Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Suspension/strut setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension/strut setup

I’m considering finally getting some lowered suspension on my stock cobalt ss. I was wondering what some good springs and strut setups were. I was looking at the zzp lowering springs with the kyb excel-g struts but I heard some negative reviews about them. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:34 AM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
The thing about lowering springs is that you also have to take into consideration the angle of the steering (ie: rack and pinion, and drivetrain). It's recommended to go with a rotated trans mount and if required a small spacer so you're not causing a bind on the axles. This is probably where most of the complaints are at because they didn't do their research first.
KYB is a good strut, I'm sure the springs are fine. If you want the best with a bit of a drop, Powell's YYZs are the gold standard (I have them, they are fantastic).
Old 10-21-2022, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProfDNS
The thing about lowering springs is that you also have to take into consideration the angle of the steering (ie: rack and pinion, and drivetrain). It's recommended to go with a rotated trans mount and if required a small spacer so you're not causing a bind on the axles. This is probably where most of the complaints are at because they didn't do their research first.
KYB is a good strut, I'm sure the springs are fine. If you want the best with a bit of a drop, Powell's YYZs are the gold standard (I have them, they are fantastic).
I’ve actually been looking for those YYZ springs for a while but everywhere seems to be sold out. I daily my cobalt and are also wondering if the ride is still decent enough that I would be able to daily without too much discomfort.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Love my yyz v3
little bit lower but really Added to handling. No push back that sometimes occurred on hard cornering with the stocks. It’s recommended that you use koni yellow shocks if you are gonna road course it supposed to be the absolute best handling setup for the balts. I just ran new lnf ones and it’s still better than stock.
they are definitely a bit harsher than stock but nothing unlivable. Better than any coil overs I’ve ridden on in other peoples balts. Our roads are about as bad as they get here and I still drive it just about anywhere. Make sure your spring isolators on the back ones are still good. I didn’t do mine when I changed them and I get a bit of a clunk in back. They needed to be done but no one had them at the time and I didn’t realize how bad they were. I never did do them as they are stupid expensive for some reason.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
I've had my V5 YYZ's for years, and they are perfectly tolerable for daily driving. I'll agree with the above though, even with the short drop it would be advisable to do mounts and rack spacers.

It seems you are right though, finding a set currently seems hard, only thing I could find was a used set in Ebay.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:23 PM

Received 84 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdubbs
I've had my V5 YYZ's for years, and they are perfectly tolerable for daily driving. I'll agree with the above though, even with the short drop it would be advisable to do mounts and rack spacers.

It seems you are right though, finding a set currently seems hard, only thing I could find was a used set in Ebay.
Yeah I love my yyz's. I got the last version Powell came out with. The car handles incredible combined with bilstein shocks in the rear. powell rear sway bar, zzp front strut bar etc.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:44 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
In Powell we trust!