Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Want to learn to tune using HPT for 2.2SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to learn to tune using HPT for 2.2SC

I bought HPTuners Std cause I got tired of waiting on slow poke to update my tune. Well I flashed my car back to stock so I could pull the factory tune and take a look at all the wonderful parameters. Was I in for a surprise... being a outdoor power equipment technician I understand EFI in theory (I feel like everything I knew is wrong now) but all this VE vs PE vs MAF tuning and the related variables make me wish this car had a carb and distributor. Plus what's up with their being a Variable Cam section in here? Weird...

Regardless, I still want to learn to tune this thing. Pretty sad that handheld 2-cycles are going to Fuel Injection (Stihl has the TS500i and Husq AutoTune is not a true FI sys as it is a carb with a solenoid in replacement of the adjustment needles).

Ok enough of that, here is what extra goodies I want to accomplish with my tune:
Set Rev Limit to 7k
Make use of the 2.5 TMAP (Going to tie the Temp into the IAT Temp)
Disable Cat Warm Up Mode
Keep Water Temps Under Better Control

I'm not looking for a HPT file (though it would be nice to have something to compare to), but rather someone who is willing to show/help me tune this thing the right way.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Press F1 and read the help section

Then log onto hPt forums and read
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
The VVT tables don't do anything to the car. They're just there, just like the bank 2 oxygen sensor settings are. You can ignore those. Here's a helpful link. https://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php It's the tune repository. Don't actually use those tunes, but use them as a baseline to start your tune.

Some helpful things to start with: Throttle opening rate. See my thread in this forum on how to do this. The 2008 E37 pcm has this function. Disable it completely. Set all values to 100%.
Transmission tune: Do you have an auto trans? If so you'll want to mess with the shift pressures and points. I set my 3->4 shift to 116mph and 6000rpm at full throttle. I also bumped the pressure up on all shifts. Do NOT exceed the max, but for safety sake I don't exceed 82psi. I increased my mpg considerably by fine tuning my trans.

I'm not sure what you mean by cat warm-up, but you can disable Cat Over Temp. Protection. Go to Engine, Fuel, COT/Lean Cruise, and disable COT protection.

To raise your Rev Limiter, you need to do a lot of things. Raising the limit alone won't necessarily let your car get to a higher rpm. Raising the limiter alone is under Engine>Fuel>DFCO/Cutoff>Extreme Cutoff. But you'll also need to raise your limits in the transmission section.

You can control when the fans come on as well under the cooling section.

I can get pics if you want them.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JapEatr
Then log onto hPt forums and read
That's the thing though, I can't seem find anything close enough to what I'm accomplish. I mean if i was still N/A or was a stage 3 LSJ or LNF there is all kinds of resources.

Originally Posted by supernovanator
The VVT tables don't do anything to the car. They're just there, just like the bank 2 oxygen sensor settings are. You can ignore those. Here's a helpful link. https://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php It's the tune repository. Don't actually use those tunes, but use them as a baseline to start your tune.

Some helpful things to start with: Throttle opening rate. See my thread in this forum on how to do this. The 2008 E37 pcm has this function. Disable it completely. Set all values to 100%.
Transmission tune: Do you have an auto trans? If so you'll want to mess with the shift pressures and points. I set my 3->4 shift to 116mph and 6000rpm at full throttle. I also bumped the pressure up on all shifts. Do NOT exceed the max, but for safety sake I don't exceed 82psi. I increased my mpg considerably by fine tuning my trans.

I'm not sure what you mean by cat warm-up, but you can disable Cat Over Temp. Protection. Go to Engine, Fuel, COT/Lean Cruise, and disable COT protection.

To raise your Rev Limiter, you need to do a lot of things. Raising the limit alone won't necessarily let your car get to a higher rpm. Raising the limiter alone is under Engine>Fuel>DFCO/Cutoff>Extreme Cutoff. But you'll also need to raise your limits in the transmission section.

You can control when the fans come on as well under the cooling section.

I can get pics if you want them.
I just wanted to make sure Vince had the right factory tune for it seeing how the 08 models didn't have VVT whereas 09 did.

Nope got the legendary Getrag F23, ok maybe not legendary but the F23 manual nonetheless.

By cat warm up I mean the cold start loping where she running extra pig rich to bring the cat up operating temp. Sounds horrible and runs way rough, but then again its below 10AFR at startup. And thats letting the wideband heat up before cranking. I'll probably leave the cat over temp protection on unless it causes driveability issues.

There again I'm manual so I shouldn't have to worry about transmission settings. I did notice that the Fuel Cut under Control Method for Cutoff, DFCO is set to disabled. Is it recommended to cut fuel and/or cut spark? Most of stuff I work on will pull timing and then start cutting spark to keep the motors from over revving.

Fan settings seem to be pretty straight forward, but I didn't know if anyone had a good config to keep the temp optimal and the fans from running too much. I will say Vince had it set pretty much spot on.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 AM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by nathanroe72
By cat warm up I mean the cold start loping where she running extra pig rich to bring the cat up operating temp. Sounds horrible and runs way rough, but then again its below 10AFR at startup. And thats letting the wideband heat up before cranking. I'll probably leave the cat over temp protection on unless it causes driveability issues.

Fan settings seem to be pretty straight forward, but I didn't know if anyone had a good config to keep the temp optimal and the fans from running too much. I will say Vince had it set pretty much spot on.
That would likely be due to it being in open loop when you start the car. In open loop the car doesn't use feedback from the O2 sensors from what I've learned.

I'm glad to see someone learning. My HP Tuner has taught me many things but I can't really tune my A/F because I don't have a wideband. Was gonna buy one May31st, then lost my job lol.