Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing

Could someone give a quick explanation on how to change the timing in the big table? I mean there is a ton of numbers in there, so I guess I need to figure out where to add or take away timing in accordance with the cylinder pressures, but I don't quite undestand how to figure the cylinder pressure deal out. I have a real good understanding on the fuel now, but that timing table has me all sorts of confused now. I know I'm a NOOB at tuning, but very interested and willing to learn!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 PM

the more g/cl the more map pressure and lower timing. theres high octance for hp and low octane for safety with knock etc. you advance/add degrees for hp and torque and decrease to reduce knock and better emissions etc. in the cobalt the low octane is very generous adding to the low octane by averaging is your best bet.

Also make sure u are logging the right knock total retard and etc for throttle not tps. thatll get you for messing with PE. have fun.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by RedHotJamLedJimi
the more g/cl the more map pressure and lower timing. theres high octance for hp and low octane for safety with knock etc. you advance/add degrees for hp and torque and decrease to reduce knock and better emissions etc. in the cobalt the low octane is very generous adding to the low octane by averaging is your best bet.

Also make sure u are logging the right knock total retard and etc for throttle not tps. thatll get you for messing with PE. have fun.
Ok I understand that, but if I datalog will it show me where I need to make those changes. I really need to read up on datalogging as I still haven't done that yet. I tuned today on the street with two of my buddies starring at the wideband while I drove and tried to watch as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Ok I understand that, but if I datalog will it show me where I need to make those changes. I really need to read up on datalogging as I still haven't done that yet. I tuned today on the street with two of my buddies starring at the wideband while I drove and tried to watch as well.
did you get the hptuner pro version?Just use the input on there tied into the wideband output.for logging I'll send you a couple scanner config files.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
If you have the patience, try to learn the VCM Scanner portion of hptuners before the editor. Learn to log your car the way it sits now before you make any timing changes, that way you'll be 100% in the know and on the safe side to detect any problems. Lurk around the HPTuners forums and a few other more active tuning forums such as the LS1 and redline ones. They'll show you the basics as far as HPT logging goes as its a bit different then most other engine management software.