Tuning For tuning and related discussions

DYNO VS. STREET TUNE, discuss....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your intro thread on my site is getting alot of love Andrew.....lol
Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 AM

<---New to tuning. What can I expect to pay for a fair street tune price? What should I expect the tuner to actually do for that price? Dyno tune price? I am in Fayetteville, NC. Tuner recommendations would be great also. I am just trying to preven my noobness from getting me taken advantage of,
Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Bahh this again.

I'd love someone to explain to me how dyno tuning "isn't the real world"...

Friction, wind resistance, temp? Seriously guys? Seriously? Do you honestly think about these points your arguing before you type them out and post them online?

Dyno tuning eliminates variables so you can tune your car for optimum performance.

Whether you tune on a dyno in optimum situations for max power, or in a "real world" street senario, the tune will never be 100% correct every single time you press the go pedal.

Don't bullshit tho about how street tuning takes into account all the situations encountered in the "real world", cause if that were the case you would have different maps for every gear, air temp, vehicle weight, air density, etc, etc.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM

End this thread. Too much debate ****.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Hahaha. I didn't read anything but newt's post, and I can already tell what has been going on in here

"You're stupid"

"Nuh, uh. you're stupid"

"You don't know what you're talking about"

"YOU don't know what YOU'RE talking about"

"Must be cuz you're stupid"

"Must be cuz you're gay"

"your mom's gay"

.......Yeah. These threads are the greatest.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM

um...guess I posted my question in the wrong thread,
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kain35m
Hahaha. I didn't read anything but newt's post, and I can already tell what has been going on in here

"You're stupid"

"Nuh, uh. you're stupid"

"You don't know what you're talking about"

"YOU don't know what YOU'RE talking about"

"Must be cuz you're stupid"

"Must be cuz you're gay"

"your mom's gay"

.......Yeah. These threads are the greatest.
Ya, cause I was calling everyone stupid in my post....oh wait, no I wasn't.

What I was getting at is neither one is perfect, but people were acting like street tuning is better cause it takes into account "real world" variables.

There are way to many however to ever get the tune perfect, which makes it no better at that point that dyno tuning.

Its personal preferance.

Still all bum hurt tho I take it from our arguements in the past?...its ok, I've long moved on, you clearly haven't however.

Its been a slow week at work tho, so feel free to get into it with me again, I got nothing but time, well between 8-5 anyways...LOL
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Ok. Apparently you are still thinking about old stuff because I didn't even bring any of that up. Actually, I was, albeit subtly, giving you a compliment, and using your post to illustrate how idiotic other peoples posts must have been to get you to the point of saying what you said.

Sadly, my praise was probably lost in the venom filled eyes of the reader and wound up with yet another agglomeration of baseless internet insults and hate. Leave the hate behind, old friend. I honestly don't dislike you nearly as much as you think. So stop with the silly insults, please. and turn your attention back to the people who were, obviously, the real problem.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:57 PM

My threads are LEGIT. lol
Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by newt
Bahh this again.

I'd love someone to explain to me how dyno tuning "isn't the real world"...

Friction, wind resistance, temp? Seriously guys? Seriously? Do you honestly think about these points your arguing before you type them out and post them online?

Dyno tuning eliminates variables so you can tune your car for optimum performance.

Whether you tune on a dyno in optimum situations for max power, or in a "real world" street senario, the tune will never be 100% correct every single time you press the go pedal.

Don't bullshit tho about how street tuning takes into account all the situations encountered in the "real world", cause if that were the case you would have different maps for every gear, air temp, vehicle weight, air density, etc, etc.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter.
That would make sense if you only drove your car on the dyno. You WANT those variables.

The biggest thing here, especially for the LNF, IS the wind. Heat soak is a big problem with these cars AFAIK and putting 2 or 3 little fans in front isn't gonna get you the proper cooling you need. For example, go 85 mph on the highway and put your hand out the window then go to a dyno and put your hand in front of the fans. There is a MASSIVE difference.

Another point with the wind is the resistance since you brought it up. Your car on the street will see large amounts of wind which will add load to the engine which in turn will make the engine perform differently. That's what you want to tune for since that's the condition you drive in. This one might be minor almost insignificant but based on the laws of physics, it's valid.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SS_Bumble-Bee
<---New to tuning. What can I expect to pay for a fair street tune price? What should I expect the tuner to actually do for that price? Dyno tune price? I am in Fayetteville, NC. Tuner recommendations would be great also. I am just trying to preven my noobness from getting me taken advantage of,
Depends on if you want HPTuners or Trifecta. Go to Trifecta's website for their pricing. As for HPTuners, the software will be around $500 then your tuner will typically charge ~$250. Some are cheaper and some are much more but that's a good average. I have experience with James (Chevycobaltss3). You might try contacting him. He tuned me and I am happy with his work.

