Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Koni shocks and struts VS coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
gotta be a canadian beer eh? like its got more powa!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would the specs on the YYZ springs be?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
You're confused on how shocks and our suspension works. You don't blow out shocks by running them near the bottom. You ruin them when you do things like cut the bump stop, and bottom them out internally so that components crush each other. It doesn't matter what part of the range you run the shock at, the valving should be consistent.

As for rear shocks in our cars, most, including those included in some coilover kits, have the exact same range as stock. The rear twisting beam configuration prevents you from lowering the car excessively without other issues coming into play, like banging on your exhaust.

And fyi, anyone can dampen their shocks with a bucket of water. I, however, prefer adjustable damping
So the rear twisting beam, would be more for people that are looking to lower their car, so really, since that doesn't interest me at all, then that probably wouldn't be worth it for me?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 AM

So, what all suspension parts would you guys recommend for someone that was looking for a drag setup / daily drive that has no interest in lowering just for looks?
Personally I'd like to be able to clear things and be able to drive where I want.

Last edited by nutty21; 07-04-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Former Vendor

I thought I had answered your questions fully, please email if you need more information. thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
I thought I had answered your questions fully, please email if you need more information. thanks
No, I've never received a reply. I've checked my junk mail also.
Never seemed to made it through. Would you be able to resend it possibly from your sent folder if you don't mind? It's be really appreciated and thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWD drag setup will be extremely high spring rates... we run 18k in the rear of my buddies del sol and 14k up front. but its a 700hp car on 25" slicks... nothing off the shelf for the cobalts will be right for you except maybe on of the KW setups. You might do well to see what people like ZZP and the other fast guys at the track car running and see if they can aim you in the right direction. If i go coilovers it'd be KW or Stance GR+ as they seem to be the best so far
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nutty21
bump
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/susp...ension-202915/

its a sticky I beleive
Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Yeah I read that one over, but it doesn't really specify drag much. Mentions lowering a lot. I don't really car about lowering. Really interested in what all would lead to the biggest improvements in a drag set up in order.
What would be the greatest improvement. I'd say tires obviously.
Next would be all suspension, but where I'm stuck is the exact parts.

I'm really interested in hearing the full specs on these springs you have coming out too.

Would be just nice to know what you guys off / recommend and what things show the biggest improvement for the buck.

I need to start replacing things as I bottom out sharper corners, and put a few people in the car and bottom out if the car hits the tiniest of bump.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RoadconeTuning
FWD drag setup will be extremely high spring rates... we run 18k in the rear of my buddies del sol and 14k up front. but its a 700hp car on 25" slicks... nothing off the shelf for the cobalts will be right for you except maybe on of the KW setups. You might do well to see what people like ZZP and the other fast guys at the track car running and see if they can aim you in the right direction. If i go coilovers it'd be KW or Stance GR+ as they seem to be the best so far
Yeah, 18, 14, those are some nice numbers, but where does one get springs like that. Everyone keeps recommending the same old same old. No one else talks about 18k on here. For coilovers looking at the sticky, all I see are 7k max.
I asked ZZP aslo. All they told me was to buy their K-Sport Coil-Overs, which again is coming no where close to those numbers.

K Sport - K Sport Coil Over Struts #KS-CCV040-KP

I don't know. Was just looking for some exact part numbers for some good gear, but all I seem is the same basic stuff. Only thing that seems to be a lot different is the price tag...
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nutty21
Yeah I read that one over, but it doesn't really specify drag much. Mentions lowering a lot. I don't really car about lowering. Really interested in what all would lead to the biggest improvements in a drag set up in order.
What would be the greatest improvement. I'd say tires obviously.
Next would be all suspension, but where I'm stuck is the exact parts.

I'm really interested in hearing the full specs on these springs you have coming out too.

Would be just nice to know what you guys off / recommend and what things show the biggest improvement for the buck.

I need to start replacing things as I bottom out sharper corners, and put a few people in the car and bottom out if the car hits the tiniest of bump.
drag racing you chain the front down and lift the back up high as you can. Impossible for the street.