EPA, or FMVSS reasons do so and never drive their car on public roads again but this is the reason most other forums allow talk of modification but not talk of street racing.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

You can't view a single thread on this site without being a member, so my vote is leave it for the people that do like street racing.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Forget the fact that its dangerous. Assume its 100% safe for now. Read the threads in the section, a good chunk of the threads contain fights between members. Why do you want this to continue and be showcased? All it does is to help set the tone for the rest of the forum that its ok to attack other members like Karlen's post.

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
You can't view a single thread on this site without being a member, so my vote is leave it for the people that do like street racing.
Incorrect.

Last edited by Mr.N00bLaR; 10-13-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor

Everytime I try to link a thread, nobody can see it that isn't a member, especially the war stories section.
Edit: I tried again and could view the Shibito vs ZZP thread. Sorry. That mustve changed recently

Last edited by BYT*SS*TURBO; 10-13-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM

why make a poll about this if you are going to shoot down anyone that votes against your opinion. stupid thread.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 AM

It's not about "liking" street racing, or trying to "stop" street racing. It's about trying to convey what kind of community this is. It's illegal and childish, and you do not want to be the community promoting or allowing discussion of illegal activity.

Besides, it makes the community look immature. If there is a "War Stories" section, make it "1/4 Mile War Stories" or "Track War Stories". Even though there is already a track section, if it's advisable to keep this, there should be some limitations set to it.

We're not all 18 year olds who just got their first car and think that hot rodding down side streets or doing 40 over the limit on the high way. So I don't think there should be a section condoning that kind of activity either.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 AM

I guess to sum up my opinion...War stories could stay, but I'd like a change of policy about street racing.

I'm not opposed to a section about racing. Hell I love racing. Its what I do.

I dont think, from a business standpoint, its wise to provide a venue for people to talk about an unarguably illegal activity. Its hard to get advertisement money when said advertisers hear you are under investigation for harboring illegal activity.

Where's the B&E section at? lol.

I'm really glad this thread exists. It shows me that the mods are concerned with creating and enforcing forum policies.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor

There's a lot of illegal things people do, don't push your opinion and think everyone has to agree. You never roll thru a stop sign? you NEVER speed even 1mph over the limit? You never forget to put on your seatbelt or text while driving??? Most do and they are all just as deadly...

Street racing has been around forever and is part of the culture IMO. If you don't like it, ignore the section. Im sure you (and many other members really) don't view every section on here anyway, so just make that another one.

Quick Reply: POLL: War Stories Section Removal