Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Is 2bar map tuning possible on LE5

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 2bar map tuning possible on LE5

I know that the stock LE5 computer is a 1bar map system. And i know to safely and reliably boost you will need a 2bar map setup. Now my questions are...with HPtuners:

Can it be done? if so...

how?

If not possible now...will it become possible?

and will it be a lot of work/money?

this should hopefully help clear up a lot of my questions (and others)...keep the bullshit to a minimum people...this is a serious thread.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Yes, but since a commercial product being released soon relies on the solution I'm not going to spill all the beans.
Someone asked around the HP tuners forum and they replied with no support for 2 bar solutions in 4 cylinder apps yet.

BUT by switching some sensors out with those from an LSJ you can in fact get the LE5 to function as needed under boost and not throw any codes.

I have done this with a 2007 Sky and will be verifying it on an HHR soon. Weather it is cold start safe is another issue, but CARB will be answering that question soon.

We used LS2 edit to make it happen but HP Tuners can do it too..
Old 01-28-2007, 09:27 PM

After some looking.. your going to have to do everything mass flow based and tweak it from there. It wont be perfect, but you will need a good MAF cal to start with for airflow beyond the stock range.

Last edited by TVS_SS; 01-30-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:17 AM

ok so yea...in lamest terms can you both repeat all that...

i dont know tuning jargon very well...so help me (and others who dont) get an understanding...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HiSpdPursuit
ok so yea...in lamest terms can you both repeat all that...

i dont know tuning jargon very well...so help me (and others who dont) get an understanding...
simply put, you replace your 1 map sensor with a SS/SC 2.0L LSJ's map sensor...then you can tune the boost.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by TCarter
simply put, you replace your 1 map sensor with a SS/SC 2.0L LSJ's map sensor...then you can tune the boost.
Umm, not really. You can replace it, and rescale the voltage, but you can't tune for it. The lack of a 2 bar OS and fueling requirements which are dependent on cam angles cannot be changed. (well they can, but they won't be correct because commanded cam angle cannot be changed). Basically you can tune for MAF fueling and run the VE table out of range. Might throw a p0068 Map-Maf correlation error which results in limp mode, but you can have that test not run. If it doesn't run, you lose things such as cruise control and I/M emmissions won't go ready. Also ignition tuning above 1 bar is nonexistant as well. The car can be tuned for boost, its just a pain in the butt and the electronic throttle doesn't help matters either.

The new HPTuners release allows you to change p0068 error resolution (delta TPS-MAP and a few others) and adds new VE parameters, none of which I've had a chance to play with yet. Theres always LS2edit, not sure if they offer a 2 bar OS for the 2.4 or not, but the ECM is definetly supported by them. I have reason to believe that was Hahn's solution for the 2.4 kappas.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM

gonna be trying this on thursday with a 2 bar map i got from ZZP. Suppossedly they did it with success.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Witt
Umm, not really. You can replace it, and rescale the voltage, but you can't tune for it. The lack of a 2 bar OS and fueling requirements which are dependent on cam angles cannot be changed. (well they can, but they won't be correct because commanded cam angle cannot be changed). Basically you can tune for MAF fueling and run the VE table out of range. Might throw a p0068 Map-Maf correlation error which results in limp mode, but you can have that test not run. If it doesn't run, you lose things such as cruise control and I/M emmissions won't go ready. Also ignition tuning above 1 bar is nonexistant as well. The car can be tuned for boost, its just a pain in the butt and the electronic throttle doesn't help matters either.

The new HPTuners release allows you to change p0068 error resolution (delta TPS-MAP and a few others) and adds new VE parameters, none of which I've had a chance to play with yet. Theres always LS2edit, not sure if they offer a 2 bar OS for the 2.4 or not, but the ECM is definetly supported by them. I have reason to believe that was Hahn's solution for the 2.4 kappas.
Witt,
Without the 2 bar OS I tend to agree that proper SD and ignition fueling are not possible. However, there are those that claim to have accomplished this (somehow) w/the E67 ECU and the virtual VE tables. Any insight you could provide would be appreciated!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah VVE will ultimately be the answer for most E67 applications, we are working on a little somethin somethin

Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Running boost on the LE5 2.4 E67 is easy!

And the OEM OS is, well, 1.8 bar capability, too, when you look at the fueling tables.

The VVE is a PITA (currently), but the simple solution is to turn VE off and run pure MAF.

I've been running a little over 11 PSI boost for nearly a year without issue and running smooth throughout the operation ranges without issue.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mike@ostdyno.com
Witt,
Without the 2 bar OS I tend to agree that proper SD and ignition fueling are not possible. However, there are those that claim to have accomplished this (somehow) w/the E67 ECU and the virtual VE tables. Any insight you could provide would be appreciated!
From my understanding EFILive is currently compatible with the stock OS and tuning VE without disabling the VVT.
Originally Posted by BennyHHR
Running boost on the LE5 2.4 E67 is easy!

And the OEM OS is, well, 1.8 bar capability, too, when you look at the fueling tables.

The VVE is a PITA (currently), but the simple solution is to turn VE off and run pure MAF.

I've been running a little over 11 PSI boost for nearly a year without issue and running smooth throughout the operation ranges without issue.
Thats how I tune 2.4 turbos.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM

MAF Only Tuning

Bill,
I asked you about the VVE yesterday in an email and you said it would not be available for the E67. Has that changed? If so, please send me the beta update at your earliest convenience and thanks in advance!

BennyHHR & Witt,
We successfully tuned an E67 in MAF only mode last night and it was pretty straightforward. Car ran great and more importantly the customer was very pleased!

Witt,
Where in Pgh are you located?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mike@ostdyno.com
Bill,
I asked you about the VVE yesterday in an email and you said it would not be available for the E67. Has that changed? If so, please send me the beta update at your earliest convenience and thanks in advance!

BennyHHR & Witt,
We successfully tuned an E67 in MAF only mode last night and it was pretty straightforward. Car ran great and more importantly the customer was very pleased!

Witt,
Where in Pgh are you located?
No, you asked me specifically about this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...hlight=bluecat which is for a custom operating system. At this time we have no short term plans for E67 custom operating systems...at this point in time we've realized they are simply too much work to do in any reasonable amount of time.

VVE is completely different and can and will be implemented for all of those E38/E67 vehicles in due time. While custom operating systems have their place they are just a ton of work on our end that bottleneck everything else behind them very very quickly.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by foff667
No, you asked me specifically about this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...hlight=bluecat which is for a custom operating system. At this time we have no short term plans for E67 custom operating systems...at this point in time we've realized they are simply too much work to do in any reasonable amount of time.

VVE is completely different and can and will be implemented for all of those E38/E67 vehicles in due time. While custom operating systems have their place they are just a ton of work on our end that bottleneck everything else behind them very very quickly.
Bill,
Sorry and thanks for clarifying!

So when will the VVE for the E38/E67 be available?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Its hard to say, we've added most of the code for it already but its currently setup for only 1 bar sd whereas most would likely use it for 2/3 bar so theres still some code that needs to be written or added. Additionally we've been in beta for far too long so it likely won't be in the next public version as right now we want to get this beta stable enough for public release before we figure out any timelines for additional features/support.