Tuning For tuning and related discussions

local tuner or cobalt tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
local tuner or cobalt tuner?

After about 7k in new and upgraded parts i Took a trip last night to visit a reputable tuner in Florida. (I wont mention a name as i don't want it to turn into one of those threads) Regardless I drove 3 hours to get out to his house to find out it was to late for him and I had to turn around and drive another 3 hours to get home. My question is at this point would i be ok with just getting a local shop to tune the car on a dyno or is it worth it to try and make the trip out again?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Was your trip northbound on 75 by chance?

If it is who I think it is, then it is well worth it to have him do it. I drove down from St. Augustine to go see him and would do it again in a heartbeat. Make an appointment with him and he will give you all the time you need to get it done and done right.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM

yea we are talking the same person. I PMed him abit before hand and agreed to do it that day but I ran behind and called to say I was on my way out and asked him to call me back if it was going to be to late. never heard back from him and I tried to call back about every hour to let him know where I was at hoping hed say it was to late for him to do everything. Got in his area prob about 9:30PM or so and him being in the middle of nowhere couldn't find his drive way. Tried calling a few times but his phone was off
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a miscommunication on both your parts, but sort of more so on your part imo. With that long of a drive you should hav been 100% sure that getting there as late as you did was ok with him before even leaving your house. Granted he should have called you back, but without a return phone call from hime you should have probably just rescheduled. Quite honestly, I don't really blame him for not wanting to tune you that late at night though. Aside for even the normal time it takes to dial in a solid tune, sometimes **** happens during the tuning process that you can't forsee and I'm sure he didn't want to get ***** deep in something that could potentially strand you there or take hours to resolve.

Just my view of things.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Sounds like a miscommunication on both your parts, but sort of more so on your part imo. With that long of a drive you should hav been 100% sure that getting there as late as you did was ok with him before even leaving your house. Granted he should have called you back, but without a return phone call from hime you should have probably just rescheduled. Quite honestly, I don't really blame him for not wanting to tune you that late at night though. Aside for even the normal time it takes to dial in a solid tune, sometimes **** happens during the tuning process that you can't forsee and I'm sure he didn't want to get ***** deep in something that could potentially strand you there or take hours to resolve.

Just my view of things.
This
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Im not mad at the guy or anything. I get it. Bummed I didn't get a phone call back but hey maybe his phone really wasn't working . Also not really the topic I wanted for this thread. My question was if knowing this would you take the 6 hour drive ( both ways) for a cobalt tuner and try again or take it to a local shop for a dyno tune
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
I wouldn't take it to a tuner who doesn't know anything about the car. I recommend him fully. Setup a time that works for both of you and then do it. If he wasn't so Far I'd drive and get it tuned personally lol
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eqaddictedfool
Im not mad at the guy or anything. I get it. Bummed I didn't get a phone call back but hey maybe his phone really wasn't working . Also not really the topic I wanted for this thread. My question was if knowing this would you take the 6 hour drive ( both ways) for a cobalt tuner and try again or take it to a local shop for a dyno tune
Hey I am sorry my phone was not working. It was on but had no signal and I did not realize it until 9:30 pm when I tried to send a text and it said error no service. If you want to come up on Sunday morning I would be more than happy to dial the car in. 10 pm was just too late because I had to get up early this morning as my wife is in surgery right now.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure getting any tune from Term would be well worth the drive again
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Terminator2
Hey I am sorry my phone was not working. It was on but had no signal and I did not realize it until 9:30 pm when I tried to send a text and it said error no service. If you want to come up on Sunday morning I would be more than happy to dial the car in. 10 pm was just too late because I had to get up early this morning as my wife is in surgery right now.
If this is the surgery that I think it is, I approve of this message.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
If this is the surgery that I think it is, I approve of this message.
Oh damn! Screw your moderator status sox-fan, I'm goin straight over your head for this one. Pix or ban for both of you if that's the case with term's wife!!

j/k....

sorta..
Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM

I just sent you a PM, Terminator2.

I really just wanted to know if a Cobalt tuner was worth the trouble or if a local tune would be okay. And maybe I am really itching to get it done ASAP, too. :P I definitely understand not wanting to put my car in someone's hands who usually works on other cars, and that's a good point to raise. So it seems that it is worth the trouble. Thanks, guys!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Oh damn! Screw your moderator status sox-fan, I'm goin straight over your head for this one. Pix or ban for both of you if that's the case with term's wife!!

j/k....

sorta..
It is going to be 4 weeks or so before she is fully healed so no pics for a while yet.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by eqaddictedfool
I just sent you a PM, Terminator2.

I really just wanted to know if a Cobalt tuner was worth the trouble or if a local tune would be okay. And maybe I am really itching to get it done ASAP, too. :P I definitely understand not wanting to put my car in someone's hands who usually works on other cars, and that's a good point to raise. So it seems that it is worth the trouble. Thanks, guys!
I can vouch for him. I can also agree that finding the driveway, if you don't know what you're looking for, is not easy. Blasting up and down that road while Dave is logging is fun though!