Dyno tuning is pretty variable too. One place here by me charges $250 for a basic dial in tune and then something like $150/hr after that. You could easily drop $500 on a dyno tune.

The benefit to going the first route is that you can data log. You could also buy HPT and then go to a dyno. Just have to make sure someone there has experience tuning Cobalts especially which ever one you have (LNF or LSJ) as they each have their own little quirks.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All i am going to say is your wrong. That is.. Ther is 12345678908765432345678987654323456789087654323456 78909876543212345678909876543212345678987654321`12 34567890987654345678909876543234567890987654321234 567898765432wqw345678 threads about whats best. The correct way to do it is to street tune to hit the cells you cant with the dyno like low end or top end where you need to put a load on car within the braking system and ect. theres alot of **** to do.. So the dyno is the fine tuner. The main cells you will hit..

Ya, cause I was calling everyone stupid in my post....oh wait, no I wasn't.

What I was getting at is neither one is perfect, but people were acting like street tuning is better cause it takes into account "real world" variables.

There are way to many however to ever get the tune perfect, which makes it no better at that point that dyno tuning.

Its personal preferance.

Still all bum hurt tho I take it from our arguements in the past?...its ok, I've long moved on, you clearly haven't however.

Its been a slow week at work tho, so feel free to get into it with me again, I got nothing but time, well between 8-5 anyways...LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frogstofall
That would make sense if you only drove your car on the dyno. You WANT those variables.

The biggest thing here, especially for the LNF, IS the wind. Heat soak is a big problem with these cars AFAIK and putting 2 or 3 little fans in front isn't gonna get you the proper cooling you need. For example, go 85 mph on the highway and put your hand out the window then go to a dyno and put your hand in front of the fans. There is a MASSIVE difference.

Another point with the wind is the resistance since you brought it up. Your car on the street will see large amounts of wind which will add load to the engine which in turn will make the engine perform differently. That's what you want to tune for since that's the condition you drive in. This one might be minor almost insignificant but based on the laws of physics, it's valid.
Well that only works then if you drove your car at the same speed you street tuned in....most people do 3rd gear pulls for street tuning. So what happens with the cooling effects if you go WOT in 1st gear? or 2nd gear? or 4th gear?

Plus the cooling depends on air tempature, tune your car when its 75* out in 3rd gear, now its 95* out, your car has been idling through traffic, and you decide to go WOT in 1st and 2nd....now what?

See what I am getting at? That alone makes your wind resistance/cooling effect theory irrelevant.

So again, like I said, you can't tune for ALL the variables when street tuning, so these "real world" conditions don't make it better than dyno tuning.

Chevycobaltss3 did make a good point about hitting certain cells you might not be able to hit while dyno tuning, which is the only legit thing I have heard so far.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Well that only works then if you drove your car at the same speed you street tuned in....most people do 3rd gear pulls for street tuning. So what happens with the cooling effects if you go WOT in 1st gear? or 2nd gear? or 4th gear?

Plus the cooling depends on air tempature, tune your car when its 75* out in 3rd gear, now its 95* out, your car has been idling through traffic, and you decide to go WOT in 1st and 2nd....now what?

See what I am getting at? That alone makes your wind resistance/cooling effect theory irrelevant.

So again, like I said, you can't tune for ALL the variables when street tuning, so these "real world" conditions don't make it better than dyno tuning.

Chevycobaltss3 did make a good point about hitting certain cells you might not be able to hit while dyno tuning, which is the only legit thing I have heard so far.
I see what you're saying but what about the heat soak issue? You didn't address that. Are you saying its not a problem with dynos?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat soak is a issue with dynoing ecause you can not push 130mph winds or even 100mph. Steady with rpms. Also if they made a fan setup that went with rpms and the temps outside it would be perfect But i have only seen two setups like this and they were insouthern cali. (Heat). But it istill doesnt cover heat soak.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:20 AM

Well, even though you guys are divided on the subject, there was a lot of good info here.

James, add Eastern Missouri to your signature bro.