Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Rubbing sounds, no rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing sounds, no rubbing

I'm lowered on stance COs, varrstoen 17x9.5 (dom's old wheels), power grid end links, LNF front sway bar, the passenger axle is stock but the driver side is a napa axle.

When turning to the left at speed I hear a sound as if the wheel is rubbing the fender lining, last night I turned into my garage (turning wheel to the right) and I heard the same sound but much louder. My first guess was wheel bearing, but since it made the sound past night I'm not sure.

I'm not sure the end links are installed correctly so I'm going to adjust those tonight, anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See if you hear the sound when you wiggle your exhaust. I had the same issue.... sounded kind of like a rubbing noise when turning, but particularly if under a bit of throttle. Turned out it was the exhaust sheild right up against the exhaust kind of in the back in front of the rear axle/beam thing.

As for the endlinks, post pics of how they're installed and someone here will help you.

If you don't have steering rack spacers, you might want to look into those. I don't know if they help with rubbing but they should help with bump steer.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have my old wheels that I sold to DOM. They did rub on my car at full steering lock
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by casionerd
See if you hear the sound when you wiggle your exhaust. I had the same issue.... sounded kind of like a rubbing noise when turning, but particularly if under a bit of throttle. Turned out it was the exhaust sheild right up against the exhaust kind of in the back in front of the rear axle/beam thing.

As for the endlinks, post pics of how they're installed and someone here will help you.

If you don't have steering rack spacers, you might want to look into those. I don't know if they help with rubbing but they should help with bump steer.

Good luck.
It's definitely coming from the front and only turning. I already modified my head shield in the rear so it didn't rub. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
You have my old wheels that I sold to DOM. They did rub on my car at full steering lock
Ah. So you are the man?
What's weird is its a howl when turning slightly to the left at about 35 mph. And the sound from last night sounded like the axle. I've done lock to lock to check clearance and they clear. But I'm not all the way low, YET.